Original Sin Statue for RPGWatch

I want that game desperately!

Alpha keys will be coming our way for those who won a key in our raffle.

Alpha keys will be coming our way for those who won a key in our raffle.

Yay! Err... wait I didn't realize they made alpha access free to all backers? That means I think I'll have one to give away.

Downloading as I type. :) My Witcher 2 Iorveth path playthrough may be paused.

I too don't remember alpha access as part of the deal. I think Larian added it later? Just shows how good those guys are. :)

Last edited:
Had to edit the "..\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\PlayerProfiles\Eoc\inputconfig.xml" in order to be able to rotate cam (MMB not working) - does this really only rotate... like 60 degrees?

First Look:
I played the alpha version for 11 hours and solved most quests in this area.

I played a team of Warrior + Wizard

Positive:
++ Good stat, skill, traits system
++ many quests, subquests
++ nonlinear game
++ combat with friendly fire
++ skill checks in conversations
++ much humor, dialogs are fun
++ good story - you start with a murder quest -> like Ultima VII :)
++ world interaction: digging, secret buttons, secret entrances
++ enemies have a fixed level -> no auto scaling
++ inventory is good, sorting function not implemented yet
++ you can barter with nearly everyone

Negative:
— combat way too easy
— Wizards are too strong (game is not balanced yet)
— running around / guiding your chars / camera could be more "fluid"

Bugs:
one crash to the desktop in 11 hours
inventory can get corrupted if you collect too many things

This game reminds me a lot of Ultima 7. The quests are already fun, combat needs to be more challenging. -> Good stable alpha!

Last edited:
Now that I finally got around to playing it it makes me so so pumped for the full release. Dialogue resolution is as cheesy as I expected, but it's still fun for some reason.

I played with it for a bit (got access with my KS pledge) - I don't see this being ready for the end of Feb. Still seems a bit rough around the edges? They still have to go to beta and then the final shippable version. It's fun though, and they have fixed some issues from the earlier version. I do not like the limited camera a angle rotation - why not allow full rotation at a fixed angle?

First Look:

Negative:
— combat way too easy
— Wizards are too strong (game is not balanced yet)

I was playing with a Warrior and a Ranged Character (Survival skill tree) and combat was VERY DIFFICULT, bordering on impossible. I was going north of the harbour, fighting with orcs if you want specifics. But I also got my ass handed to me by skeletons outside the town to the Northwest.

As part of the fundraiser we have won (amongst others) the following:

• Design an Item
    RPGWatch
    Please describe an item. Give it a name and a backstory. Also describe, if applicable, what it can be used for. Please keep your item within the fantasy realm. You can create an item that can be picked up or a heavy, unmovable item. Your item will be in the final game for everyone to find and use.
  • Design a NPC
    RPGWatch
    Please choose a name for an NPC, race, and gender. You can choose what it should look like to a certain extent.
The following has been mentioned already:
Item
"Specs of the Watch" : lets you see in the dark
"Lens of the Watch" : focuses the sun's rays, particularly useful against insects.
"Glass of the watch" : When used on a scroll or book, translates text in other languages.

Spyglass of the Watch: Lets you see enemies from a distance beyond the Fog of War.

The Magic throne.
Sitting on this throne increases your powers tenfold with an accompanying glow effect. Unfortunately this transformation only works in the throne room. Created by a wizard/king that had a treacherous court. Used mostly for show. The down side is you need a healer after the power wears off.

NPC
"The watcher on the shore" - can tell you if any ships have passed by recently…
Maybe he could man that watchtower that Larian are going to put somewhere.

The watcher. A time traveler stuck in the Divinity World with no way to get back. The traveler is a regular guy from our time that stumbled onto the time machine (reverse of Futurama). People from the divinity world think he's crazy because he's always talking about cars, planes, computers and televisions. They always tell him who needs all those mechanical gizmos when we got magic. The watcher remembers some science from school, so the local give him some respect, but he is not a scientist an messes up quite a bit.

As for the NPC I agree with calling it The Watcher but was thinking of something like a Golem, for example Shale from Dragon Age. He could be a statue that has looked out into a city seeing all the things that have come and gone. Magic has brought the statue to life. Now that the golem can move and talk it offers pithy comments. Maybe it could say comment on your decision and whether they are a waste of time or not, just like the site steers us toward good RPG's to play and away from the crappy ones.

I would like to invite you all to name add your ideas of a good item and or NPC that fits RPGWatch.

Design an Item

Magical, weathered oil lamp is my suggestion.

OilLamp_Beauty-A.tga03006d4d-4d09-42d0-b40c-e7eecd799ad6Large.jpg

It's even a 3d piece they could buy and use.

Some ideas as for what it could be used for — feel free to modify.

Name: Weathered Oil Lamp of the Watch

Backstory: Made by <legendary blacksmith> for the First Commander of the Watch, <Name>, in the Age of Legends (or the First Age, or something like that — Opportunity to tie this item in with our other game-related things). Passed on from Commander to Commander during the centuries, it was often improved functionally and incrementally invested with magic. At some point lost and completely drained it falls on the player to find it for the current Commander and bring it back to its full glory (could tie in with some quests).

Uses: Obviously light-related. Some ideas:
+ Detect monsters. Pulse when monsters are nearby (like those ping devices in Aliens), or simply glow in a different color.
+ Detect monster strength. Stronger monsters make the lamp glow stronger.
+ Illuminate hidden secrets (with some drawbacks to make it balanced)
+ Change color based on NPC disposition
+ Would be cool if it could be made an UI element.
+ If you rub it, something happens.
+- needs oil? or unlimited oil?
- Doesn't work against Codex imps or anything related to the Codex for that matter.

Could be an item with different levels, e.g. at level 0 it's broken, at level 1 it's like a torch, at level 2 you get to detect monsters, and so on.

I like the idea of the time traveler.

I give it a thumbs up.

The Watchers are a secret society that collects and deals with information.
You need to find an rare item in the world? - they know the location - for a price.
Adventurers, Kings, Witches and Outcasts are contacting the Watchers whenever there's is a lost thing to find, a person to search or a secret to detect.
They are hard to find and only a few people know how to reach them.

Most people like them except their archenemies … the rotten imps from the Codex. In a battle for information and might these two forces are fighting for centuries.

If the player is a friend of the Watchers he can buy secrets for a (high) price.

Unfortunately he'll have a hard time with the Imps… unless he knows the secrets to play both sides…

Last edited:
"The Watcher" suddenly reminds me of 2 things :

- "Watcher Of The Skies" - a song by Genesis,

- "The Watcher And The Tower" - a Watcher shown on the front cover of Mike Oldfield's "Crisis" album - and mentioned in the lyrics of its title song …

Combined, it could be some figure like the Watcher in the very beginning of Monkey Island 1 … Only with his or her glasses being clear … ;)

He might be watching the sea - looking out for an possible arrival of the player characters ? For the Codex Imps ? For anyone else ? For the Ancient Mariner, known from Tolkien's early tales ?

I must say that I'm quite fond of creating easter eggs like this ... ;)

The Watchers are a secret society that collects and deals with information....
According to the last information I have, The Watchers aren't that secret. They are watchers of the realm and fight the little red trolls that are preparing to roam the lands.
That said, this is information of last year. Who knows what is going to be in the game upon release :)

okay ... :)

The spies of the Watchers are a secret society that collects and deals with information.
You need to find an rare item in the world? - they know the location - for a price.
Adventurers, Kings, Witches and Outcasts are contacting the Watchers whenever there's is a lost thing to find, a person to search or a secret to detect.
They are hard to find and only a few people know how to reach them.

Most people like them except their archenemies … the rotten imps from the Codex. In a battle for information and might these two forces are fighting for centuries.

If the player is a friend of the Watchers he can buy secrets for a (high) price.

Unfortunately he'll have a hard time with the Imps… unless he knows the secrets to play both sides…

Anybody know what happened to the beta keys? I got my alpha key from Myrthos quite a while back, but never got the beta. I'm playing an outdated version of the game according to the Larian pages. I'll send M a PM.

I'd say if the item and such wasn't submitted quite a while back, then you've missed out. The game is due out in a month :)

Back
Top Bottom