Skyrim - Unlocks Midnight

I'm considering waiting until the hype is over and many of the bugs have been patched as well. As Skaven mentioned, Skyrim won't get less than a 9 or 10 and most reviewing websites won't concern themselves with any apparent and obvious in-game flaws. If anything, their job is to make you drool instead of have a fair review. :p

However, I'm also in the position where I've never had much of an issue with Bethsoft's games concerning bugs. In my time, I hadn't encountered anything remotely game breaking, though I do recall having a couple side quests I never finished (but wasn't too worried about, not enough to detract from the experience anyway).

I suppose I would be more concerned if I was playing on Xbox or PS3.

I understand some people had a dickens of a time trying to cure their vampirism before Oblivion was patched. On the PC, there are a lot of options with console commands to circumvent glitches or bugs.

Well I pre-ordered from GameStop using my DX:HR $50 GC.

I was holding out for the release of FO:NV GotY, but appears it won't happen for Xmas (or ever, perhaps). I don't suppose they'd want to compete with Skyrim…

Last edited:
Well I pre-ordered from GameStop using mt DX:HR $50 GC.

I was holding out for the release of FO:NV GotY, but appears it won't happen for Xmas (or ever, perhaps). I don't suppose they'd want itnto compete with Skyrim…

Well considering that the base game for New Vegas has been as low as $10 and most of the DLC have been as cheap as $2.50 you can probably get a decent deal on the GOTY version at some point, if it comes out. If you're not opposed to buying the separate pieces they will probably be really cheap on the Steam winter sale.

Well to be fair Bethesda games haven't been all that buggy for the most part upon release. There are far worse companies for that (Obsidian), but there are always a couple of major patches the first couple of months and then a few fan packs with texture upgrades and stuff I like.

I understand how some people will play it day 1 I get that, its just for me my time is pretty limited so if Im going to spend 40 plus hours in a game i want the best experience I can get.

You just watch and see the hypocrisy in action when the reviews start coming out for this game. All the major gamesites will give this a 10 or a 9 at least. They will barely comment on the bugs that will definitely be in there. They'll say it's the best RPG EVAR!!!

Take the same kind of bugs for any other game and they'll rip it to pieces.

I do love me some good old double standards.

I know this game will be buggy. I accept that like I accept any RPG worth a damn is buggy on release. It's more complicated to make our kinds of games. It's just annoying to know how bought the gaming media is. The only opinions I care about are the ones from this website and a few select others.

This happens will all the big studios with lots of money now.

Anyone remember PCGamer just gushing over Oblivion when it was first reviewed? Then a year or so ago (like 3 years later) they went back and said "well as great as it was there were definitely these flaws (and they listed level scaling)....

Yes it will be 9 and 10's and game of the year Im sure.

That being said I liked Oblivion ok once I installed about 20 mods and removed the level scaling.

I think for Skyrim you are looking at more like 400 hours.

Nah more like 50 for me. I never spent 100 hours on a game except for DA Origins. I recall someone spending 900 hours on oblivion.

I prefer quests and interaction oven exploring every inch of the game. Hopefully they learned from Fallout NV and Obsidian on how to do it.

Last edited:
You just watch and see the hypocrisy in action when the reviews start coming out for this game. All the major gamesites will give this a 10 or a 9 at least. They will barely comment on the bugs that will definitely be in there. They'll say it's the best RPG EVAR!!!

Take the same kind of bugs for any other game and they'll rip it to pieces.

I do love me some good old double standards.

I know this game will be buggy. I accept that like I accept any RPG worth a damn is buggy on release. It's more complicated to make our kinds of games. It's just annoying to know how bought the gaming media is. The only opinions I care about are the ones from this website and a few select others.

Funny, I don't remember any gamestopping bugs in bethesda games(other then say daggerfall) But I do remember them in most Obsidian games...must be the major money they pay for reviews right?

I played Fallout New Vegas extensively from launch and I only encountered a few minor cosmetic glitches like creatures melting into the terrain, objects getting stuck, etc. Since I was playing on PC, the couple of times I got stuck in terrain, I just used a console command to extricate myself.

As for Oblivion, it was not exactly the most stable game, even after the unofficial patch and using Oblivion Crash Prevention System, LAA 4GB patch, etc., not to mention after installing a couple hundred mods. But it's still fun to play even if it crashes every once in a while.

Just ordered on Steam. Since its a 3-day weekend for me this was good news. Been a few years since I was this excited about a game! Takes 20 years off me :)
I feel the same as you. It's been a long time since I felt like this about a game and it makes me feel like a kid again. Priceless! I look at it as more than just playing a video game, it's a hobby.

IKnowRight?
I've been a gamer for more years than I care to count. FPS and RPG get's my blood going but I haven't been this excited about a title release in a long, long time.
Hell, I'm buying THREE copies of the game at midnight! A PC version for me and two xbox copies just to keep the kids off me so I can enjoy the experience!

Wow, that's a whole lot of Skyrim!

I actually don't like how much it's being marketed. I can't go to any remotely gaming related website without seeing an ad for it, but I'll still pick it up. I prefer hard copy to digital download, however.

I'm getting both pc types too. I preordered through Steam and I'll buy a hard copy at Gamestop.

why would you do that?

He can start playing immediately and then pick it up later when he has the time. At least that's my guess because I was thinking the same thing :p

I'm not going to do that though mostly because I'm not that big a fan of Bethesda. Actually it's sorta a love/hate thing going on now. I'll pick it up next Sat or Sun. Hopefully it'll be in by then.

IKnowRight?
I've been a gamer for more years than I care to count. FPS and RPG get's my blood going but I haven't been this excited about a title release in a long, long time.
Hell, I'm buying THREE copies of the game at midnight! A PC version for me and two xbox copies just to keep the kids off me so I can enjoy the experience!

I know exactly how you feel - I already pre-ordered the Steam version but after seeing the two new developer diary videos, I'm seriously thinking about ordering the Collector's edition as well.

Back
Top Bottom