Sands of Space - old school TBC RPG

dmonin

Watcher
Hi everyone!

Currently I'm working on my scifi RPG "Sands Of Space". It will be cyberpunk turn-based combat, like Fallout 1-2 or Underrail, as you can see in video below:

Right now I have already implemented a combat mechanics, basic control and dialog system. Next step will be inventory. And also I have a draft with my ruleset and perks. Ruleset and perks I guess it's one of the hardest task ever. So thats why I'm here to post my progress sometimes and get any help with correcting ruleset :)

Thanks for watching and any suggestions are welcome!

Graphcs, Movement and Sound are quite smooth and cool.

The combat itself looks lackluster though.
-The Enemy Attack is as boring as it could get (boring sound, and no projectile or anything like that)
-I don't see any tactics envolved. It seems to be: Shoot until everyone is dead. With the only tactical decision to decide whom to kill first. So maybe add in some skills to make the combat more interesting.

I can recommend to check out Underrail as well as Balrum, which both offer quite good single character combat. Might give some inspirations.

Really nice atmosphere. Is it going to be strictly single player character or might you recruit some companions / party members at some point?

I've only played the alpha demo of Underrail a bit. Was kind of put off by the sheer amount of combat & I normally tend to prefer turn-based combat w/ multiple party members, so I haven't bought it yet. I'd definitely be more interested in something structured like Fallout 1 / 2.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Just want to share some updates:

1. Path highlighting
walk_new_path.jpg

2. New enemy statistics
hit_new_stat.jpg

Thank you!

Hi!
Just sharing development process here!

1. Speech bubbles added! NPC shows random phrases now!
2. Added path highlighting and path cost. I mean it's in combat mode of course.
3. Dialogs! We have a dialogs! But UI will be modified in a future, but functionality now working properly.
4. Added action pie menu! Do you likes pies?
5. Combat mode improvement - now you can hit the enemy throught a window, glass etc. Yeah!
6. Barrels now are explosive and it's your friend in combat. Just hit them and it will show the holy fire!
7. Fixed bugs. You really don't want to know what it was.

Just check it out on this video:

Looks very good! GL! Destructible environment is very nice!

Hi! Yet new progress!
Long story short I have added a outliner for objects that player can interact with, new monster Derelict and Psy Derelict with invisible feature, new HUD, ammo reloading, new UI for dialogs and notifications for quests.

And here the timeline
00:00 - 02:18 fight with Derelicts and Psy Derelict
02:18 - 02:54 new UI for Inventory
02:54 - 03:28 big badaboom

The outliner works like in Underrail. You can press Tab and it will highlight the objects near the player to reduce pixel hunting. Also the color of outliner is depending on what object it is. For example
1. None NPC (lockers, stuff on floor etc.) — blue outline
2. NPC not in battle mode with player — green outline
3. NPC in battle mode with player — red outline

As you can see the new enemy Derelict is in a game, two version of him actually. Psy Derelict and Derelict. The Psy Derelict is invisible and he is the leader of group. Thats mean other Derelicts near the Psy Derelict attack with more damage. And if Psy Derelict is dead they become weaker.

Thank you!

Hi guys!

Well, all this time I have been working on a code behind. And right now, I finished most of all basic game mechanics that all rpg games must have.
Just quick status of my work:

1. Quick responsive on player action. I really don’t like games with a bad response
2. Pick up objects, drop objects from inventory, etc. UI of inventory still in progress
3. 'Fog of war' and dithered transparency of NPC who is not in the visible range of the player
4. A lot of work with pathfinding and bug fixes. So right now, all "remote" pick up objects and falling throw the textures in a past!
5. Mechanics of psy attack. The vfx in the video is temporary and it will be changed. It's just for test right now

Here is the video. I used booooring test location. And that's only for the one reason - show the progress.

From now on I have started working on visual part - models, arts, concepts, animation, sounds, vfx and other cool things!
And here you can see the first concept one of the Power Armor - "Kernet":

Kernet_lore2.png

Futuristics car's:

JqSGx7rn1fA.jpg

s8Z5pfLsvVg.jpg

C43yPo0dZp8.jpg

vh7rhnLo7ro.jpg

It was designed by https://kvaksagon.deviantart.com art artist!

Also, the new UI, decals are already in progress.

In the next update I will tell more about characteristcs, perks, levels and combat details

Thanks!

Just found out about this game today and I must say I like it. I'm curious if you have a release date in mind? Also I love the setting, and hope your game gets completed.

Just found out about this game today and I must say I like it. I'm curious if you have a release date in mind? Also I love the setting, and hope your game gets completed.

Completely agree, it looks great and wasn't on my radar either. I'd be interested in hearing about the timescales for development as well!

Back
Top Bottom