What games are you playing now?

As far as the writing in general, I thought BG2 was better. While I like the plot in BG1 well enough, I found Sarevok to be a generic, cliche antagonist. By comparison, Jon Irenicus is far more interesting and much less transparent. He's still one of my favorite villians in any crpg.

Sarevok was generic enough that I could pretty much ignore him, but Irenicus was one of those smug, super-awesome-to-the-max uber-villains that I just can't stand (actually, that's pretty much Dart's generic American TV-style again). Between him, the linearity, and the dominating NPCs, it's just spikey blue hair away from being a JRPG. :p

You're not making that guy sound too great, Menigal :)

That spikey blue hair thing is just about the only thing I loathe more than standard US TV show writing :)

Sarevok was generic enough that I could pretty much ignore him, but Irenicus was one of those smug, super-awesome-to-the-max uber-villains that I just can't stand (actually, that's pretty much Dart's generic American TV-style again). Between him, the linearity, and the dominating NPCs, it's just spikey blue hair away from being a JRPG. :p

I'm starting to wonder if you played the same game as the rest of us. ;)

but I'm obviously in the minority when it comes to this game.

Now that I'll agree with. :p

Been working through BG2, currently doing the Underdark city, and I must admit that I'm almost blown away by the amount of content the game has. The length doesn't come from grinding or meaningless dungeon romping or overly long traveling/exploration with minutes pilling up into hours due to inefficient distances but instead actual, real and almost tangible content delivered via proper quests.

Is HowLongToBeat right in saying that the original BG2 lasts 30 hours(about 50%) longer than BG1 and needs 86 hours on average to go through the most of it? And that's not even counting content added by the EE or Unfinished Business. Even if the above numbers are off I think I can already (at Ch4) see this dwarfing DA:O or NWN2.

Aside from that I must note that the game is considerably more difficult than fist one although I think I prefer earlier Dnd to the lvls BG2 has, the pathfinding is much worse, probably due to the more complex areas and the more focused approach can be seen in area design as well with plenty of memorable PS:T-quality locations.

Aside from that I must note that the game is considerably more difficult than fist one although I think I prefer earlier Dnd to the lvls BG2 has

I also felt BG2 was a lot more challenging than the first game. A lot of it has to do with how you plan your character and knowing how to power-game, but I prefer to just roleplay most of the time rather than being concerned with milking every possible advantage.

I recall some mage battles being particularly annoying for me. It helps to memorize which counter-defensive spells (Dispel Magic, Breach, Spell Thrust, Etc.) work against certain protection spells.

I personally enjoyed BG1 as an RPG more than I did BG2. Not only were the NPCs more varied in the first, but things were also a lot less linear - the last 10% of BG2 (post-Underdark) is a hurried mess. And the mage fights, while technically challenging, are pretty gimmicky when all is said and done.

Still, some of the endearing conversations are still memorable to this day: Keldorn voicing his confidence in Mazzy, for example.

…but Durlag's Tower > Watcher's Keep any day of the week ;)

...and, in terms of overall storytelling, I actually preferred Icewind Dale (1) to both of them.

Which conversation between Keldorn and Mazzy are you referring to? I disliked Mazzy a lot so I didn't have her in party too often (on the other hand, Keldorn was one of must have in party :))

I have to disagree with your opinion on NPCs in BG1 though - they hardly had any dialogues, I didn't see much point of having them around. In fact, when I finally finish this round of BG:EE, I'm actually thinking of rolling the whole party and play it like IWD style. Also, I don't think after underdark was a rushed mess - it was meant to be feel a bit rushed. Irenicus took your soul and you are dying every second - need of haste is very obvious :p

Haven't finish IWD so can't comment on that :) Speaking of which... until PoE is out, I really should try to finish them all (BG:EE, IWD1&2). WoW still sucks out too much time from me :(

…but Durlag's Tower > Watcher's Keep any day of the week ;)
If the difference in the type of challenge is consistent with the rest of the game I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Currently attempting Kangaxx and suffice to say I'm fairly annoyed and find the fight absolutely ridiculous. It's the type of fight that revels in either cheesy exploits or over the top powergaming. Not sure what their legacy is but I certainly think the scripted fights the game has now and then are a major step-down from the difficult yet gameplay-adhering tough fights of the original.

started playing the Banner Saga, loving it so far (played a couple of hours but I'll restart, now that I have a better feel of tactics and what not, too many rookie losses in my first few fights)

Spurred on by some of the opinions on these boards, I've FINALLY managed to pull myself away from the FNV Nexus and started playing Path of Exile. Man, this game is fun. Not since D2 has my action RPG itch been scratched this well.

Stopped playing BG for the moment, but haven't entirely given up on it. Got through Durlag's Tower - which I don't remember I've done since release, and it was much shorter than I remember it being, and there was no "resolution". Wonder if I missed something?

Spent most of yesterday modding Skyrim after re-installing it. Was a pain, but I might finally have managed to mod it up nicely again.

Now comes the stability test - which unfortunately means I can't fully commit until I've played for hours without crashes.

If that works - I'm going to spend a few days in the near future soaked in a fantastic game.

Stopped playing BG for the moment, but haven't entirely given up on it. Got through Durlag's Tower - which I don't remember I've done since release, and it was much shorter than I remember it being, and there was no "resolution". Wonder if I missed something?
Don't mean to spoil much but at the bottom level you're meant to fight a demon, save a guy and take an item for a quest in Ulgoth's Beard.

Don't mean to spoil much but at the bottom level you're meant to fight a demon, save a guy and take an item for a quest in Ulgoth's Beard.

Hmm, I might have missed that level. I was trying hard to find secret entrances and stuff, though.

Care to elaborate? You could use spoiler tags :)

Hmm, I might have missed that level. I was trying hard to find secret entrances and stuff, though.

Care to elaborate? You could use spoiler tags :)
Are you sure you actually accessed the Labyriths ? :biggrin:

I could rephrase things in so many ways but I think you'd be better off skimming the location's wikia entry if you don't mind the mild spoilers, not like the area has much to spoil though.

was fighting the Demonknight at the bottom level of the labyrinth. In the same room you can find a scared fighter called Dalton who you just goes home after you talk to him. The Demonknight drops a Soultaker dagger which was part of one of the Ulgoth's Beard quests that originally sent you to Durlag's tower and will lead to fighting another demon.

Are you sure you actually accessed the Labyriths ? :biggrin:

I could rephrase things in so many ways but I think you'd be better off skimming the location's wikia entry if you don't mind the mild spoilers, not like the area has much to spoil though.

was fighting the Demonknight at the bottom level of the labyrinth. In the same room you can find a scared fighter called Dalton who you just goes home after you talk to him. The Demonknight drops a Soultaker dagger which was part of one of the Ulgoth's Beard quests that originally sent you to Durlag's tower and will lead to fighting another demon.

Hehe, pretty sure I missed a lot then :)

I'll look into it, thanks.

Just got a beta invite for Hearthstone, and started dabbling with it. And it's pretty fun. And I can easily see how it can get very addicting. It's similar to Magic the gathering, but not as complex. But very fun and enchanting. It's got every look and feel of a really polished Blizzard game. It's very heavy in Warcraft atmosphere and very enjoyable.

But they seem to be having some server issues, because my client sometimes takes forever to start battles. I first thought it was something with my system, but if you just leave it do its thing, it'll start the battle eventually.

Anyways, aside from the issue I've had it seems to be great. And I can only imagine how addicting it could get on my table when it launches. Btw, I'd love it if they did the same game but Diablo or Starcraft themed.

I have not read much of this as my internet time is limited.

Currently playing - Oblivion, old PS1 rpg's.

Put a bit of time into Eschalon Book II on the Mac today as aaa refresher.

After finishing a couple of review games, am now loading ...

Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition on the iPad! Was surprised it was $15!

Playing early access version of Might and Magic Legacy- I like it quite a bit initially. It looks like this is what MM9 should have been. I am finding the movement less of a problem then I originally thought I would. Classes are ok and I love the combat. I just have one complaint and that is balance which I hope they addressed when it gets released this week. I played through the beginning dungeon and got some ok drops and about 1000 gold. Enough exp to level up. Life is good.

However, when I leave the city, the problems start. Weapons start breaking. I am using all my mana potions to get through a single fight. I already spent all my money on spells and ranged weapons for everybody. Exp is grievously low per kill and gold drops are miniscule.I am soon out of supplies which get used every time you rest. After slogging around for another level, I went back to the beginning dungeon where there were 3 left-over monsters. Each kill yielded more then triple the xp from what I was getting outside and I walked out of there with over 300 gold. At level 3.

I read the codex's glowing report after they played a new build in which they were granted access to level 2 and its sounds like the game is ready to shine. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom