175.5 KB · Views: 29
  • LeatherChain.jpg
    LeatherChain.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 28
The real question is

a) Leather
b) Chain
c) Leather & Chain ;) ?

I'll take C.:) It looks real compared to first two and at least provides better protection.

but you're ok that those same characters can double jump in mid-air and cast fireballs when they land, in full plate?

That depends on a lot of things. In general I do slightly prefer games where the characters don't bounce around like they came out of a JRPG. If there is some reason for them to be that mobile that does not impinge on the willing suspension of disbelief then why not. Of course if the game is going for that almost super-hero type movement in combat - which would make particular sense in some ARPGs - then what you describe might be perfectly at home.

my point is, why make for boring looking armor just because they're more 'realistic' in a fantasy game. If it was a medieval simulation game, I'd be all for it, but in a fantasy game, I'm ok with boob armors and chainmail bikinis that protect more than a full body leather armor.

I don't think the absence of boob-plates necessitates boring armor; it may perhaps make interesting armor designs require more effort and thought on the part of the art team. Of course, whether or not a piece of armor being interesting is something determined by the presence or absence of boob-plates is a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer the exaggerated WoW and JRPG elements including plate-bikinis and gigantically over-sized weapons.

I prefer a slightly more believable touch in regard to the non-fantastical elements of a game - if that is appropriate to the mood and setting at least.. Unless some element of the fantasy world justifies it, I find it silly and distracting when armor design makes little logical sense, when a character's hammer is bigger than they are, and when said character jumps in said armor with said hammer 50 meters into the air to make an attack. If that is appropriate to the tone of the game then that is not a problem; it wouldn't make too much sense to argue that an element of a mostly silly game was itself slightly too silly. Based on the descriptions of their intent for Project Eternity - that it address mature themes in a serious way - I feel that it may be incongruous to have one or two exceedingly silly things like boob-plates among the non-fantastical elements of the game-world.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom