What are you reading?

In between watching some Six Nations games (huge congrats Ireland!!), I finished Ghost Country, the sequel to the Breach, by Patrick Lee. Another good, basic thriller type, not always my favourite kind of book to read, but these have just enough sci fi tossed in to keep me hooked.

Just finished revival (I normally don't read books about rev jacobs but ...); and I think watership down is going to be my next read. I read it once before when I was 9 or 10; i wonder how much of it i will remember.

I read Watership Down for the first time about ten years ago. I thought it was fantastic, very vivid with great characters. I plan to read it again at some point.

I completed the third book of the Demon Cycle, and they just seem to improve with each release. Unlike the second novel, the author didn't spend the first two hundred pages detailing the history of a character that I don't care for, he jumped from several points of view and made it far more interesting. Hopefully soon, the humans cease killing one another and focus entirely on the demon issue.

I'm just about to finish American Gods. It has its moments, but I didn't enjoy it near as much as I thought it would. It just seemed so scattershot, substance-less....I've been in a pretty down state of mind lately, so maybe that didn't help.

I just recently watched the American Gods tv version, and for me I'll say it didn't come off nearly as impressive as the book did. A shame, really, I was hoping for much better, but the book was far superior, as tends to happen.

Haven’t watched it myself, though thanks for reminding me to.

I read the book so long ago (2002?) I barely remember the plot, but the style left more of a lasting impression.

Do you guys know about Baen's book CD's?

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Can't say I'm much of a fan of this type of pulp sci-fi/fantasy but once in a while it can be ok. They're all free. Download the zip files and you can open the contents in a browser, alternately run a search over them for your preferred file type.

My reading time is so limitted (it's at zero right now, damn games ;) ), that I am extremely selective in my reading material. I read most on summer vacation, sticking to award winners/nominees or favorite authors.

I read another one of Connie Willis's novels over the weekend, 'To Say Nothing of the Dog". It is another story set in her Doomday Book universe, and it starts off quite different in that the protagonist is suffering from over exhaustion/stress/fatigue to the point that, for the first one hundred pages or so, you cannot entirely trust what he is seeing. I found it very different from the first book set in that universe, but once I got past the beginning I quite enjoyed it.

Today I completed the fourth book of the Demon Cycle, leaving just one to go. One thing I've really learned while reading this series: do not get too attached to any of the characters, many will die. In very nasty ways. The end.

When the library has the Core available, I will get to see how it all ends. I hope this series is never transitioned to either movies or television, as I cannot imagine at all how it could compare to the fine books.

I just finished two books by Joe Lansdale that have been on my to-read pile for quite a while: A Thin Dark Line and Leather Maiden. Liked both. One day I'll catch up with his Hap & Leonard series, the last of which I read was Devil Red.
Not certain what to read next.

Reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. I'm a bit more than half way through and I can't say I'm all that impressed. The world building isn't great and I don't care about the characters all that much. I'm close to putting it down for good. Does it get better?

Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Maybe a little longer than it should have been, and I would have liked more insights into the whole time travel thing, but it did keep me hooked until the end. On to IT, right now, which has been in my backlog for forever.

Reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. I'm a bit more than half way through and I can't say I'm all that impressed. The world building isn't great and I don't care about the characters all that much. I'm close to putting it down for good. Does it get better?

I remember liking them, but it's been quite some years so don't remember whether they started slow or not. I do remember I devoured the follow-up trilogy, the Tawny Man one. That one was solid.

I'd try to stick with it at least until the end of the current book, but the choice is obviously yours. :)

Blew through Deep Sky while watching the Master's tournament yesterday afternoon, the final book in the Breach series. Overall during the course of the three novels I really enjoyed the story, but the final book seemed chock full of filler. Still, I'd say all three are worth reading, if you enjoy thrillers with a sci-fi theme.

Back
Top Bottom