Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Knights of the Chalice

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Risen

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Torchlight

Votes: 7 7.5%

• Total voters
You mean you were dissapointed by kings bounty armored princess, because it had turn-based combat???? I have to ask what you were expecting before you bought this game in that case? Its major selling point IS the turn-based combat……

I agree with GG. One thing is not liking KB:AP because you don't like turn based combat, that's ok. But how can it be disappointing for you? if you didn't already know that the game was turn based, you didn't know anything about the game. And if you knew... how could you be disappointed if you already knew?

Thunder Lizards. I actually went through the entire game without killing one, they just looked too harmless. :)

They were:( If I replay the game I think I'll let the Thunder Lizards thrive. Maybe they'll make a ton of babies have have a few more in the next title. I really liked those guys……or better yet MOUNTS!!! Go stomping through the forest on your own Thunder Lizard……

Great, now I have the theme song to Thunder Cats in my head! ;)

I agree with GG. One thing is not liking KB:AP because you don't like turn based combat, that's ok. But how can it be disappointing for you? if you didn't already know that the game was turn based, you didn't know anything about the game. And if you knew… how could you be disappointed if you already knew?

In either case you should be more disappointed in yourself than the game!

Risen, on the other hand, was great! Ending sucked, but the rest was just fine. Each to his own, but I really can't understand those complaints about the second "half" - where "half" refers to number of chapters, not playing time!!

I thought Risen started to falter in the second chapter, not just the final two. The first chapter was the only one that had freedom and participation from all of the npcs. The second chapter started the 5 tasks scheme that was such a chore. The only thing the second chapter had going for it was you were exploring new parts of the island, but 95% of the npcs were pretty much done for the entire game by that part.

The nice part of Gothic 1 & 2 was a far greater percentage of npcs followed along with the world's events and had roles after the first chapter. Also, the finales of those games were short, not a marathon like chapter 4 of Risen.

If you loved the dungeons, then chapter 4 was probably not a drag for you. If you thought they were just mildly interesting, then chapter 4 was a nearly unbearable chore of killing lizardmen for 5 hours.

In either case you should be more disappointed in yourself than the game!

I think this post was disappointing. A little less conversation and more action please.

Risen I'm afraid. Yes, the disappointment comes from having, if not high expectations, then at least an awareness of the possibility of something very, very good. I think it was disspointing on two levels - the lack of progress since their first game, and the way they changed direction/ran out of content in the later chapters. Pretty sure I'll buy Risen 2 regardless :) I see the 360 version is only just about to come out in NA. It would be nice if it did ok, but I predict it being unnoticed behind Mass Effect 2 and the Dragon Age expansion...

No vote from me: of these games either I wasn't dissapointed, or I haven't tried it yet.

Well, I am currently installing Dragon Age and Risen, but I will probably not have time to play them until summer.

Drakensang abd Farewell to Dragons were both very disappointing.
To mee, seeing Dragon Age "winning" this poll it's a joke, by the way.

I don't just think Dragon Age is a very good game. It's even far more well crafted in comparison to my expectations.
Plus, I hated my companions in teaser trailers but… know what? Turned out they were all far better than I thought, and mostly very funny, especially when interacting one which other.

Very best Bioware game since… ages, for me.

On many points Dragon Age get out of lazy mainstream:
  • difficult enough to irritate many players too often,
  • no mass of shiny items,
  • no sea of gold and jewels,
  • no rush to the most pretty and detailed graphics possible at depends of performances,
  • many companions a bit rude with MC,
  • no random fights at every corner but plenty design time spend to design each fight,
  • complicate tactics system that bored many,
  • tactics system complex enough to let many players not understand the effects of their setup,

And you can add to that plenty details that lack of polishing, no surprised it irritates mass of players.

I'm about mid-way through the game (Dragon Age) and I have to say it will get my vote as most disappointing of 2009 as well as best of 2009. It was extremely good in the beginning which gave me false hope. Dialogues have dried up quick, story is not progressing unless you fight through whole entire dungeon full of monsters (insanely hard battles with werewolves) + boring loots for pointless reasons. At this point, I agree with most of stuff Dasale pointed out. I've completely screwed up PC and others by putting in wrong points in stats, which makes battle even worse.

Another for Dragon Age. Maybe we have such high expectations and should accept a game for what it is, when it is indeed a game that has merits. My expectation is always freedom of exploration above anything else. Dragon Age does not deliver, much like NWN series, areas are closed off sections with no tangible connection to each other. I suppose I know that's what I'm getting, and still enjoy many aspects of those games, but the non open world always disappoints. That doesn't mean I like Oblivion however. Gothic series/Risen (I haven't finished ch 2 yet and may wait for a NOTR type expansion) and now Divinity 2 are what I like for games. Maybe I'll tire of this one as well but for now I can't stop playing.

Bioware is so over-rated, it's ridiculous.

Literally thousands of fans of this corporation, (on various message boards), were calling DA "amazing", before any screenshots or gameplay details were even known. After the game was released, the mantra of "amazing" was still being chanted, while flaws like muddy textures were dismissed with phrases like - "Bioware wanted to make it with muddy textures - it was a brilliant design choice" - - I actually read that on a forum.

Bioware will continue to go downhill as long as their fan base continues to make these ridiculous excuses.

PS - Personally, I can't take politically correct "message" games - but that seems to be the direction Bioware has decided to take; more concerned with subtle propaganda than with producing a quality product.

Last edited:
DA:O was a piece of crap though. Out of that list can't really say what was more disappointing. After a while you learn not to expect much from games, specially not ones with massive hype machines behind them. All of those games were good for what they were. However, I can't see how anyone would be disappointed by KotC; that little gem turned out bright.

People arent reading the title. dragon age was the best, not the worst.

therein lies the strange dichotomy of the RPGwatch crowd - a lot of people think that it was both best and biggest disappointment

Well, most disappointed doesn't mean worst. It means most failed to meet expectations.

Considering the massively overhyped Dragon Age was to be the new Baldur's Gate, and it fell far short of that, it's totally reasonable that it was the most disappointing.

Lesson learned: ignore the hype if you don't want to be disappointed, and wait for a review from someone you can trust.

Back
Top Bottom