8th Generation Intel Processor with Stock Fan?

henriquejr

Fluminense Football Club
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hi everyone!

I started the process of mounting a new PC, and I've already bought some PC parts (videocard, RAM and M2 SSD). I'd like to know if there is any 8th Generation Intel processor that comes with a boxed, stock fan? I don't wanna do overclocking, I intend to run the processor at stock speed, and I'm focusing on i5 / i7 family.

Thank you!

Even if you're not overclocking stock still isn't good enough for long gaming sessions with high CPU use. If you're building a new PC you might as well build a good one.

Overclocking is super simple these days and your CPU speed will changing constantly, anyway. You just set the high end speed.

If it gets too hot with stock it will automatically UNDERclock itself and then you might think it's just too slow and needs an upgrade when it's simply having heat issues.

Even writing this my cpu clock multiplier goes between 16, 28 and 45 times(100). Same as my gpu which goes down to about 139MHz and up around 1900MHz when under load. (You can even set individual speeds for each core. If your game is heavy on the first core, as many are, set that one to run faster.)

I've had my unlocked cpu overclocked for years and got a metric fucktonne of value from it and the Noctua air cooler. Don't worry about wearing it out. They're made for overclocking.

All Intel processors come with a stock fan/heatsink. At least I've never seen one that didn't.

I know from skylake that unlocked processors do not come with stock fan/ heatsink (and I guess thats true for any newer generation which Couch also suggests). And while I am not 100% sure I think AMD threadripper CPUs come without stock fans as well.

But as SirJames already mentioned, you normally should buy a decent cooler/fan anyways.

If you really don't want to, you should also make sure you do not buy any CPUs which are unlocked anyways (a K in the name) as it's money you pay for wasted potential.

If you really don't want to, you should also make sure you do not buy any CPUs which are unlocked anyways (a K in the name) as it's money you pay for wasted potential.

That's not true. The K versions often have a higher stock speed. For example, I have the i7 4790K. The stock speed of my cpu is 4.0 GHz while the 4790 is only 3.6 GHz. I only paid a $30 premium over the non-K version which, imo, is well worth a 400 MHz difference.

I only paid a $30 premium over the non-K version which, imo, is well worth a 400 MHz difference.
You paid more than 30 as you didn't buy i5. Not worth.
I'd like to know if there is any 8th Generation Intel processor that comes with a boxed, stock fan? I don't wanna do overclocking, I intend to run the processor at stock speed, and I'm focusing on i5 / i7 family.
i7 8gen stock cooler sux. A test example where it just couldn't keep it up:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-8700-cpu-review,5638-2.html
Yes, I recommend not buying i7 never ever, but if you still won't listen and need to have CPU not ment for gaming, at least buy 3rd party cooler for it. Dunno which one, go for some cheapskate like Arctic Freezer, check JDR's link.

That leaves 8600 or 8400, both are 6core CPUs and there's no way they can fail to deliver at least 60FPS in any game (well, except unoptimized garbage usually coming from Ubisoft where even i9 can't help).
Stock cooler for 8400 and for 8600 is good, won't sweat anywhere and you don't need 3rd party one. When buying CPU just make sure the cooler is in the box or in a bundle.

You said no overclocking so there.

I forgot to say (if it may help in your answers) that I'll build my new PC basically for games (no video/sound editing, etc) and I won't buy a new monitor, meaning I will stay at 1080p, at least for now. I don't intend (in short term) to play games at 4K or VR.

I forgot to say (if it may help in your answers) that I'll build my new PC basically for games (no video/sound editing, etc) and I won't buy a new monitor, meaning I will stay at 1080p, at least for now. I don't intend (in short term) to play games at 4K or VR.

In that case you should even more go i5 instead of i7 as you get nothing from the additional cores. So you should probably go for a 8500, 8600 or 8600k. The k being 500Mhz faster than 8600, only 15 bucks more expensive (on alternate.de) but comes without stock cooler.
If I was putting a PC together I'd go for the 8600k, buy a fan depending on the budget (top ones would be noctua which also cost quite a bit) and overclock slightly, bringing the 3600Mhz up to 3800-4000Mhz (in theory you could go up to 4400 which is a bit more difficulty, power ineffective and also probably not recognizable in games anyways)

If you want to go low budget, i'd probably go for a fast i3 and use the stock cooler. Will still do fine in games. Spend the money you save on a better graphics card.

In that case you should even more go i5 instead of i7 as you get nothing from the additional cores. So you should probably go for a 8500, 8600 or 8600k. The k being 500Mhz faster than 8600, only 15 bucks more expensive (on alternate.de) but comes without stock cooler.
If I was putting a PC together I'd go for the 8600k, buy a fan depending on the budget (top ones would be noctua which also cost quite a bit) and overclock slightly, bringing the 3600Mhz up to 3800-4000Mhz (in theory you could go up to 4400 which is a bit more difficulty, power ineffective and also probably not recognizable in games anyways)

If you want to go low budget, i'd probably go for a fast i3 and use the stock cooler. Will still do fine in games. Spend the money you save on a better graphics card.

I'm really considering to go for a 8600k. The price difference between i5 8600k and i7 8700 (even the non-k version) is considerable here.

As for the videocard, I got a Zotac GTX 1070Ti Mini. I don't know if it's too late to get a better graphics card, as you advised (I hope not! :) ) but like I said earlier, since I'm staying for 1080p for now, I never truly considered to get a 1080/1080 Ti.

Last edited:
If you plan to keep the PC without upgrading for 2+ years, then get i7. Many games are using multiple cores these day and more of them will in the future. The price difference ins't huge so just go for i7.

And stick with Intel and Nvidia, it will save you world of trouble down the line. AMD is good choice for CPU but Intel is still faster and has far better comparability with games than AMD.

Do not buy i7. There wasn't ever nor will any game exist in the next decade that will require i7. Because it wouldn't be a game but whatever complex calculations business software.
The only game that (ab)uses more that 4 cores currently is AC Origins and it's not because of some optimization but because of pisspoor port code - less than 6 cores, that game will hammer all of them 100%. But that's no problem for you as you're getting hexacore i5.
The price difference aka $ you'll save is not irrelevant, it will be enough to invest into more SSD gigabytes or terabytes of external HDD space. Or you can use that difference to buy turdstation on ebay, smash it to pieces in public, film it and upload to internet.

nVidia for hairworks. If hairworks doesn't interest you or you have nothing against simulating it through certain driver options, AMD is good. Hexacore R5 (1600, 2600) is just as good as Intel's chips. Additionally, AMD is currently more efficient with dx12 than nVidia, but developers are slow and still code for dx11 instead of dx12 or vulkan. Only because of that slowness we still don't have one nVidia paired with one AMD GPU inside our rigs as both dx12 and vulkan would use both cards at the same time and the best of both worlds would show in games.

Guess that could be a misophonia response, as we had this topic a few weeks ago. ^^

Can't stand it if people scream into their phones. Doesn't trigger a response that harsh though. After a minute or so I might just have left the room, a bus or in a train, switched to the next trailer.

Btw depending on your case it is more important to keep your disks cool than the cpu itself. most modern cpu (and gpu) can run hot (90+C); but disks really should be kept below 40 or 45 and cooler is better for longevity. If you have a case that has good room between the drives and the heat stuff i wouldn't worry too much if you are not overclocking. The only processor I've known to run excessively hot at stock speeds was the haswell refresh i7 which would end up throttling itself.

--
Having said that I used a noctu sink on my one i7 (I mostly have i5 in my systems). They are excessively expensive but easy to install and have very good cooling.

Back
Top Bottom