Divinity 2 Addon: Flames of Vengeance - First impressions

I think I am just careful with my money..i like to make sure i'm not making a mistake in buying..i've had too many of those!
Thanks for your game impressions regarding respawning...most helpful.

I think I am just careful with my money..i like to make sure i'm not making a mistake in buying..i've had too many of those!
Thanks for your game impressions regarding respawning…most helpful.

NP. :)
It's your own decision and your own money.

The respawn is tied into part of the story; it makes sense as others have stated. You're so godawful powerful by then that it's not like you're gonna be struggling anyway.

Wow... people actually will refuse to touch a game over something as simple as some minor respawning?

No wonder the gaming industry is in the toilet. Get over yourselves. :(

It isn't minor, in my opinion.

Respawn is in my opinion a thing closely tied to action-RPGs.
And that's why a part of the players like it : They see in Divinity 2 nothing but action-RPG.
They don't see that Divinity 2 is more than that.

Story-RPGs don't need respawning. Yet, if the "wrong" group enters the realms of a "story-RPG", they might loudly demand respawn in "story-RPGs", too.
And thus they might become action-RPGs, too. Like hundreds more.

This is how I see it.

Sure nothing minor, it's something that often question me, why young kids would like repeat again and again the same thing? Is it auto education to see as fun a future repetitive job in case of future failed studies probably because of video games?

I don't remember have ever enjoyed repetition when I was young. Anyway it's clear failure of many JRPG, very repetitive fights coming (also) from an intensive respawn is a total fun killer.

Respawn could be used smartly with another purpose like design a fight where you have to manage your way through a constant spawning until you find how to stop it. In few action games it help setup combats where retreat was dangerous. But systematic spawning force multiplying repetitive fights and repetition is so boring.

1. There were not that many areas with respawn anyway.
2. You can stop the respawns if you do certain things.
3. Overall i really feel the focus of FOV has shifted from combat to exploration and dialogue a lot compared to the first game.

How stop the respawns? I'm interested because sooner or later I'll play it and I don't like respawn.

For D2:ED I feel you are exaggerating when you quote that it puts the focus on fights. At the opposite they often put the effort on adventure like not many RPG have done before, at least WRPG. I mean adventure from a large perspective, that includes little tricks and puzzles, almost platform gaming, NPC to provide some dialogs and questing elements, some events, and so on.

Also many places get their bit of fights and their bit of non fights. They didn't hesitate lower a bit the realism to achieve this goal. So often at almost the same place you'll find enemy NPC and friendly NPC to provide the both fights and non fights, and despite often you can wonder why they don't fight each other because they are rather close to each other.

The respawning of monsters was never really an issue for me. I mean, by the time anything has respawned they were really low level compared to me and I could one shot any of them or just run past without getting damaged. Also, dungeons don't respawn, as far as I can tell, just select groups in the world map. And it seems that most world map monster groups don't, or I did whatever quests were necessary to stop the respawning, because I barely see anything respawn.

This is really an overblown "problem" mostly shouted by morons who are looking for a reason to not play the game, rather than people who've played the game and got irritated by it.

Let's go back to what Alrik said about action RPGs being games respawning monsters and story-rpgs being games where monsters don't respawn. Baldur's Gate I and II have random encounters. Some are story related, others are not, instead being randomly determined. The classic gold box Story RPG with tactical combat Pool of Radiance had invisible random encounters of a limitless number in many areas. How is that different from respawning? Wizardry games feature random encounters, not a pre-determined amount. Did you just define all these games as action RPGs? Get real, these systems are not dependent on sub-genre, they're simply different approaches to game design. :p

Last edited:
!? I'm about 8 hours in or so and haven't seen a re-spawn yet. Though I just got into the Crow's Nest area.

There should be respawning in the Crow's Nest.

!? I'm about 8 hours in or so and haven't seen a re-spawn yet. Though I just got into the Crow's Nest area.

Before I went to the battle tower, the skeletons at the base of Lovis Tower respawned once for me. The goblins near the necromancers cave did a few times too.

I never thought too much of it. I still think people are crazy for complaining.

There should be respawning in the Crow's Nest.
Yeah, ran into that the hard way. I figured out a colored flame puzzle, got back out again, and got ambushed by critters I had already taken down some hours earlier! After the initial shock, I took them down pretty easily, though. Going up against critters two levels your junior is quite a bit easier than the ones two levels your senior. I probably could have just jumped & dodged out of there but... well... the first one to go drown dropped some loot. <drool>

Actually, that reminds me of something which I keep bouncing back and forth on - economy. I've almost never needed to sell anything. I sold some stuff early on in the game simply because I didn't have room to carry more. I also sold a little stuff early in Flames to buy some choice loot. But the vast majority of stuff just goes to the Battle Tower coffers where it does nothing but make my save game files a little larger. It really saps the joy out of those 2-choice rewards once it started to get obvious that the second reward would never get used or even sold. But then, I wouldn't be at all happy if I had to keep going back to my tower to sell off stuff, either.

If the vast majority of your best loot comes out in the field, like in this game, maybe it would be better not to have an economy at all. If you aren't going to give me something to buy, just skip the stores completely. I think I would be having a lot more fun with this loot if I could outfit my runners and maybe some soldiers with what I'm finding. I've already got enough to outfit a small army.

Back
Top Bottom