General News - Final Fantasy XVI announced for the PS5

It still gives me a tingle of hype when I see a new Final Fantasy announced, even though I know it'll never be something I'll enjoy playing. Wish that I was wrong.

I might!

Definitely a very high chance this will show up on PC about a year later.

I believe this time it'll happen sooner.
The question however is the type of this game. Who can say for certain it's not yet another mmo?

I've never, ever been able to get into this series and Lord Knows I have tried. It's just the story/plot (or lack thereof) is All Over The Place and I don't find myself caring about any of the characters.

I tried playing the latest FF on my PS, it was like the 6 remake or something and it's just generic JRPG with big guy with gun-arm and little blond-sword guy fighting against the evil corporation polluting the world and draining it of resources. Yawn. That's too close to real life.

I never touched those old ones they look like Nokia3310 snake.
Who needs that in this century?

But I did like stories in ff9, 10 and 10-2. I did not like the story in ff15 (it's borin') but the world there was fantastic.
I hated ff13 so much I'm prepared to call it the shiniest package of bullshit ever made. :) On PC. On consoles they have Order 1886 to pwn everything in that department.

I never touched those old ones they look like Nokia3310 snake.

Hey, Nokia's Snake is a classic. Show some respect! :)

Ever since Final Fantasy 12 my interest in this franchise has been waning. It mostly has to do with Square Enix not having a clue what direction they want the series to go.

Hopefully the next game isn't another Bro-fest or Sis-con game.:(

Honestly, this one looks … half-baked at best.
Just look at poor Shiva at around 0:45 … if the crystal is better looking than the summon herself, we are in deep trouble.
(For the uninitiated: summons are the be-all-end-all mythical creatures in every Final Fantasy game)

I think this is an emergency presentation from a bunch of work-in-progress videos, hastily made just in time for the PS5 reveal event.

I also love the "Creative Business Unit III" studio logo at the beginning.
No more "Hironobu Sakaguchi presents…", no more "from the creative mind of Yasumi Matsuno…", not even a humble "Team Final Fantasy" - just "Creative Business Unit III".
This pretty much sums it all.

I tried quite few games from this franchise, but never could really get into it. I made serious attempts especially with FF 9,12 and 15, where I dumped many hours of gameplay, but couldnt make myself to finish neither of them anyway. Till FF7 remake.
I really really liked it and finished it in one long breath. Looking forward to second part of remake and also to XVI, hope they make it less like single-player-MMO (FFXV) and more focused and story-oriented like FFVII remake.

Looks like they're just trying to rip off the witcher.

Don't like the look of it at all. Only the summons sparked any interest for me.

What a sad decline for the franchize. Everything past 12 has been pretty dire (and 12 was too much of an MMO slog)

Would love them to release a FF game that was actually like....an FF game!

So....really liked final fantasy 7 remake....but I have had trouble getting into them since 13....I'm not sure about this one.

I enjoyed the Nintendo and Snes games. Ff7 was a disappointment to me. Ff8 was a travesty and I gave up after 2 hours. Ff9 was decent. Ff10 felt hollow. I gave up after that and the reviews of the followups did nothing to convince me to try again.

So….really liked final fantasy 7 remake….but I have had trouble getting into them since 13….I'm not sure about this one.

I haven't liked a FF game since 12, but I loved FF 7 Remake. I don't know how much XVI will take from that, and how much it will take from XV, which I wasn't interested in at all. It's on my radar more than it would be if FF7 Remake didn't exist, that's for sure.

I haven't liked a FF game since 12, but I loved FF 7 Remake. I don't know how much XVI will take from that, and how much it will take from XV, which I wasn't interested in at all. It's on my radar more than it would be if FF7 Remake didn't exist, that's for sure.
According to Japanese interviews/previews the series is going full ARPG this time. Old times fans aren't happy again, but Square Enix doesn't care it'll still sell millions.

As for Creative Business Unit III here is some info on that division.

Link - https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...16-xvi-excite-final-fantasy-xiv-tactics-fans/
First of all, they point out the team behind Final Fantasy XVI: Creative Business Unit III. No, it’s not a catchy developer name at all. But it’s also the team responsible for Final Fantasy XIV, and yes, while that is an MMO, those who have played it agree it is arguably the best Final Fantasy narrative ever. This isn’t the Hajime Tabatas, Tetsuya Nomuras, or Yoshinori Kitases of the Square Enix world. Creative Business Unit III comes “from a very different lineage in general.” This is a different breed of Final Fantasy developer. Basically no one involved in Final Fantasy XIII or XV is making creative decisions on this project.

Heading up CBUIII is Naoki Yoshida, famed for turning Final Fantasy XIV around with A Realm Reborn and its continued expansions and support. It was that very feat that put in charge of this studio. Yoshida has specifically said he prefers that fantasy settings of Final Fantasy over the modern tech integration, evident in Final Fantasy XIV’s development. The Twitter thread explains, “He wants to go back to a time of sword and sorcery and summons the series used to be known for (Think FF3, 5, 6, 9, Tactics).”

Obviously very different from any previous FF game with the shift from party-based to a single character. Could be good though if it's open-world with some decent exploration.

Obviously very different from any previous FF game with the shift from party-based to a single character. Could be good though if it's open-world with some decent exploration.

Oh. I missed that. I'll try to keep an open mind but a FF without companions, I dunno. That takes out what is usually my favorite part.

Back
Top Bottom