Favorite first-person shooters

Blood, Quake, Wolf3D

UT99 and Q3A used to be great in LAN days...

I hope you're refering to Alien and Predator films, not alien vs predator films :biggrin:

No, no...only Predator I&II. Few people are able to appreciate them . ;)

Catacombs Abyss
Wolfenstein 3D and all expansions
Doom
Quake 3
UT and U2
Anything Half-Life
FarCry
Jedi Knight
Counterstrike
DoD
Red Faction
Halo 1
Max Payne
The early CoDs and Battlefields

I did feel bad about shooting all those animals for upgrades. :D

Yeah, what's up with that? Games need to stop doing this.

I'm tired of being level 1 in an RPG and fighting harmless bunnies or little critters that aren't even aggressive towards anyone.

I made this comment watching the latest Final Fantasy XV video. You're fighting essentially what look like rhinos, giraffes, bison that don't even act aggressively towards you. I mean, come on.

If you design an RPG, just leave out the wildlife, or anything resembling harmless wildlife. Make every enemy a gruesome, violent killing machine in one way or another, to at least give some justification that you are acting in self-defense, not slowly exterminating the latest endangered species on the planet you're exploring.

MMORPGs can definitely take note of this. "Oh, you're level 1! Go slaughter those extremely cute, harmless, hopping things in the beautiful forest down the road! Go on, shoo!"

Why.

Many years ago, I was a huge fan of MP competitive shooters.

I played all of them, more or less - but my favorites were the Quake games (1-3) - because I found them the most pure in terms of the competitive aspect. No-nonsense and 100% skill-oriented.

As for singleplayer shooters - I was never really that into them. Well, not after System Shock came around.

System Shock, to me, took the genre in a different direction - and it was SO right for me that I could just never get back to pure shooting and love it.

I mean, I've played plenty of shooters since then - but I've never loved a single one of them. Half Life was cool for the first 1-2 hours - and then it descended into shoot, shoot, shoot - boring.

I've enjoyed most of the Wolfenstein games, though - which is more about the setting, story and atmosphere. I don't find the actual gameplay very compelling.

I quite enjoyed Crysis - the first one - because it was so very impressive on a technical level - and it was very freeform in its approach, which is always nice.

I will list all the ones I've played:

* Doom
* Doom II
* Quake
* System Shock
* System Shock 2
* Aliens versus Predator
* FarCry 1
* STALKER 1
* Thief 1 (does it count?)
* GoldenEye
* Deus Ex

My favorites are probably System Shock 1, FarCry 1 and Quake 1.

I tried playing Crysis once, but the suit was too complicated for me. (I am getting old.) I played a bit of one of the Jedi Knight games, but the level design did not appeal to me. I played a bit of TRON 2.0, but lost interest near the beginning and quit playing.

I look forward to playing NOLF if it ever gets released on Steam…

Last edited:
System Shock, to me, took the genre in a different direction - and it was SO right for me that I could just never get back to pure shooting and love it.

I know what you're saying here. Half-Life was sort of that for me waaay back in the day, as it had some interesting elements I hadn't seen in shooters until that point (the scripted "cutscenes", etc..) Goldeneye, too, as you had actual missions, exploration with things to search for and find in the level, optional objectives, etc..

Looks like I really need to play System Shock soon. Never played that one.

I know what you're saying here. Half-Life was sort of that for me waaay back in the day, as it had some interesting elements I hadn't seen in shooters until that point (the scripted "cutscenes", etc..) Goldeneye, too, as you had actual missions, exploration with things to search for and find in the level, optional objectives, etc..

Looks like I really need to play System Shock soon. Never played that one.

The first hour of Half-Life is sort of like System Shock - only not as good :)

That said, even System Shock Enhanced is very, very dated. You really have to look at it in context to enjoy it thoroughly :)

Prey is relatively close to System Shock in a lot of ways - so maybe that's a better introduction this specific subgenre.

Cool, thanks. I think I'll try System Shock 2 sometime. That one seems to have some RPG elements and the like, might be more my thing.

Cool, thanks. I think I'll try System Shock 2 sometime. That one seems to have some RPG elements and the like, might be more my thing.

You haven't played SS2?!?!?!?

That's like saying you've never played a PB game.

SS2 has aged much better, especially if you add a few visual mods.

In terms of gameplay, SS2 is superior. But in terms of contextual innovation and, in my opinion, open-ended level design - SS is much better.

I also think the story is better in SS - but SS2 has a more cinematic presentation of the narrative, so…

Hmm in the last years, fpshooters bored me almost always, dont know what happened, prior to lets say 2011-2012 use to play every fps that came out, now only rpgs excite me. Anyway i guess stalker games are on top for me although they are not pure fps, return to castle wolfenstein is definitely there and from the old days, i'd say hexen, that game crept me out when i was a kid. In the last years, borderlands series and metro 20xx games, dont remember anything else that kept me stuck to the pc, might forgot something.....

1. Fallout 4
2. Fallout 3
3. Fallout New Vegas
4. Insert new Fallout game here
:D

Meh crpgnut that's not FPS shooters but hybrids.

Speaking of meh reaction, to me all shooters are meh. Always felt indifferent about FPS shooters. No love and no hate, good to idle a few minutes while brain activity drops to 0. What's worse in this story, I rock at it and pwn everything, no reflex problems here. I just… Kinda feel it's not giving me fun.
It's just not my style to shut down my brain I guess.

However there is one FPS shooter I adore as it got me invested into it with it's crazyness and antirespawn base takeover mechanics. FarCry3.
Hint: avoid stupid side activity whatever vehicles races in that game.

You haven't played SS2?!?!?!?

That's like saying you've never played a PB game.

SS2 has aged much better, especially if you add a few visual mods.

In terms of gameplay, SS2 is superior. But in terms of contextual innovation and, in my opinion, open-ended level design - SS is much better.

I also think the story is better in SS - but SS2 has a more cinematic presentation of the narrative, so…

Interesting…

Does the original have some RPG stuff in it? Would you recommend starting with the original? I generally do that in RPG series. I'd only see myself possibly skipping SS if SS2 had a lot more interesting RPG mechanics, but maybe you think the innovation and level design in SS makes up for a possible lack of those… ?

Thanks for the info.

Hmm in the last years, fpshooters bored me almost always, dont know what happened, prior to lets say 2011-2012 use to play every fps that came out, now only rpgs excite me. Anyway i guess stalker games are on top for me although they are not pure fps, return to castle wolfenstein is definitely there and from the old days, i'd say hexen, that game crept me out when i was a kid. In the last years, borderlands series and metro 20xx games, dont remember anything else that kept me stuck to the pc, might forgot something…..

The Stalker games always interested me, too. Too many games to get through, ay yi yi.

Almost forgot about Hexen. That game was pretty dope when I played it on console as a kid. I had never experienced a FPS-style game that was like that yet also had slight RPG mechanics, puzzles, etc.. Coming from playing hundreds of hours of DOOM it was definitely interesting.

Back
Top Bottom