What games are you playing now?

Some of you mentioned considering a Witcher 3 replay - so I'll give a little heads up about the Fast Travel mod I was using. Do NOT use it :) It breaks a few quests by letting you miss the triggers. You can still use it, but you have to be careful not to travel out of buildings and areas when doing quests.

Anyway, now that W3 is done - I'm wondering what to play.

I had some fun with my coop group in ESO yesterday. There's a new DLC coming out that focuses on Werewolves. I never tried being a Werewolf in ESO - so I'm doing that now. I find it's very well done, actually - and the animations are pretty solid.

ESO really is the most accomplished modern MMO on the market, warts and all.

Also, the following DLC will apparently focus on my favorite area in Tamriel: Black Marsh.

Playing some Way of the Samurai 4 for the PC. Originally released on the PS3, you're able to use DSR downscaling so you can play in 4K which is nice. It feels like a Yakuza game but in the era of Shoguns.

Tell me it works fine with k+m and I'm buying. And 60 FPS ofc, not interested in resolutions for cinema, projectors and videowalls.

Tell me it works fine with k+m and I'm buying. And 60 FPS ofc, not interested in resolutions for cinema, projectors and videowalls.

Locked at 30 FPS with no known hack to increase to 60 since game physics and engine are tied to that framerate limitation. You really need to deprogram yourself about not settling for anything less than 60 FPS. However, I'm not unsympathetic to your syndrome. I was a 60+ FPS-only inmate-patient once and wouldn't lower my standards for any reason but hard-fought against my mental illness and recovered. 30 FPS is not that bad.

If you're on a 4k TV, the bigger the resolution, the better. It looks nice on my 43" TV, though I've been playing PS3 games in native resolution a fair amount lately and can settle for 720p jaggies as long as the gameplay gets me giddy.

Sorry but no lowering standards, the reason I'm gaming on PC is frames per second. And hairworks and stuff, but that's irrelevant here.
I don't play games on 10x10m videowalls at the opposite side of the street, I'm using a monitor that has screen refresh higher than just 30 (it's 144Hz) in front of me. I'm gonna skip the slideshow.

Your loss, chief. I forgot to mention that it may or may not have mouse + KB support but I played with a Xbox One controller which it supports natively. It's madness to play this type of game with mouse and KB, imo.

Speaking of controllers/gamepads, right now I'm playing Grim Dawn with the Ashes of Malmouth expansion and I'm using a controller (GD has native gamepad support now, well, at least partially… read on). Plays fine that way and is far more preferable than mouse/KB for couch potato gaming. However, I just wanted to say that the Xbox One controller is one ugly, clunky piece of peripheral compared to my preferred setup of a DS4 controller with DS4Windows (360/Xbox One controller emulation software) on Windows 10. You get gyro, a more ergonomic design (for me, at least) and 5 extra buttons to program over the Xbox One controller. It's the way to go if you choose a gamepad for PC gaming.

Not loving this game. Guess I should give it a bit more time but so far it seems kind of like rng boredom.

Just started Star Traders Frontier; no clue what I am doing nor what class to play but I managed to reach a stable orbital trajectory over Balkinour so maybe it will turn out ok ?

Last edited:
I played one of the Way of the Samurais I think, I remember the start was that I was almost dead after a battle. Didn't care for the game, don't remember why but I think it was too open-ended for me.

More fun MAME action from the MGL. Maybe it'll trigger some happy memories; here's what we've played so far:

The Speed Rumbler (Crazy top down micro-machines meets mad-max meets early GTA zaniness. Comically violent.)
Mario Brothers (I was always pretty lousy at this but it was fun to improve and break 100 k.)
Crazy Kong (A couple of guys killscreened this; I barely made it to 50, 000! Not a huge DK genre fan.)
Jumping Jack (Loved this game. It was my first time being introduced to such a cunning little platformer. )
Future Spy (Crazy hard overhead shooter in the vein of Zaxxon made by Sega)

Still going:
Mr Do's Castle (Another fun hard as nails title by Universal. )
Spatter(Insufferably cute strategic maze collect 'em up with sling shotting off fences to knock off other racers whilst being on your trike being the main course of the game...)
Polaris (An ancient relic from 1980; a primitive submarine shooter which is proving to be a fun claustrophobic challenge the more I play it.)

I've finally moved away from the 7 Days to Die mod called War of the Walker to a new quasi-open world, crafting, collection, and survival game called Animallica. This was originally a mod for Skyrim that added many more animals to the game. Elephants, tigers, hippos, etc. The modder decided to create his own game after having success with his mod. It's in early access and this dude seems to roll out updates about once a month and each one adds more content.

Animallica is mostly a game about collecting animals, healing them of a plague that is slowing killing them off and then creating places for them to live. Most of humanity was killed by this plague and you've been on a sea base waiting for it to be safe enough to start saving animals from extinction. You'll collect resources to build shelters for yourself and the animals. So we're talking major crafting and building focii. Combat is pretty simple. You will fight mutated humans and creatures and destroy the plague-nests that spawn these. It's fairly basic at this point. The fun comes in collecting loot to build structures and in finding animals. You need to cure them and tame them before letting them loose at your base. You can also free them back into the wild once you've cleared all of the plague nests in an area.

Restarted NWN2 and DAI with determination to finish both before moving on ( should keep me busy into the new year!) DAI just corrupted my saves back the beginning of the Hinterlands costing me about 6 hours. Not happy, and googling shows this is a common problem without solid resolution... I'll try again with multiple slots but that doesn't always help apparently.

Hero-U. I'm about a week into it in-game time. I don't really know what's going on - I'm just attending classes, and then wandering around to do some training or talk to the other characters. I've done a bit of sneaking around the castle in the evening after dark, but I'm not finding much plot-wise. I also need to improve my combat skills, as clearing the Drats from the cellar is proving difficult. I guess something is going to happen that will shake things up and add a sense of urgency maybe, but at the minute I'm just wandering around and interacting with things.

It's nice playing a game that isn't grim and dark, although the barrage of puns can sometimes sometimes feel a bit over the top… having said that, the game's sheer dedication to punnery is also somewhat charming. The other characters are interesting enough and I'm enjoying the interactions. There's also a good sense of freedom when it comes to exploration and I have a feeling I'm missing things, which makes it interesting. There are fewer puzzles so far than I expected (pretty much none, although that's possibly because I've missed them…)

It's certainly nice change of pace from the kind of RPG I normally spend time with and I'm looking forward to seeing what unfolds in the plot.

Last edited:
Galactic Civilizations III

I've dabbled in this here and there - and it seems to me it's much better with the Crusade expansion.

In fact, last time I checked it out - I sort of convinced myself that it's the best 4X space game since MoO2 these days.

Was I right?

I've dabbled in this here and there - and it seems to me it's much better with the Crusade expansion.

In fact, last time I checked it out - I sort of convinced myself that it's the best 4X space game since MoO2 these days.

Was I right?

I've never been a big 4x fan, tried several games in the genre and the only game which i for some reason began to really love and get involved in was Gal. Civ 2. This seems even better than that (i've just started out). I have the DLC's apart from Intrigue, which i "must" get too. This is a quite an expensive game with all the DLC's i have to say, though i will hopefully get many hours of fun with it :)

I've never been a big 4x fan, tried several games in the genre and the only game which i for some reason began to really love and get involved in was Gal. Civ 2. This seems even better than that (i've just started out). I have the DLC's apart from Intrigue, which i "must" get too. This is a quite an expensive game with all the DLC's i have to say, though i will hopefully get many fun hours from it.

Yes, I'm not a fan of Stardock and DLCs - and I'm especially not a fan of Wardell - but if the game is good..... :)

I have all the DLCs - and Intigue isn't essential as such. I just don't want to play games that aren't complete.

I've been playing >observer_

It's interesting to say the least, though I have mixed feelings about it overall. The visuals and art direction are outstanding, and the plot is compelling enough, but there isn't much there in terms of gameplay. The closest comparison I can think of would be SOMA.

I'll post a more thorough impression after I've finished it which should be in the next day or so.

I've been playing >observer_

It's interesting to say the least, though I have mixed feelings about it overall. The visuals and art direction are outstanding, and the plot is compelling enough, but there isn't much there in terms of gameplay. The closest comparison I can think of would be SOMA.

I'll post a more thorough impression after I've finished it which should be in the next day or so.

SOMA was fantastic.

Let me know how it ultimately compares to that one after you're done!

Back
Top Bottom