What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Ah yes, Logan's Run. Have it on DVD. Loved Box. Loved pretty much everything :).

... funny. I happen to love movies starring Michael York, and it seems I found out about this in retrospective only ...

I watched the movies at theaters, but I never touched the box. Same with the LotR box.

I like the special Director's cuts in the Quadrilogy Box Set more that their theatrical releases though (especially for #3). Same with the Extended editions of LOTR (well at least for FOTR)...

Speaking of Special Editions:

I prefer the Aliens SE - but I do think that the initial colony sequence should have been scrapped like in the theatrical version. It doesn't look too good, the acting sucks, and it ruins the mystery - and it messes with the surprise of Burke being such a slimey asshole.

Hmm, good point. The film probably works best without that one, although I guess it never bothered me (or the fact that the sequence is a bit rough around the edges, true) having seen the theatrical release at least a couple of times before buying Quadrilogy.

I guess I even liked it in a "fill in the blanks" kinda way for my subsequent viewings...

Having watched "Gnomeo & Juliet" the evening during new years turn, I can say that this is a nice movie. :)
Recommended. :)

For those who watched The Dragon Tattooed girl Hollywood version- hit or miss ?

I was dragged to see this by the in-laws a couple of days ago. First walk-in movie I've watched in a couple years. I definitely liked it, but the sadism scenes were VERY cringe worthy (in a disturbing way). Not for the faint of heart. A couple of the characters are classic sadists per the other P&R thread.

I was dragged to see this by the in-laws a couple of days ago. First walk-in movie I've watched in a couple years. I definitely liked it, but the sadism scenes were VERY cringe worthy (in a disturbing way). Not for the faint of heart. A couple of the characters are classic sadists per the other P&R thread.

Had you read the books and/or seen the Swedish films? Our whole family has read the books, but the first chance for all of us to get to the theater since release is this Friday ...

I haven't read the books, so I went in with the only explanation that the story features intrigue, which it did well. Although, the outdoor scenes changed seasons inexplicably.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

I'll just link to a description because I'm too lazy to write a synopsis right now. :)

Suffice to say, it was.. "ok". I was expecting something a little darker and more serious than what it was, but it was entertaining enough for a one-time viewing.

Had you read the books and/or seen the Swedish films?
I've seen the 3 Swedish films and thought they were quite well done. Haven't seen the Hollywood version yet as the release date is the 19th over here. I do expect it to be different and using a faster pace with Daniel Craig in the lead, but I might be wrong. Somehow I think Liam Neeson would have been more fitting in that role, but I might be biased by the Swedish version.

I've seen the 3 Swedish films and thought they were quite well done. Haven't seen the Hollywood version yet as the release date is the 19th over here. I do expect it to be different and using a faster pace with Daniel Craig in the lead, but I might be wrong. Somehow I think Liam Neeson would have been more fitting in that role, but I might be biased by the Swedish version.

I didn't find Michael Nyquist all that believable as the womanizer from the book, thinking Craig (or Neeson) would be better.

I really liked the first Swedish film, but as the series wore on I didn't like many of the choices of what to cut vs. include, and thought the last one was kind of a mess because of it ...

I haven't read the books, so I can't compare that and the first one was indeed the best of the three.

Saw We Bought A Zoo over the Christmas weekend. Like many Cameron Crowe films it was sappy and had me weepy a couple of times. It is not really a family movie in that young children will probably find it boring. I went in thinking it would be mainly about the animals in the zoo and it was not. I don't know how my 10 year old endured it.

For the adults it's not bad and is really about a single father's bereavement.

I haven't read the books, so I can't compare that and the first one was indeed the best of the three.

We saw Dragon Tatoo tonight - very faithful to the book and better in pretty much every way than the (excellent) Swedish version.

Last movie I saw was "Cowboys & Aliens" with Harrison Ford. I went in with very low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised, it was actually a cool movie. Nothing mind-blowing, but overall a good flick and worth watching.

Yes, it was quite entertaining. Decent entertainment for an evening.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

I'll just link to a description because I'm too lazy to write a synopsis right now. :)

Suffice to say, it was.. "ok". I was expecting something a little darker and more serious than what it was, but it was entertaining enough for a one-time viewing.

I remember the original movie (1973), it was one of those films that scared me shitless as a kid. I could barely sleep for like a year after watching it, those whispering little demon things freaked me out so badly. The only other film that scarred me as thoroughly was Salems Lot.

Made even worse by the fact that we had a huge old furnace w/ a big hatch on the front in the basement!

watching it now tho, it's pretty hilarious.. ='.'=

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom