Like football/soccer?

Everyone here is looking forward to the World Championship in Brazil ! :)

Man, you must hate me so much, I always seem to be disagreeing with you LOL.

Oh well, let's hope it doesn't unnecessarily polarize some random topic of importance.

I hadn't a clue what the add was getting at, found it overly long and tedious, and it bore no relation to my understanding of football.

:lol:

Brilliant. If you don't like this commercial, you don't like football. Or you're American. Which pretty often is the same thing... ;)

I feel weird about the commercial. I'm from South America, I like soccer only during the World Cup every 4 years. I did recognize a couple of players in the video, but... I didn't get it? I stopped it like 2/3rds of the way as I didn't like the music so maybe the point was made at the end.

What's good about it?

It sells stars instead selling the game of football.

Selling the product is hard and unreliable, especially when the product is not supposed to be fixed (as a match outcome is not supposed to fix in advance)

If you watch the two semi final of the Champion's league, which are held to be an apex in the game, you see what it means.

-Both semi finals cost each around or more than 500 millions euros (the totalized clubs budget)

-the match, in terms of the game of football, was poor. It was a minimalistic way of playing (parking the bus, counter-act etc...)

-In both cases, the outcome was unsuspenseful, the matches were wrapped up fast.

In case of a product like football, even when a tremendous amount of money is invested (one billion euros in this case), the quality might not be there.
So it is unreliable.

Staging stars, painting themselves with the colours you want is fully in the hands of the marketing service.

This is a trend that came from the US, that found out that it is much easier to sell characters than the actual product. Not limited to football, it goes to many more sectors. Singers for example sell themselves before they sell their music. Music quality is much less important than the quality of stars.

In this ad, things related to the game of football are fake. Players handle no footie, dribbles are achieved through CGIs.
But they are stars in it, one even sells his relationship with his girl friend.

To even further the illusion, it can be noticed that black people are over represented in this ad.

As such, the firm hired no black players because white players sell shirts, they are the ones with greater star power.

Regarding the game of football, there are good black players. But they are not star material.

In the cheering crowd (even the lead actor is a black kid), over representation of black people who do not buy that many shirts.

Players are supposed to be here for their quality as players but they are first and all for their quality as stars.

That is how this ad is so good: it is a pure illusion, it has no substance, it is appearance.

And appearance might be staged with reliability. Actually, when you do not trust reality to provide the proper outcome, staging is one better solution.

This ad is - in my opinion - very much based on emotions. Men's emotions. There is a saying here in Germany : There are only very few things that can make a true man weep or cry - football / soccer is among them (having lost a match, for example, or the ball NOT hitting the goal).

To me, this advertisement is exclusively pointing out the men's side of it. I didn't see any women appearing there - but I must admit that I did an "fast forward" there (I just didn't want to ewatch it through all of the 4 minutes - my interest in soccer / football just isn't high enough).

Plus, another point is that this advertisement points out the manly aspect of soccer - everything that is considered "manly" is shown there : Competition, winning, yes, even the Hulk is a sign for raw manly power, so to say.

The whole ad was directed at men - and most likely done by men.

I'd really, really, really see how they'd do an advertisement for the women's soccer/football world championship ! I saw one of this matches - the whole athmosphere was totally unlike a man's soccer match !!!
It was almost an family-friendly party ... actually VERY relaxed, VERY silent, ompared to what's going on during men's soccere matches ... But it also had a very much smaller amount of spectators.

Since you asked :)

Women play football ?!? ;)

PS: Belgium is going to own in Brazil (not that I am that invested)

Back
Top Bottom