Is it time to just get a console?

@joxer; Cmon you know hardware. That console wont be stuttering or choppy. I believe the spec surpass your current PC.
DP and not HDMI connected to my 144hz capable monitor and 3 Tb of SSD (3 drives) inside - that's my PC.

Sure, the new Xbox and PS5 will surpass my GPU as I'm using GTX 1070. No game so far made my GPU sweat as I'm using it for 1080p, it's actually an overkill. But I can't care less about 4K nor overrated raytracing earlyattempts so upgrading my current GPU makes no sense.
A few games made problems for my PC, and those are all CPU hammering unoptimized code rubbish. Would my potential investment in an expensive CPU persuade certain developers to start optimizing stuff already? No. Well then, sorry, no bonus. Instead I'll write all over internet that the game code was written by 5yr olds and it sux.

@Ivanwah; It’s just a simple question. What’s wrong with it?

It's a loaded question. It implies that PCs are just not worth it anymore and that consoles are pretty much superior in most aspects. All that while you're talking about the consoles that haven't been released yet and we know nothing about besides some leaks and promotional material.

IMO, wording the question like "What do you think about the next-gen consoles?" is a more level way to start a conversation. Yours just has that click-baity quality to it which I'm sure wasn't your intention.

It implies that PCs are just not worth it anymore and that consoles are pretty much superior in most aspects.
That's actually true for certain type of gamers.

The thing is, that specific type of gamers has a superior and cheaper option than consoles: phones. You don't even have to sit any more and you don't need a monitor or TV. You may play games while lying down.

"Just a console"? Damn no.

Why limiting yourself to one system? Some games won't come to consoles (like our beloved cRPG) and vice versa.

I'm a GAMER: I want to be able to play the next Pillars of Eternity AND the next Days Gone… =)

Last edited:
It's a loaded question. It implies that PCs are just not worth it anymore and that consoles are pretty much superior in most aspects. All that while you're talking about the consoles that haven't been released yet and we know nothing about besides some leaks and promotional material.

IMO, wording the question like "What do you think about the next-gen consoles?" is a more level way to start a conversation. Yours just has that click-baity quality to it which I'm sure wasn't your intention.

Loaded? No. I guess everything’s up for interpretation but that definitely wasn’t my intent.

I think if you read the entire posts or my follow up posts it would be clear I’m a PC first gamer. I did say I wouldn’t switch.

I do believe there’s an audience though that would find this tempting. For instance my brother was a PC only gamer until a couple years ago. He got tired of upgrading and maintaining his PC so he bought a console and never looked back. As consoles become more PC like I wonder if other will adopt that attitude.

Can you use it with keyboard and mouse?

They say they’ll have M&K support. I wonder how much support. Will it actually be supported in every game or just used as an input device for the GUI and internet capabilities.

For instance my brother was a PC only gamer until a couple years ago. He got tired of upgrading and maintaining his PC
He got lazy and found an easy way out. Not sure why console and not phone.

I have another problem, because of lazyness my butt is getting bigger and no phone can fix that. Not enough moving because I just cba to take strolls as I used to, plus I noticed lately I'm constantly hungry and eat too much, perhaps double than usual. Could it be andropause?

He got lazy and found an easy way out. Not sure why console and not phone.

I have another problem, because of lazyness my butt is getting bigger and no phone can fix that. Not enough moving because I just cba to take strolls as I used to, plus I noticed lately I'm constantly hungry and eat too much, perhaps double than usual. Could it be andropause?

Lazy is comparing gaming on a phone to gaming on a console.

But, let's face it, the phone games really suck.

There's never been a worse time to get a console, tbh.

That said, I've always gotten them.

I almost never use them, though.

Care to elaborate?

Sure.

These past few generations, there's been ever fewer exclusives - and the hardware, even at launch, hasn't been able to truly compete with high-end PCs.

Maybe for a very brief period the next-gen consoles will, but that will be over just as soon as Nvidia/AMD releases their next generation, which will be very soon.

It used to be that new consoles would be superior in terms of performance, because games were written for the hardware - but that's no longer the case to the same extent, and we're seeing a clear move towards platform unity - where games are sold on all platforms, with the vast majority of exclusives getting released on PC - even if it's sometimes a few years later.

Unless something very significantly changes - and that's not happening with the next-gen consoles - then PC will remain the superior platform in every way, not least of which would be the modding scene.

Also, I predict that VR has managed to survive into the next phase - which will become mainstream sooner than many might expect.

Alyx VR will do a lot to push that even more - and recent innovations include things like Natural Locomotion - which is probably the final obstacle they needed to overcome.

It won't be more than 1-2 generations before VR is a real and very desirable thing - and, for that, you'll more than likely also want a PC for the best experience - and the most diverse library of games.

Sure.

These past few generations, there's been ever fewer exclusives - and the hardware, even at launch, hasn't been able to truly compete with high-end PCs.

Maybe for a very brief period the next-gen consoles will, but that will be over just as soon as Nvidia/AMD releases their next generation, which will be very soon.

It used to be that new consoles would be superior in terms of performance, because games were written for the hardware - but that's no longer the case to the same extent, and we're seeing a clear move towards platform unity - where games are sold on all platforms, with the vast majority of exclusives getting released on PC - even if it's sometimes a few years later.

Unless something very significantly changes - and that's not happening with the next-gen consoles - then PC will remain the superior platform in every way, not least of which would be the modding scene.

Also, I predict that VR has managed to survive into the next phase - which will become mainstream sooner than many might expect.

Alyx VR will do a lot to push that even more - and recent innovations include things like Natural Locomotion - which is probably the final obstacle they needed to overcome.

It won't be more than 1-2 generations before VR is a real and very desirable thing - and, for that, you'll more than likely also want a PC for the best experience - and the most diverse library of games.

You just hit the nail on the head why you and I shouldn’t buy a console. Of course I buy one every generation.:lol:

You’re also correct that PC is the superior platform, but I’d argue that only at the high end. Heck there’s PS4 games that I’d have to pause to notice the difference between it and my absurd PC setup and the PS4 costs a fraction of just my video card. My brother has AC:Odessey on PS4 and yes it looks worse but not thousands of dollars worse.

Keep in mind I’m not talking about people like me that will mod and tinker with almost every game they play (Which is what we have for the most part here at the watch so i deserve everything i get for asking this question here :biggrin: )

I’m talking about the average joe/Josie that will buy Skyrim, download it and then just play. (Unless I’m underestimating the average Joe/Josie :thinking: . For those people it may be the best time to “just but a console” the next gen will be cheap compared to a high end gaming PC , Offer 80% or so of the visual quality, run at 1080p\120, probably have some kind of mod support and while VR will be best on PC I’m sure sony and MS will have decent alternatives.

I agree with you about exclusives, Xbox exclusives seem to be a thing of the past and Sony seems to be open to at least timed exclusives but I’m still waiting to see on that.

You just hit the nail on the head why you and I shouldn’t buy a console. Of course I buy one every generation.:lol:

You’re also correct that PC is the superior platform, but I’d argue that only at the high end. Heck there’s PS4 games that I’d have to pause to notice the difference between it and my absurd PC setup and the PS4 costs a fraction of just my video card. My brother has AC:Odessey on PS4 and yes it looks worse but not thousands of dollars worse.

Keep in mind I’m not talking about people like me that will mod and tinker with almost every game they play (Which is what we have for the most part here at the watch so i deserve everything i get for asking this question here :biggrin: )

I’m talking about the average joe/Josie that will buy Skyrim, download it and then just play. (Unless I’m underestimating the average Joe/Josie :thinking: . For those people it may be the best time to “just but a console” the next gen will be cheap compared to a high end gaming PC , Offer 80% or so of the visual quality, run at 1080p\120, probably have some kind of mod support and while VR will be best on PC I’m sure sony and MS will have decent alternatives.

I agree with you about exclusives, Xbox exclusives seem to be a thing of the past and Sony seems to be open to at least timed exclusives but I’m still waiting to see on that.

I admit, I'm speaking as an enthusiast gamer - assuming such a person is also my audience :)

That said, I do NOT agree that Odyssey isn't looking thousands of dollars better on my PC - and I've seen both versions.

Of course, I tweak my games using filters - and I run my games on a 144hz monitor and near-zero input lag, and so on.

Such things make a HUGE difference to me - but I know that "the average joe" might not even notice.

But even for the average joe - it's still the worst time to get a console, even if it might be a good idea for some of those joes :)

Average joe do not see the difference between 30/60 frames per sec nor has any idea what's motion blur and why are some people disabling it whenever possible.

In other words, (most of) Ubisoft's developers are average joes.

I admit, I'm speaking as an enthusiast gamer - assuming such a person is also my audience :)

That said, I do NOT agree that Odyssey isn't looking thousands of dollars better on my PC - and I've seen both versions.

Of course, I tweak my games using filters - and I run my games on a 144hz monitor and near-zero input lag, and so on.

Such things make a HUGE difference to me - but I know that "the average joe" might not even notice.

But even for the average joe - it's still the worst time to get a console, even if it might be a good idea for some of those joes :)

I suppose the value of thousands of dollars is subjective. :)

I admit I didn’t tweak AC:O at all except for messing endlessly with HDR because for some reason MS can get it working flawlessly on Xbox but just can’t figure it out for windows. It took awhile but does look great.

I used to be a high FPS person but have since traded it in for 4K and giant screens. 120” screen in my face with a 7.6.4 Dolby atmos setup surrounding me is quite breathtaking. I have to admit though once the hdmi 2.1 true 120hz tv’s are released I’ll probably upgrade as 60hz while not terrible is a bit lacking

Nice to have you back for however long.

I suppose the value of thousands of dollars is subjective. :)

I admit I didn’t tweak AC:O at all except for messing endlessly with HDR because for some reason MS can get it working flawlessly on Xbox but just can’t figure it out for windows. It took awhile but does look great.

I used to be a high FPS person but have since traded it in for 4K and giant screens. 120” screen in my face with a 7.6.4 Dolby atmos setup surrounding me is quite breathtaking. I have to admit though once the hdmi 2.1 true 120hz tv’s are released I’ll probably upgrade as 60hz while not terrible is a bit lacking

Nice to have you back for however long.

4K looks nice but it's such a slog. Especially if you're using an actual TV - as the response time is for shit.

No wonder you're thinking console.

I need my dude to respond like a Ninja :)

I usually play characters like that, so….

That said, I wouldn't mind a higher resolution with similar performance.

But performance is king for me.

But you're never going to get a console to perform well under those circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom