Ad-blocking jumps by 10%

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
It's pretty much just a raw data from GlobalWenIndex:
http://www.globalwebindex.net/blog/ad-blocking-jumps-by-10

In just three months, adbocking software presence risen from 28% to 38% of internet users as seen on a graph there.

What could have caused this spike? Everspamming popups? Irritating automatic stream advertisments with skyhigh audio volume? Malwaretising with clickme that leads to unwanted executables?

Dunno. But of all people I talked to who installed win10, I don't know a single one who switched on the new browser Edge which is perhaps the fastest browser that exists for a single reason - it doesn't support add-ons means no adblocking possibility.

I'm using ublock with Firefox, where I've set not blocking ads on sites I care about like RPGwatch or postimage.org. But without it, random browsing on internet was honestly pain in the arse.

Like Youtube. My partner just told me they're going broke from ad blockers. But you know what…it's what they get. Every video you play has thirty must-watch seconds of the same upbeat corporatized hipster music with some idiot whistling as part of some…I dunno…detergent ad or something. They brought it on themselves.

It's the adblocking in iOS 9.

I have no qualms about adblocking everything. I never gave any of these people permission to follow me around the Internet and sell this information. People need to fight back against it.

My fear is that, with the rise of people using ad-blockers, certain services that we've enjoyed using for free will be forced to start charging for use. This is the primary reason my husband and I have decided not to hop on the ad-block wagon - its easy enough to just mute the ads and wait out their 15-30 second duration.

I'm very good at not paying attention to things I don't need paying attention to. Whether it's ads or posts from posters I want to partially ignore. *looking at … no one in particular.* :)

But I've disabled tracking wherever I can disable tracking.

pibur who admittedly also is good at not paying attention to a few things he probably should pay attention to. Like whether he's here or not.

PS. BTW, most videos I watch on Youtube has disable-after-4-seconds-ads. But perhaps there are regional variation? DS.

99% of the content is not worth paying for anyway, and the ad model makes people write cheap clickbait like Gawker or Buzzfeed. If the model would crumble it would be a good thing.

99% of the content is not worth paying for anyway, and the ad model makes people write cheap clickbait like Gawker or Buzzfeed. If the model would crumble it would be a good thing.

I can agree with some of your issues, but I do think you exaggerate a bit.

pibbur who actually think most people exaggerate (he has just learned how to spell the world), exaggerating has no place in pibburland where life is beautiful all the time.

HHR is right in this issue, it really doesn't matter if people start charging for their websites, it just means people wont go there any more and it will allow competition to develop as people dig around for free sites who need to build-up to where they can start charging.

Right now the model seems to go like this:

1. Get a big loan and start a new website.

2. Assuming it works well, point to the massive traffic you're getting and get even bigger loans to improve the website.

3. Repeat step 2 until loans come due.

4. Smother the website in advertisements.

5. Everyone leaves (except some of the folks using ad blocking) for another website that's still on step 2.

6. Sell company to some established monster corporation and retire.

Something has to give! With all the horribleness that comes through advertisements right now, I'm thinking the paid websites are the way to go. It should happen once banks and investors start asking how the web site is going to earn money GIVEN THAT they can't do it with advertisements.

Dunno. But of all people I talked to who installed win10, I don't know a single one who switched on the new browser Edge which is perhaps the fastest browser that exists for a single reason - it doesn't support add-ons means no adblocking possibility.
No add-ons means virus scanners can't pop one in to help protect you, either, which is why I stopped using it.

An interesting response to this problem is the new Brave browser, from one of the founders of Mozilla. It blocks all advertising and tracking by default, but replaces the ads with untracked and unobtrusive ads of its own. The ad revenue is then shared with the sites.

Essentially, the browser pulls the ads, rather than the sites pushing them. It's open source, so we can verify that it is respecting our privacy.

It's a novel solution, and I would feel good about using such a browser - I'd be supporting the sites I visit, but not allowing intrusive tracking and obnoxious bits of code to harass me.

https://www.brave.com/

Last edited:
Well, the thing is as soon as a website starts charging something, everyone moves to another similar website which is free with or without adz.

Brave looks interesting. It's going to be tricky to actually get that information to all the websites out there, though, so they can collect their cash. If that can actually get done, and if they can really keep the replacement advertisements not-evil, this could be a really good thing. Somebody remind me to look into it again come (checks the timeline) Halloween.

Or maybe we'll collectively move towards a culture that once again agrees a small monetary payment is "worth it" to support quality journalism or a news/blog site we enjoy. Instead of being bombarded with ads people could perhaps pay something like... hmm, perhaps a very small "subscription fee" used to support the "writers" being a gateway to the content? Almost like they did with physical magazines back in the day, which were still stuffed with ads but since the ads were stationary and didn't shout at you or take over your eyes/browser, only the perfume inserts were annoying...?

Not likely but hey, anything's possible. ;)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
I use adblock everywhere. I was more ambivalent about it, then I got hardware breaking rootkits from a malicious ad. Not worth a repair bill because the site can't control what sort of ads are shown on it. When they then cry and try guilting me about it it only makes me feel better about doing it. I'm not gonna buy the shit on the ads anyways because that's not how I notice new products.

I use adblock everywhere. I was more ambivalent about it, then I got hardware breaking rootkits from a malicious ad. Not worth a repair bill because the site can't control what sort of ads are shown on it. When they then cry and try guilting me about it it only makes me feel better about doing it. I'm not gonna buy the shit on the ads anyways because that's not how I notice new products.

Yes, this is why I've been using NoScript in Firefox at home and AdBlock on Chrome otherwise for a looong time. The website you're looking at very often doesn't control the ads you see, that's google, and who vets the plethora of those ads? Security risks and waste of screen real estate and bandwidth - no thanks.

I also really have wonder at what cost benefit web page advertising garners. The only time I have ever clicked on one was unintentionally. Maybe that's just me though, as a rule I kind of despise ads and advertising. I grew up when TV remotes weren't common and in a place with only a couple of TV stations. So watching TV and being subjected to advertising you couldn't avoid I always felt they were wasting my time. That and having someone tell me what to do or eat or wear, lying through their teeth about how good it is... Rubs me the wrong way.

KWM

I've already seen several sites fight back crying "poor me" over ad blocking due to the increase of them built into phones. It certainly improves performance, however I suspect, like the FF fork above, the real goal is to hold groups hostage the way adaware did (and blew up!) and the way MS does with their WHQL crap, etc.

For that I've been using privacy badger and refcontrol to bypass the adblocking-blocking.

in re: to ublock vs adblock, last year I discovered I really got slowed down on my internet and adblock was one of the culprits. ublock improved things quite a bit but it doesn't block as well IMO.

I've already seen several sites fight back crying "poor me" over ad blocking due to the increase of them built into phones. It certainly improves performance, however I suspect, like the FF fork above, the real goal is to hold groups hostage the way adaware did (and blew up!) and the way MS does with their WHQL crap, etc.

For that I've been using privacy badger and refcontrol to bypass the adblocking-blocking.

in re: to ublock vs adblock, last year I discovered I really got slowed down on my internet and adblock was one of the culprits. ublock improved things quite a bit but it doesn't block as well IMO.

I haven't come across any adblocking blocking yet, but I'm curious how you've configured Refcontrol to defeat it.

ah sorry, looks like refcontrol is for redirection referrals. not sure why I even got it, but it did fix my weird problem of logging in here and somehow trying to go to CBS news.

Privacy Badger is for blocking trackers and its infancy for Windows. Now what did I use to block adblocking blocking..? Maybe it was refcontrol for news sites that required blockers off to read and stopped the redirection.

My fear is that, with the rise of people using ad-blockers, certain services that we've enjoyed using for free will be forced to start charging for use. This is the primary reason my husband and I have decided not to hop on the ad-block wagon - its easy enough to just mute the ads and wait out their 15-30 second duration.
Maybe that is not a bad thing. If Twitch would become P2W service at least I would suddenly have lots of free time to spend on better things :D

Back
Top Bottom