Transistor - A Lesson in Style

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamemoir writer Jack Rooney has penned a new article for Transistor where he talks about why the game is a lesson for all other indie developers.

Transistor truly is a lesson in style to all other developers out there. Play through that game and tell me it didn’t feel personal, soulful, and stylish. I won’t believe you. Games like this need as much recognition as they can get so that other developers know that this is what many gamers are asking for. I can’t remember the last time an Assassin’s Creed game felt stylish, despite being well-polished and enjoyable. I can say with absolute certainty that Transistor is a title I will still think of years from now, the same way I think about Bastion, but I would be shocked if a AAA game comes out this year that I think about even a few months after its release. That is, unless it has style.
More information.

Highly stylized -- yes. Highly stylish -- subjective and up to a debate. I personally hated the style, story, and narration of Bastion as they felt too pretentious. I haven't tried Transistor yet, but because of Bastion I have my doubts.

Anyhow. I'm sure the game is not bad (the Bastion wasn't too dreadful either, though it was too arcade-y for my taste), but I disagree with that gushing article that every other game should look up to Bastion/Transistor. And just because he'll be "thinking of Transistor for years from now" for some weird reason, doesn't mean it's an immortal game. Bastion certainly wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom