Valheim - Hearth & Home: Fireside Chat

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Josefin Berntsson (assistant CM at Iron Gate), Richard Svensson (founder and lead designer) and Robin Eyre (generalist artist) discuss around a cozy fire about Hearth & Home, which will be released for Valheim on September 16th.

Valheim Hearth & Home: Fireside Chat

Come closer and gather 'round the fire as we sit down and have a chat about Valheim, development and Hearth & Home. Maybe some of your most burning questions will be answered?

More information.

I still can't figure out why this game was so popular. Was it fun? Yep, quite a bit. However, it really didn't do anything that other survival games haven't done. Just dressed up the crafting with the monster-hunting bits. Those bits weren't really tough though and that's typically the allure of the slay monster genre. It's quite easy to kill the first two bosses with just basic gear and something like 70% of the player base never even killed the 2nd boss at all.

Sometimes the magic just happens and also at the right time (Corona).
Good that it cannot be written down in a fool proof formula.

I personally love the game, it just clicked with me - the music, vibrant graphics, building aspect etc :)

These guys have sold nearly 8 million copies now. Sure a lot of them were on sale for about £10, but 8 million copies when the game wasn't supermarketed by a monster like Ubi/EA etc and is still not even a full release, that is a lot of copies. They must have done something right.

I play it myself now and then with some friends, and I'm very much looking forward to this patch to give it another go.

I don't see it as something to take my main gaming dedication, but quite fun to just have a server up where you come and go as you please to have random fun with whoever is around at the time, and perhaps that is the key to its massive success.

Personally I never understand why certain games sell so well.:S

{Maye it's modern gamer's shitty tastes?}

Doesn't help when the majority of big sellers never interest me.:(

Personally I never understand why certain games sell so well.:S

{Maye it's modern gamer's shitty tastes?}

Doesn't help when the majority of big sellers never interest me.:(

Nice for those here who like the game...

Anyway, I'm not preoccupied by games that sell well or not. I don't feel pressured by hype, like for ex. when CP2077 was released. I just pick those I'm sure I'll enjoy.

I can see the interest for this game, especially in coop, there are a lot of interesting and nice-to-have features. I think indie devs need a bit of luck to be successful when they're not known yet; maybe Iron Gate had this bit of luck and got recognized, so that's all good. They seem to take good care of their fans, too.

Yeah, the game itself is fine. I just wasn't enthused with the Dev's really laid back post-millions work ethic. I think the game could have made even more if they would have kept raising the bar instead of resting on their laurels for several months before doing more than minor bug fixing.

Overall, I love the game and tolerate the developers :) Similar to my feelings towards Bethesda. I love, love, love TES and even Fallout, but the devs make me grind my teeth sometimes.

I never understood the hate against the devs. They put a lot of work into their supposed niche indie game and it was a surprise hit. I guess that was a bit overwhelming for them.
Let them enjoy their success and be thankful that they hit the right spot if you like it, if not one should not care anyway.

Yea I don't blame the devs for wanting to take a breather. It's hard work and a lot of overtime.

Nice for those here who like the game…

Anyway, I'm not preoccupied by games that sell well or not. I don't feel pressured by hype, like for ex. when CP2077 was released. I just pick those I'm sure I'll enjoy.

I can see the interest for this game, especially in coop, there are a lot of interesting and nice-to-have features. I think indie devs need a bit of luck to be successful when they're not known yet; maybe Iron Gate had this bit of luck and got recognized, so that's all good. They seem to take good care of their fans, too.
Meh I was probably to harsh with my reply.

My main criteria for games to get my intrest is the following.

1. SP campaign with a story. No making up your story for me I hate that.
  2. Besides the Steam or Epic launcher it must not require a server to play the SP.
  3. If it's built on Co-Op I might pass on it just for that as well.
  4. If it's an MMO or online dependent game instant pass for me.
Having said that kudos to those who enjoy the game.:)

Never tried it despite the overwhelming popularity on Steam. I've yet to play one of these survival-crafting games that I really like.

Back
Top Bottom