DA:O [Mods]

Dragon Age: Origins

Acleacius

SasqWatch
Hey, can't check these but these are the first mods I have seen scouting around, no real dedicated site yet like Nexus, Filefront or ModDB. I will try to add any interesting mods I see, maybe others will add some mods here to give RPGWatch a Mod thread. ;)

Duncan armor
Ignore the author, graw3r's first post, he originally had/suggested changing Core game files and he fixed it on post six. Looks like it's for Human male only, atm.

Enchant Any Weapon Mod
JWD makes a mod to allow Enchanting of Staves and Bows.

No Follower Autolevel Mod v0.5
jwvanderbeck has a mod that prevents Followers from Auto Leveling when they join.

No Starting Abilities Mod
jwvanderbeck has another mod that allows the PC to spend all their starting points as they wish.

No Blood Mod
Reynen Starfyre offers a more kid friendly game.

No topless Morrigan mod ? :lol:

Auto-Pause

I am waiting for an auto-pause mod. Since I learned that somebody created one for NWN2 I hope this will happen for DA:O too.

In the IE games I use:
- enemy or trap spotted
- spell cast (this is the most important one for me)
- target destroyed
- weapon can't damage target
- character hurt

I will buy DA:O the day I can get this in a mod (or in a patch...).

No Blood Mod
Reynen Starfyre offers a more kid friendly game.

Wait, what? Slaughtering thousands of people and creatures (but without blood!) is kid friendly?

I'll try that no-follower-auto-level though.

Fixing the Dexterity Bug.

Dexterity Hotfix.

While not official, it's made by one of Bioware developpers, and corrects the infamous 'Dexterity Bug' (which kinda scr… dual-wielding rogues, among other things), a bug that the current patch still hasn't corrected. Basically, the dexterity stat doesn't really add to the damage value of daggers, as it should, hence this fix.

Interestingly, it also adjusts the ranged weapons damages and ranges. Making them slightly more powerful… both for the player's party and for enemies.

At first I didn't like it that much, but I found that it makes the game much more intersting. Those little genlock archers aren't so dismissible anymore.

I find I hit the pause button every 5 secs in any case, so…
For me the auto-pause is most useful for mages: I want to define the next spell exactly at the moment, when the last one was cast.

If you hit pause manually, you might either accdentally override the last spell (if it wasn't yet cast) or you might have lost some time (if the last spell was cast some time ago) or the mage might have decided his next move on his own (depending on the tactics, I assume).

So the (often heard) counter-argument that you can hit pause manually doesn't really apply, it cannot provide exact timing.

For fighters auto pause is not that important, may be.

@ bkreuger: I actually disabled tactics for my mages, because they would waste a spell on another target than I had wanted them to use it for, and then I would sit with the spell in the cooldown phase, frustrated that I cannot use it who I wanted to use it on.
That is one of the reasons then, why I prefer to manually pause.

Btw, the game does auto-pause (if you set it on) in any case, but one just cannot set it to the settings you had specified in your post.

@ bkreuger: I actually disabled tactics for my mages, because they would waste a spell on another target than I had wanted them to use it for, and then I would sit with the spell in the cooldown phase, frustrated that I cannot use it who I wanted to use it on.
That is one of the reasons then, why I prefer to manually pause.

I would surely also disable tactics. However, this still doesn't solve the problem, that you can't make sure that the mage cast his next spell exactly in the moment, when he is able to- If you pausemanually it will be either a liitle bit too early or a little bit too late for that, or is there some mechanics to allow exact timing?

I just checked the auto-pause mod for NWN2 and it does in fact not allow options like "pause when spell cast". It simply pauses after a constant time, which is not really more useful than manual pause.

Yes, this pausing would be similar, but, manually pausing does in fact not interrupt attacks or spells. It's like taking a snapshot at that moment: everything just freezes in mid-air, and you can see what is going on via the icons next to the character portrait.

For instance, if your mage is still busy casting a "freeze" spell, a little snowball appears next to her portrait. You can then simply unpause and wait for the spell to cast, and pause again a second or so later, to set a new spell.

You can also issue orders (sadly not stacked, but one each per party member) to the different characters mid-pause, without it having any influence on what the other combatants are doing.

Yes, this pausing would be similar, but, manually pausing does in fact not interrupt attacks or spells. It's like taking a snapshot at that moment: everything just freezes in mid-air, and you can see what is going on via the icons next to the character portrait.

For instance, if your mage is still busy casting a "freeze" spell, a little snowball appears next to her portrait. You can then simply unpause and wait for the spell to cast, and pause again a second or so later, to set a new spell.

You can also issue orders (sadly not stacked, but one each per party member) to the different characters mid-pause, without it having any influence on what the other combatants are doing.
Stacking would sort of solve the problem...a pity if even that isn't possible.

Stacking is possible. If you choose a new spell a few moments before one is cast, then the new one will be cast as soon as the last one is finished. It will not be changed as long as the casting has begun.

I am waiting for an auto-pause mod. Since I learned that somebody created one for NWN2 I hope this will happen for DA:O too.

In the IE games I use:
- enemy or trap spotted
- spell cast (this is the most important one for me)
- target destroyed
- weapon can't damage target
- character hurt

Pause when target destroyed is the one whose absence is felt the most by me. I always had that option checked in BG2 & IWD games. In those critical battles where I manually control everything, I don't like to waste any moment having my folks sitting idle. Since the computer knows when someone is dead before I can see it visually, pausing on this action lets me efficiently assign my guys to a new target/task.

On the other hand, I've really gotten used to tactics and now my team is really clicking together on their automatic orders. (P.S. I am using a mod that unlocks all 25 tactics slots on each character. Get it from this thread: http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=705543&forum=135 ).

Unlock all 25 tactic slots on every character:

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=705543&forum=135

Absolutely essential and NOT CHEATING, imho. I think it is common sense that your characters know how to use their skills and react to the battle around them. You should be able to focus on playing your own character and only have to manually control each step in certain, key battles.

Last edited:
Corwin, you mean in the first post? If so, I was logged in and some forums path differently when logged in. Here is the directory structure, if you meant first post, second link.
Home / Gaming / RPG / Traditional / Dragon Age: Origins / Mods / Gameplay / Enchantment

Back
Top Bottom