Shroud of the Avatar - RPG Codex Review

Not to mention his reputation which was on the line… I think it is the saddest aspect of this entire mess.

Pretty sure his reputation among all but devoted fanboys was more or less shot after he went to space.

Honestly, I should have known better than to back this. After all, when was the last time Richard Garriot actually had a hand in making something good? Wikipedia has him listed as Executive Producer for City of Heroes (which I really liked), but I don't recall hearing anything about him on the official CoH forums unless it was related to Tabula Rasa. Never was a fan of Lineage 1 or 2 (again, Wikipedia lists him as exectuive producer). So, Ultima Online in 1997-1998?

I let my past dictate my decision on when I pledged to this project, honestly, other than Ultima Online, I'm ignorant of his other games. I'm sure many others felt betrayed as well, and that's something that I doubt he'll ever get away with again. This one is going to cling to him like an unwashed dirty diaper.

I should have been clearer on my aversion to dance parties....the poster mentioned that he thought to really get the most enjoyment out of the game, you had to get more involved in comunity events....unfortunately, most of those are these weird dance parties where people dance in spot and say nothing(I hear they might be talking in another program) scantily clad. On top of this Dark Starr(a dev) goes around kissing the girls....which is a bit weird in itself. I was at one where they lined up for him to do this.

This was their launch event btw.

No issue if he enjoys it....I think it's weird myself and don't find enjoyment in it.

Just how many of those girls are girls I idly wonder...

Just how many of those girls are girls I idly wonder…
What you don't like when a female avatar shows interest you.:lol:
RPXPMJ_9_Females.jpg

I honestly thought that was a pic of the current lord british
His name is Carl Brutananadilewski from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Used to watch this show a few years back.:biggrin:

I honestly thought that was a pic of the current lord british

Uncanny resemblance to RG.

He's missing the renaissance clothes and $65 million house.

--

OK, how hard would it have been to make a fun game first allowing expansion as needed? Bioware learned this lesson between NWN amd KotOR. By making their areas 8x8 tiles (24metres^2) by default they encouraged huge empty spaces. This gives the illusion of detail in 2d game like Ultima or Zelda but comes across as lazy in 3d. In KotOR apartments were the smallest of rooms and whole planets were a handful of areas. This works much better for the player.

The player is far more interested in something to do than looking at your pretty pictures and the time you spent putting the right light on a vase of flowers.

The performance issue is mind-blowing, and kind of sad.
Well once again I can say blame the Unity Engine. It's a know bug on certain versions that your game will have memory leaks, long load times , and be un-optimized.

It was talked about on this forum before.

Well once again I can say blame the Unity Engine. It's a know bug on certain versions that your game will have memory leaks, long load times , and be un-optimized.

It was talked about on this forum before.

They should have licensed the Ultima 9 engine. You could walk under bridges in that.

You know, the Codex really is hell's antechamber. But some comments on that review are quite interesting.

Rumour at The Codex is that SotA is your favorite game.

Dance party shit in SOTA is stupid because it doesn’t have enough variety, genres of dance and completely lacks partner dancing. Also, the music is super banal.

Back
Top Bottom