The Witcher - Interview @ GamingHeaven

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CD Projekt's Michal Madej has been interviewed at GamingHeaven about The Witcher. It's a general introductory article but it does have some interesting snippets. Here's a bit on consequences and flashbacks:
GH: How much freedom will the gamer have in relationship to the story development? Is it totally linear, or are there areas where the gamer can do some side quests?>
Michal: “The Witcher”, as every self-respecting RPG, provides the player with a great deal of freedom when it comes to decision making. In this case, we put emphasis on shaping the plot through gamer choices. The game has three completely different endings, depending on decisions made by the player throughout the whole adventure, from beginning to end. While it seems that this is already a certain expected standard, established by games like BioWare’s, “The Witcher” is different in this respect when it comes to the nature of the actual choices. Firstly, all the decisions the player will face are mature and ethically difficult, forcing the gamer to make the choice between two evils. Secondly, the effects of these choices will not be immediately apparent, as they are time delayed, preventing the player to revert to the “save/load” technique to determine, which decision is more advantageous. Thirdly, when the effects of his actions will become clear, the player will be reminded of his choices which led to this outcome through flashback or feedback cut scenes. Naturally, there will also be a multitude of side quests awaiting completion, most of which will be commissions for the slaying of monsters.
More information.

This would explain our decision to channel all our efforts to a thorough PC production, in place of splitting our resources to the creation of mediocre titles for a number of platforms.
:iloveyou:

Whilst creating the game, we focused on the plot, characters, and combat, and while these elements do require realistic graphics, effects, and animations, they were not an end in their own right.
:iloveyou: even more.

I can only hope that this interview wasnt ( only ) PR mumblings of Madej.

They seem to hint about a rewarding ending that will satisfy everyone. I'm intrigued...

...forcing the gamer to make the choice between two evils.
While it's always nice to see a game attempt to move beyond the rather simplistic biowareian good/evil dichotomy, I'm not sure I like the implication here (or maybe I'm just reading too much into this quote). One of the problems I had with Gothic 3 was that none of the factions were particularly sympathetic. Each was only interested in wiping out its rivals. It's all fine and good to have a system of ethics which doesn't make a clear distinction between good and evil, but if all that remains for the player is to choose one out of a bunch of equally reprehensible miscreants, then the choice becomes rather hollow. While it's not unrealistic for all the major factions in a fantasy world (or a real one) to be ruthless and self-serving, there should at least be some clear moral differences if such ethical choices are to resonate with the player.

The flashback idea sounds interesting, it could be a usefuls storytelling device.

I agree,

I may be wrong but i read somewhere the delayed consequences could relate with women, supposedly Geralt finds he isn't quite the same as other witchers......he has feelings! - maybe he has to kill the one he feels close to....intrigue indeed.
So by making irretrievable situations triggered early in the game and only realise toward the ending....suggests a good replay factor?

Thats what i like best ...a good involving story.

I agree,

I may be wrong but i read somewhere the delayed consequences could relate with women ...

In danger of Spoiling anyone: in a vid some months back when they demoed
choises and consequences they presented an example where making a choise
in the early part of the game would result in either a female friend or a fellow
witcher being killed later in the game removing either a romantic story part
or some valuable combat aid in the endgame...

This game has excellent potential... Fingers crossed

Thoose screenshots looks absolutely stunning!

While it's always nice to see a game attempt to move beyond the rather simplistic biowareian good/evil dichotomy, I'm not sure I like the implication here (or maybe I'm just reading too much into this quote). One of the problems I had with Gothic 3 was that none of the factions were particularly sympathetic. Each was only interested in wiping out its rivals. It's all fine and good to have a system of ethics which doesn't make a clear distinction between good and evil, but if all that remains for the player is to choose one out of a bunch of equally reprehensible miscreants, then the choice becomes rather hollow. While it's not unrealistic for all the major factions in a fantasy world (or a real one) to be ruthless and self-serving, there should at least be some clear moral differences if such ethical choices are to resonate with the player.

To check what moral ambiguity they are talking about try this short story from Sapkowski. Its one of the stories from "Last Wish" that is coming to english bookstores.

http://www.thewitcher.com/files/Lesser_Evil_story.zip

There is a interview on gamespot

MM: As for the gameworld, after some discussion, we came to the conclusion that an entirely free world, as seen in games like Oblivion, wouldn't exactly suit our plans for the game. Hence our decision to somewhat limit the player's freedom, naturally in exchange for huge, original, and intriguing locations full of interesting non-player characters.

Moreover, if you look at some of the games known for their entirely free worlds, you'll find that the dynamic and smooth advancement of the plotline is sometimes difficult. That's why we've focused on creating a world with some limitations to freedom, but with huge locations, where the player will always discover something new to do or see.

Seem like they learned a lesson in someone else expense :) I like this game's scale and proportion. Hope this game turnout to be a spirtual Gothic successor.

Back
Top Bottom