We Are The Caretakers - Launching April 22nd

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
We Are The Caretakers is described as a science fiction based squad management RPG with turn based combat. The game will release April 22nd. Currently there is a demo available to try on the Steam page.

We Are The Caretakers is an afrofuturist squad management RPG. Assemble an arcane team of protectors in squad-building systems inspired by Darkest Dungeon, Ogre Battle, and XCOM. Defend the endangered animals your world relies on in strategic turn-based combat. Define your approach to a global resistance by balancing your reputation, funds, research, animals and alliances. We Are The Caretakers is a challenging strategy RPG fusion that asks you to protect a planet by fighting for the people, animals and ecosystems that inhabit it.

FEATURES

• AFROFUTURIST UNIVERSE: Former Activision-Blizzard artist Anthony Jones brings breathtaking afrofuturist style and human empathy to a complex sci-fi world.
  • REPUTATION SYSTEM: Every action affects how others see the Caretakers. Do they fear you? Or will they support your quest to protect the endangered Raun, and decide the fate of the world?
  • TURN-BASED ENCOUNTERS: Balance force with diplomacy in an innovative turn-based combat system. Live with the consequences as you deal with the messy reality of animal conservation.
  • SQUAD BUILDING: Assemble up to 9 squads of characters with diverse traits, weaknesses, abilities, and personalities. Train and upgrade your Caretakers across 20+ unique job classes.
  • GROW YOUR HEADQUARTERS: Meet leaders, research technologies, and recruit allies in your sci-fi HQ. Balance their conflicting demands to save our world.
  • NUANCED NARRATIVE: In our morally-complex world, the individuals outside your squad matter as much as the rangers you deploy on each map.
  • GENERATED WILDLIFE: The challenging and procedurally generated survival mode brings never-ending ways to play.
  • YOU GET A BABY RAUN: It will nuzzle against your bed long after it grows too large to reasonably do so. It is adorable.
More information.

They're going all out on the 'save the animals' theme with that steam page, hope there's more to the game than that. I support kindness to animals and its a good starting theme for a game world, but it could get irritating if the game is contstantly hitting the player with the developers' views.
But I like the more original style of the setting and there can never be enough turn based games!

If I can go around gumming my opposition in turn-based combat, waving my walker at the young scallions on my lawn, I'll buy this on day one!!

UI is okay. Character design and especially map coloring looks like somebody barfed all over the place. Combat is ridiculous.

It has style. Although a different style compared what I'm used to. And this is most definitively NOT fantasy ...

Back
Top Bottom