Mass Effect - The Need for Strong Female Characters

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
IGN has a new 19 minute video in their Up at Noon series about Mass Effect and the need for strong female Characters.

FemShep -- Jennifer Hale -- swings by Up at Noon to talk about the franchise, and we make some Pokemon/Star Trek jokes.
More information.

Ugh, I couldn't even make it past that guy's intro.

True enough. Skip to 8 min in to avoid most of the junk. Not particularly enlightening as an interview but I can definitely see how her Memento-style memory helps her. She is the best at what she does for sure and will always have a place in my heart as Fall-from-Grace.

First time I have ever seen Jennifer Hale, after being a huge fan of her performances in video games. Great interview. More of her please!

She really does have a great voice. Almost makes me regret I never had the urge to be female Shepherd. My favorite female voice actor from games has always been Grey DeLisle of Viconia, Jeanette/Therese, Handmaiden(and etc) fame. She has a real talent for making evil seem sexy.

Just checked youtube for Grey DeLisle and this was top result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy4tValP2Tg

Sounds totally different using her normal voice. And she met her husband on twitter… how cool is that? :eek:

And to get back on topic, Jennifer Hale was Dynaheir to Grey DeLisle's Viconia in Baldur's Gate! I bet she doesn't remember that :)

I prefer the way that the Gothic games by Piranha Bytes handled female characters. It had a focus on realism, which ultimately improved immersion.

If a game portrays women as for example hardcore space marines I'm unlikely to purchase it, because it's an indicator that the game is likely to include other politically correct annoyances as well.

I also see a need for "weak" male characters that isn't just for comical relief. With weak I mean men who are vulnerable, have a full spectrum of emotions and deal with real problems.

One example is Ethan Mars from Heavy Rain.
400px-EthanMars2011.jpg

Another is James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2.
468px-Sh2_james.bmp.png

I have had enough of this:
http://borderhouseblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1237687236272.jpg

I see a need for strong coherent story with logical outcomes.
NOT corridor based levels with small 'talky' interruptions, wasting the opportunity of developing interesting characters.... like in OMEGA which was developed by Bioware Montreal.

I see a need for strong coherent story with logical outcomes. NOT corridor based levels with small 'talky' interruptions, wasting the opportunity of developing interesting characters…. like in OMEGA which was developed by Bioware Montreal.

That's pretty weird, Misha.

I also see a need for "weak" male characters that isn't just for comical relief. With weak I mean men who are vulnerable, have a full spectrum of emotions and deal with real problems.

Do you mean you "see a need" for completion's sake, or do you think it would genuinely enhance the gameplay experience?

Back
Top Bottom