Kingdom Come - Update# 17, Consoles

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Warhorse Studios talks about the console release of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and reveals the one million stretch goal. Here are the details.

Coming to Consoles!

This is going to be a brief but very important update. We originally announced our game for PC and next gen console. While we never doubted our technical ability to do it, we were not sure about the actual publishing and distribution. In the last console generation, it just wasn’t possible to have a game on console without an official publisher.

In this generation it’s going to be different though. We had lot of discussion with both Microsoft and Sony in the past weeks and we are happy to announce that the game concept of Kingdom Come: Deliverance was approved by both Sony and Microsoft for the next gen platform (PS4 and Xbox One).

Both companies are very eager to work with independent developers now and were really helpful in speeding up the whole process. We were provided with devkits and will get cracking on the console version right away.

And lets not forget the one million stretch goal.

About that stretch goal

It seems there is a possibility we will reach the magical 1 million threshold. This is great, but also tricky, because we need to announce a new stretch goal. It should be something special, something that wasn’t planned and something we really want to do.

At the same time, we still should be able to implement it within the limits of our budget that is, honestly, even with the great support from Kickstarter backers, still very tight, because our game is much more expensive than one million pounds.

We thought about it a lot and we all agreed that we would love to have dog in the game as a companion. Best friend who will follow you everywhere, help you in combat, warn you from danger when you sleep or go hunting with you. If we reach this goal, there will be dogs in the game and you will be able to own one. There will also most likely be dog related quests.
More information.

Eh. A dog companion?
If there's anything at all completely underwhelming about this project, it is the stretch goals.

Right, but I think the project itself is ambitious enough that they don't need any fancy stretch goals. And I like it better that they announce moderate complex stretch goals they won't later get problems with in implementation.

People constantly asking for "AWESOME STRETCH GOALS YEAH 111!!!11!" need to realize that this game already has most if its features and content designed (in design document) and only needs it implemented.
They cannot simply add "endless dungeon" or "5 playable races" or "second big city". Especially considering that this is AAA cryengine powered game, not a top down RPG.

The stretch goals they selected are great precisely because they are all practical, and will actually enhance the game.

Pfft. A dog?

I want a cat (and a little saddle for it to ride around on the horse with me).

I kid, and I cannot believe that a friggin dog is the MILLION pound stretch goal. Better be one hell of a dog.

Right, but I think the project itself is ambitious enough that they don't need any fancy stretch goals. And I like it better that they announce moderate complex stretch goals they won't later get problems with in implementation.

I agree with you, but I'd rather they'd just do away them completely, and simply use the added funds to make the base game better, and not add something as pointless as a dog companion.

People constantly asking for "AWESOME STRETCH GOALS YEAH 111!!!11!" need to realize that this game already has most if its features and content designed (in design document) and only needs it implemented.
They cannot simply add "endless dungeon" or "5 playable races" or "second big city". Especially considering that this is AAA cryengine powered game, not a top down RPG.

The stretch goals they selected are great precisely because they are all practical, and will actually enhance the game.

I am not sure in how far these stretch goals will enhance the game(play) though…
As I said above, I don't need stretch goals, I'd rather have them use the funds to make *sure* they make their (indeed very) ambitious game the best it can be.

I agree with you, but I'd rather they'd just do away them completely, and simply use the added funds to make the base game better, and not add something as pointless as a dog companion.
I agree, but perhaps they will make more money with these stretch goals than they actually need for their implementation. That would even improve the base game as they would have more money.
But if they actually make more money, of course is a question noone can answer, not even the Warhorse guys themselves.

And considering the dog… well, at first I indeed thought: "Meh, a dog. I don't like dogs. They're loud, stink and drool."
But on a second thought a well immplemented dog companion in this medieval setting may be great. Remember that there are no dragons or demons and therefore no veterans having already seen all kinds of scary monsters. So a big badass dog may indeed be something that for example may intimidate NPCs. Or it could distract opponents in battle, persue them and stuff.
Again, if it's done well, it might indeed improve the game.

Edit: OK, this is stolen from KS comments, but I really hope there won't be numerous companion-related "fetch XY"-quests. :D

Bahhh you guys are idiots. Dogs are awsome and I wish I could play a game where the main character is a dog :) What the hell is up with all the cat people on this site.

I am not sure in how far these stretch goals will enhance the game(play) though…
As I said above, I don't need stretch goals, I'd rather have them use the funds to make *sure* they make their (indeed very) ambitious game the best it can be.

Stretch goals exist to make people pledge more money. They need to be concrete to entice people. If they said "And for a million, we will polish the game even more!", imagine what the response would be then.

I agree, but perhaps they will make more money with these stretch goals than they actually need for their implementation. That would even improve the base game as they would have more money.

Yeah, but goals like motion capture or orchestra will be costly. Doubt they can spare much to improve the "base game". They will need all the money they can get.

Perhaps the dog will make up for this. ;)

Its very close to 1 million mark at the moment. So we're getting dog companion quite likely :)

Back
Top Bottom