Sucked In By Dark Souls

Had an awesome DS session today. Killed all the Demon Ruin bosses as well as the Bed of Chaos boss. Then, because I was still feeling awesomeness, I went back to Undead Asylum and killed the last boss there. Had a great run!

Good job :)
Also, told ya ;) Now you are over the difficulty curve for good.
(I suspect it was more of a mentality shift rather than gear or stats...)

Time to revisit any place that gave you grief and look around to see what you missed if you are so inclined…

Are you going for the DLC (gah still can't get over the fact that I forgot about it :S )
or the endgame ?

P.S Why didn't you kindle your fire to 20 estus if you had trouble in that area ?
Its not that humanity is too hard to come by (you can always warp back to the depths and kill a few rats if you are running out)… You have done the catacombs right ?

Are you going for the DLC (gah still can't get over the fact that I forgot about it :S ) or the endgame ?

I have the PC 'Prepare to Die' version of the game so I'm guessing that I already have the DLC? Also, I do plan on finishing the game as I don't care about PVP.

P.S Why didn't you kindle your fire to 20 estus if you had trouble in that area ? Its not that humanity is too hard to come by (you can always warp back to the depths and kill a few rats if you are running out)… You have done the catacombs right ?

I have about 130 humanity. I once spent a day farming the depths. But how do I kindle to 20? Whenever I try to kindle a bonfire more than once I get a message that I need some kind of special object.

Haven't done catacombs yet. Going to hit Anor Londo then do catacombs I think.

I have the PC 'Prepare to Die' version of the game so I'm guessing that I already have the DLC?

Of course, I somehow missed it myself. I mean its not that it was plastered all over the front page on Steam when I bought it :rolleyes: (didn't really pay attention I guess) To my defense the way in the DLC Area is not completely obvious… (Yeah that is an understatement ;) ) Was that close to happening upon it by accident though…

I have about 130 humanity. I once spent a day farming the depths. But how do I kindle to 20? Whenever I try to kindle a bonfire more than once I get a message that I need some kind of special object.
130! o_o that's quite a bit of farming! You will find out what you need at the end of the catacombs: namely the ritual of kindling.
(edit: and here was me telling you to grind when I've spent less than an hour on it on my 70hour play through ;) )

SirJames definitely has a point doing it first. I was getting my ass kicked around a bit though on my first playthrough, for doing it a bit early myself, but I imagine it will be quite a bit easier doing it with prior experience… You should find it pretty straightforward at your level now…

P.S IF you don't have the light spell get it before you go down…
Edit: Eh, scratch that. The light spell is given in the DLC area it seems (The wiki gives a location that I am fairly certain lies in the DLC). You could do the tougher (I imagine) DLC area first or you could tough it out like the rest of us grunts (you will acquire what you need in the catacombs). ;) The light will be useful after the Catacombs so you could do the Catacombs, then DLC then come down again... I love how open ended is this game :)

Last edited:
I don't get how you could play it through in 70 hours on your first playthrough... that is really fast!

It is ?!

You mean even taking into account that I missed the DLC and The Painted world ?
How much is average playing time then for someone who did a minimum of farming/grinding ?

It does seem I missed quite a bit, but I may not have been my usual completist self as it felt like a replay very soon with a different char…

Anyways here is my guy and last save for anyone curious :)

Attachments

• DATA 2013-11-28 21-12-58-56.jpg
    DATA 2013-11-28 21-12-58-56.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DATA 2013-11-28 21-11-35-72.jpg
    DATA 2013-11-28 21-11-35-72.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Sadly I have to give up on Dark Souls and I'm still in the starting area. I just can't adjust to the camera controls on the 360 controller. I've tried and tried but it only gets me frustrated and I end up panning all over the place walking into walls while a skeleton pummels me with arrows. I wish there was a way to have Gothic type 3rd person controls but I'm sure that will never happen.

Sadly I have to give up on Dark Souls and I'm still in the starting area. I just can't adjust to the camera controls on the 360 controller. I've tried and tried but it only gets me frustrated and I end up panning all over the place walking into walls while a skeleton pummels me with arrows. I wish there was a way to have Gothic type 3rd person controls but I'm sure that will never happen.

Why not play with mouse and keyboard using the mousefix? It plays like any other 3rd person game.

Because... I didn't know it existed. Damn. I'll have to reinstall to try it. Game looked great though!

There are threads with the mousefix and dsfix links already on the 'Watch (especially in the major impressions thread) but just in case people want everything on one page, here's the story page we had:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/09/dark-souls-mods/

Just thought I'd also report that Dscfix (for those experiencing connectivity issues with friends) works a treat as well.

Funny you mention Gothic for 'better' controls lol :p

Gothic was a game I shelved because I thought the controls were terrible. Came back to it maybe 2 years later and discovered the great game it was. And by the time I was done with Gothic, I actually liked the controls. Perhaps it was a videogame version of Stockholm Syndrome.

I treaded down a similar path as Gothic when attempting Dark Souls on the PC. Just hated the controls with the Xbox 360 controller. Learned about DSFix and installed it but still found the mouse/keyboard controls 'spaztic' and shelved it for over a year. During 2012 and 2013 I must have given Dark Souls another 2 or 3 tries but between the controls and not even coming close to beating the very first boss I rage quit a few times. And if you knew me, rage quitting is not something I do often. In fact Dark Souls may have been the first time I've experience such frustration since trying to master the 1982 Arcade game Tutankham. Ahhh Tutankham how I hate thee. And love thee.

What changed it all for me with Dark Souls however was the simple act of changing the Y axis of the Xbox 360 controller to inverted. Somehow, this makes it all click for my brain and I was able to stop focusing on the controls and start focusing on the game. Perhaps you should give that a try. I also *think* there may be options in the ini file provided by DSFix to slow down the sensitivity of the camera control stick - though not 100% sure on that.

If you think you could enjoy a game like Dark Souls but just can't get over the controls, I suggest you look into some of the options that may be available to you to tweak things before giving up. Because Dark Souls is a wonderful game, just like Gothic was, though in a different vein.

I finished Dark Souls, including the expansion area. Then I started a New Game+ and played my way through to the Demon Ruins before getting bored. Then I dug out and wiped off the dust of my PS3 Demon's Souls and have been happily playing it pretty much all this past December. I imagine I'm about 1/3 way through it at this point and absolutely loving every minute of it.

Still, if you just can't get past the controls, I'd suggest trying out the pre-cursor games to Dark Souls/Demon's Souls from FROM Software, the King's Field series. Those games contain very satisfying exploration and discovery without the difficulty of Demon's Souls/Dark Souls (though enemies in those games aren't pushovers either). King's Field IV The Ancient City for the PS2 still has decent enough graphics but the earlier games though dated, are very fun.

There are also two other offerings from FROM Software in the same vein as the King's Field series that both have that very satisfying element of exploration and discovery. They are Evergrace and the even better Eternal Ring. Like King's Field IV The Ancient City, these two offerings are also on the older and dated PS2 system, but still fun games to play.

Good luck.

Last edited:
P.S IF you don't have the light spell get it before you go down…
Edit: Eh, scratch that. The light spell is given in the DLC area it seems

The Tomb of Giants is the area after Catacombs which is almost completely dark. If you're not prepared this area can be beyond intimidating, but if you have a light source then it's quite manageable. There are three options for light:

1. The light spell
The spell Jon mentions is actually sold by Dusk of Oolacile before the DLC area who can be summoned from a whitesign where you kill the Hydra in Darkroot Basin. All her spells are utility sorceries and she also sells the best Catalyst for a non-magicuser which caps out at 180 Majadj with just 12int.
To get her sign to appear is a little tricky as you have to exit the game or reload the area after you kill the Hydra then run right down to the back of the lake and free her from inside a golem. You'll also find her armor laying about there too. Her Crown gives you bonus magic damage at the cost of lowering your magic resist. This is also the same place you enter the DLC area if you have found the old pendant on the first golem in Dukes Archives.

2. Sunlight Maggot hat
If you've run ahead to Lost Izalith and the Demon Ruins you might have found one of the sunlight maggots that Solaire is apparently quite fond of. Wearing one of these will make you incandescent enough to see things clearly.

3. Skull Lantern
The Skull Lantern is equipped like a shield in your offhand and makes light when you hold it up as if to block. They can drop from the necromancers in the catacombs, but there is always one laying in a pit in the Tomb of Giants. Trusty Patches will be waiting above it and he'll ask if you're a cleric. Say "no" and he'll still kick you over the edge. When you come back up talk to him again for a free humanity then move on. Do not kill him and he'll appear in firelink selling some nice items, including the Cleric armor set. Also, don't forget to talk to Reah of Thorolund who is down there near the lantern too. She'll then appear in the Undead Chapel and sell Cleric magic for a while before heading off to Dukes Archives to turn hollow…

Also, my tip for your guy, Jon, would be to get your faith to 30 so you can cast Sunlight Blade… Finding the spell is another matter, though. :)

I am 40 hours in on my second play through: a sort of soldier-Sorceress. I have found all the light sources. I had found the maggot too on the first play through but I forgot about it (I believe I traded it for a certain ring too) I also did the tombs before Izalith so I did not have it there anyway.

I don't know If/when I 'll do new game+ on this guy. If I do I'll raise faith to 40 (I'll turn him more paladiney/cleric and use more miracles for some variety) and see what I can do with Gwyn's soul (No spoilers please :) although I know that you can at least get some high level spell out of it)… I am coming to see things your way a bit though and am leaning towards new builds instead of NG+...

Last edited:
Well now that I am done once again with DS I can actually post. It might help with the withdrawal syndrome… ;)

Funny you mention Gothic for 'better' controls lol :p

I honestly found both the controls and GUI intuitive back then… I won't argue for it though and I understand people seeing things quite a bit differently ;) It is possible I am a bit weird in the end :D (and that is probably an understatement)

Also, my tip for your guy, Jon, would be to get your faith to 30 so you can cast Sunlight Blade… Finding the spell is another matter, though. :)

Found it in the end. Another place I should have come back in play through #1 :S

I was pretty thorough in this one. Found a lot of things I missed. And I am sure missed a whole lot yet which is only a good thing. A couple of thoughts:

1) This game is actually better than I took it for in my first run, and I was already gushing there. Best action RPG I've played since Gothic2+NOTR for me. Sparse? sure. this is a haiku in 3D it does not need any more padding…

2) And now I contradict myself: I want more dammit! This was way too short to sate me (53 hours! :S see attached for the skeptics ;) ) I can't believe it but I am actually prepared to beg for DLC here. Oolacile was excellent (although it totally unbalanced and trivialized the endgame but no skin off my nose there) I could do with more. I was inconsolable when I realized that I had to go and finish the game when I hit the 50 hour mark :-/

Yeah yeah, I know that #2 is around the corner but #1 is way too good and I would soo much appreciate something to spice up my (at least a couple ) future replays :(

Attachments

• char.jpg
    char.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 52
  • save.jpg
    save.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 50
Yeah yeah, I know that #2 is around the corner but #1 is way too good and I would soo much appreciate something to spice up my (at least a couple ) future replays :(

If you have a PS3 you could play Demon's Souls right now. It plays a bit rougher than Dark Souls and the boss fights seem easier (although hypocritically I have to admit that I say this at a moment when I'm unable to beat a boss - Maneater if you're curious which boss) than Dark Souls but the game is every bit as fun as Dark Souls. In fact, some of the world areas are better than Dark Souls - I really enjoyed the atmosphere of world 2-1 (prison level - Tower of Latria or something like that).

Never owned a console I'm afraid…

Isn't Demon Souls a bit linear and not as intricately designed though? (only hearsay of course, but I am curious)

The open ended nature (and impressively complex and vertical world building) of Dark Souls is a very large part of the appeal for me…

Isn't Demon Souls a bit linear and not as intricately designed though? (only hearsay of course, but I am curious)

Yes and no.

Demon's Souls is hub-centric compared to (arguably) Dark Souls.

In Demon's Souls all the world-spaces are available from a place called 'The Nexus.' From what I know (haven't finished the whole game yet) there are 5 world spaces that can be accessed from the Nexus in any order. So in this respect the game is non-linear. HOWEVER...

Each world is set out in a series of stages where you need to beat a boss to access the next stage of that world. So in this regard the world is a bit linear.

I do prefer the way the world is laid out in Dark Souls better, but the actual vibe and feel of Demon's Souls still feels mostly like Dark Souls.

Some video stores, not all of them are dead yet, will let you rent a console maybe you could rent a PS3 and the game and give it a try if you feel like going through the hassle of renting.

As I've written else where, you can certainly see how the Nexus was transmogrified from a design point into the Firelink Shrine concept. Both locations serve a similar central linkage to the various parts of their worlds, with Dark Souls obviously being the more open.

I had a reasonable amount of trouble with Maneater as well; possibly one of my hardest boss fights from Demons Souls. It made me remember my problems with the Bell Gargoyles in the worst possible way. :) (Lots of mistimed rolls and falling off ledges!)

In fact, some of the world areas are better than Dark Souls - I really enjoyed the atmosphere of world 2-1 (prison level - Tower of Latria or something like that).
Do you mean 3-1? 2-1 is the Stonfang Tunnels (Armour Spider).
I really enjoyed the early part of the Tower of Latria as well. It was like a darker, more sinister, claustrophobic version of the Duke's Archives in the beginning before it opens up more. 3-3 also has the Blighttown-swampy section which was utterly creepy as well to make your first descent into.

I've also recently finished my second Dark Souls play-through and thoroughly enjoyed it. My Sorcerer build proved to be genuinely satisfying to play and coupled with the previous knowledge, made progression somewhat easier. Admittedly a friend and I helped each other through some of the more difficult boss fights (Kalameet and Manus in particular) and this served to focus upon gameplay and strategic elements that I hadn't explored much before.

I even kept going for awhile into NG+ but ended up stopping just before tackling Sen's Fortress at around level 105. There's still some obscure details I'd like figure out regarding Covenants and other story tidbits, but perhaps there's life left in the game in the future for another go with a thief-dexterity heavy build before the sequel comes out. :)

A sentimental shout out moment: If you're out there DeepO, thanks for telling me about the extra Sif cut-scene around a year ago now! I finally got to see it and it was very much worth it. :thumbsup:

Incidentally, thanks for the post on the King's Field and other influential titles on the subsequent Dark Souls style of game; twas very informative to me.

Last edited:
Some video stores, not all of them are dead yet, will let you rent a console maybe you could rent a PS3 and the game and give it a try if you feel like going through the hassle of renting.

Hmm I doubt that is an option around these parts. Pity because the game does sound interesting. Then again I'd have to learn to use a controller :shudder: ;)

I've also recently finished my second Dark Souls play-through and thoroughly enjoyed it. My Sorcerer build proved to be genuinely satisfying to play and coupled with the previous knowledge, made progression somewhat easier. Admittedly a friend and I helped each other through some of the more difficult boss fights (Kalameet and Manus in particular) and this served to focus upon gameplay and strategic elements that I hadn't explored much before.
Manus was indeed the most difficult fight in this playthrough for me too. I might have died 8 times in a row until I got fed up trying to finesse it and just put on the havel set ;)
Kalameet and Artorias fell in the Satisfyingly challenging but not really dangerous fights.

Other than that I died a few times from Smough and Ormstein and, bizarrely, from the four kings. Both fights I consistently got within a couple of hits yet somehow failed them for 3-4 times in a row. For both it turned out that a minute adjustment of tactics was all that was necessary to make them comfortably doable. All other Bosses were (I kid you not) a matter of seconds if you were adequately prepared (the prior knowledge we were saying). Dark bead alone is criminal…

I even kept going for awhile into NG+ but ended up stopping just before tackling Sen's Fortress at around level 105. There's still some obscure details I'd like figure out regarding Covenants and other story tidbits, but perhaps there's life left in the game in the future for another go with a thief-dexterity heavy build before the sequel comes out. :)

I played a tiny bit of NG+ with my first char (up to Firelink shrine and a bit of rambling around). It felt totally unbalanced and uninteresting (its after all just a damage/hp/souls adjustment) definitely removed most of my doubts that new builds is the proper way to play this game…

I definitely feel there is life for a couple of replays for me. Even if the things left to discover are not that many (and I have no reason not to believe that I am still missing quite a bit). The atmosphere and gameplay alone would be worth revisiting by itself (pretty much like in my Gothic or Stalker replays). Definitely not this year though.

On one hand there is a boatload of highly anticipated stuff coming out (not to mention DS2 indeed!). On the other, at least a year or so before replays I have found, enhances the joy of replaying for me by dimming the finer details of the experience a bit.

So I'll come back to this in 2015 probably. I'd like to do a (lore unfriendly?) Fire-priestess with a focus on clubs (I sunk more that 200K souls in Pyromancy in this build but only used it like twice! and only touched on miracles on my previous). And a sort of stealthy Ranged character (Bows, perhaps a longsword to fall back to, Oolacile magic and hush + fall control and perhaps a couple of supporting miracles. I'd love to use that ridiculously oversized Bow that Gough gives you too :) )

A sentimental shout out moment: If you're out there DeepO, thanks for telling me about the extra Sif cut-scene around a year ago now! I finally got to see it and it was very much worth it. :thumbsup:
Hmm I'll have to dig for that. I suspect I should have entered Oolacile for the first time earlier than I did too…

All other Bosses were (I kid you not) a matter of seconds if you were adequately prepared (the prior knowledge we were saying). Dark bead alone is criminal…

I have to concur here on Dark Bead. Man, that spell is uber brutal with some bosses. Where Four Kings once led me to curse and spit obscenities into the Abyss, this particular spell reduces that encounter to ashes very quickly indeed. Coupled with the Crystallisation Catalyst, one or two Crystal Soul Spears and a relatively high intelligence and it's goodnight Irene to nary a boss in your path. :)

I had relatively no dramas with S&O, got 'em on the first go armed with pre-knowledge. (Lightning gear, a strong shield) I even smashed up Super Ornstein this time around with the kind sunny assistance of Solaire of course, who lived to tell the tale. :)

I definitely feel there is life for a couple of replays for me. Even if the things left to discover are not that many (and I have no reason not to believe that I am still missing quite a bit).
Did you see the Solaire and Siegmeyer stories to their conclusions? I must admit I muffed up Solaires and lost contact with him in Lost Izalith, but my friend managed to conclude it properly and used his help in the Gwyn showdown.

And a sort of stealthy Ranged character (Bows, perhaps a longsword to fall back to, Oolacile magic and hush + fall control and perhaps a couple of supporting miracles. I'd love to use that ridiculously oversized Bow that Gough gives you too :) )

I know what you mean; so many items to test out, so little time to build the characters for them. :) I've played a tank heavy cleric and now a sorcerer, so there's been plenty of items (melee oriented especially) I've had to put into the box untested for not having the stats for. This alone creates a high factor for replayability. Certainly looking forward to the sequel, though like yourself, have an abundance of stuff waiting in the backlog to get to first.

Back
Top Bottom