Battle Brothers - Battling the Barbarians

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Here's some gameplay of the upcoming Warriors of the North DLC:

Warriors of the North - Battling the Barbarians

With the Warriors of the North DLC the new Barbarians enter the field of battle. In this video we show a bloody fight against the barbarian roster and explain some of their units, weapons and skills!
More information.

Damn there goes another couple of hundred hours of game time.

Battle Brothers seems to have the same impact on the community as Skyrim. Either you have no idea why people are praising it & very quickly quit in a state of bemused confusion, or you dedicate your life to it like it's some kind of professional job.

Very few in between.

My view? I was one of those who quit very quickly. I don't have anything against the game, it's a game which does what it does & I can understand the appeal for people who just want to grind out combat for the sake of grinding out combat as a sort of comfort zone meditation in the same way Skyrim addicts just like walking about for walking about's sake. What makes me a bit annoyed though is the way people keep discussing it as if it's an RPG. Had it been correctly categorised and posted about in the non-RPG sections then I wouldn't have the sense of feeling ripped-off (aka: Mis-sold) polluting both my expectations and after taste…

It seems that streamers who were dedicated to BB have not yet answered the call of the DLC.

Damn there goes another couple of hundred hours of game time.

New content is so diluted two hundred hours spent on BB wont be enough.

Confirmed. So far, streamers have gone awol.
One weird thing is that crafting seems to be avoided by streamers.

Battle Brothers Interview - Turn Based Lovers
Battle Brothers is a strategic tactical RPG where we are at the head of a mercenary company that goes around the world accepting missions and facing often impossible battles. A unique style and an enhanced level of challenge are the elements that I personally appreciated the most.

Over the years, the Overhype Studios project has received many updates and new DLCs that have made it increasingly rich in content and new mechanics and at the new DLC Warriors of The North release, scheduled for May 9, 2019, we had a chat with Jan Taaks managing director at Overhype Studios.

A RPG can be whatever you make of it. I think Battle Brothers is more of a RPG than Witcher 3. W3 was an interactive movie for me. Doesn't make me right but it doesn't make me wrong either.

Well I personally love interactive movie RPGs as that's what I grew up playing. Mostly in part thanks to the the older BioWare RPGs like KotOR and Jade Empire.

Anyway the old what is an RPG debate never has a clear answer.

Everyone has a different answer and meaning.:)

Last edited:
A RPG can be whatever you make of it. I think Battle Brothers is more of a RPG than Witcher 3. W3 was an interactive movie for me. Doesn't make me right but it doesn't make me wrong either.

It does make you someone who uses exceptionally immature reasoning though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This isn't an insult. Well, I guess it could be construed that way. In the same way that if one is confronted with an exceptionally fat person and one says "hey, wow, you're fat" then that is an insult, but only because one didn't use the correct diplomatic language or didn't choose to not speak at all. If one didn't know the person & were likely to never see them ever again then, sure, one would probably keep silent, but if that person is going to be a continued acquaintance & that person was preaching to other people about the importance of excercise, diet and weightloss, then the topic of their fatness probably would arise.

So maybe there's a diplomatic way I could have phrased it better? How about:

It does make you someone who dodges the question by attacking something else instead.

Myself, I'd actually be interested to hear the actual details of why some people really want the game to be an RPG, as opposed to a roguelike or team-tactics game, because I've never actually heard that pitch before...

What did I attack? Here's an attack. Stop boring the shit out of me with your Psych. Minor. I like to write big walls of text because I'm so smart and awesome.

I don't want Battle Brothers to be anything. I just spend hundreds of hours playing it having a good time.

Here's my definition of what a RPG is. It's from the 70's and AD&D. Controlling a group of murdering hobos. The way David Trampier drew it back in the day.

Last edited:
Here's my definition of what a RPG is. It's from the 70's and AD&D. Controlling a group of murdering hobos. The way David Trampier drew it back in the day.

Uh-huh, so what does Battle Brothers have in common with that definition?

Character creation?
Independent character classes?
Magic users?
Dungeons?
Class-based restrictions?
Loot tables?
Enemy spawn tables?
A player character?
A tight-nit group of characters who all exist to help look after each other?
Extremely minimal human vs human encounters?
Magic?

The answer to all those is no, yes?

The reference to murder hoboes is certainly something, but could be applied to practically every genre that has combat at some point in the game. Pacman is quite the murder hobo if one counts ghosts as things that can be murdered.

That dude's art clearly shows people with legs, amognst more pertinent things, like wizards and dungeons.

What have you got against roguelikes and team-tactics games as genres? Why are you so ashamed to be associated with those genres?

Confirmed. So far, streamers have gone awol.
One weird thing is that crafting seems to be avoided by streamers.

Who cares?

Is there anyone other then you who rely on streamers to tell you if a game is good?

I find streamers are more geared towards the young and those seeking instant gratification.

So can anyone answer this:

Does this add to the main game map or is this a separate map you can play on?

Reading this forum led to think that those DLCs were free. They are not.

They are mere products content based products to put food on family.

Watching streamers showed that people had their ways.

Originally, BB had a curve that got players to engage, they had to be on , ahead, behind the curve and act accordingly.

Right now, that curve side was removed, players no longer have to care about the world which is turned infinite (previous world was finite)

They can fulfill their dreams of infinite consumption.
Before, when the curve existed, they had to take risks, they had to explore, they had to take contracts, they had to jump in to prevent the world from shrinking...

Right now, they must not care. Watched a streamer who spent a whole crisis doing one skull mission, not related to the crisis, except a three skull that was tied to the crisis. Crisis self solved.

Infinite support from the gameworld. Fights are packed with easy consumption, fights that are so imbalanced they should not be worthy to play and in other products would command an auto resolve button.

The way it works.

Who cares?

Is there anyone other then you who rely on streamers to tell you if a game is good?
No.
Streamers are needed to add other perspectives since perspectives from personal experience was not deemed enough by this site.

In addition, streamers are useful to determine if a product was meant to cater for their needs (even though products being posted on this site is already a sign they are made for streamers since people on this site are enamoured with products made for streamers=
I find streamers are more geared towards the young and those seeking instant gratification.
Non sense. Streamers work a business based on products designed for them. This draws a large offer.

Back
Top Bottom