XCOM: Enemy Within - Expansion Announced

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Firaxis announces XCOM: Enemy Within it's an expansion for XCOM: Enemy Unknown. The game will be released on November 12 in North America, and November 15 in Europe.

NEW YORK - Aug. 21, 2013: 2K and Firaxis Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Within, the expanded experience of the Game of the Year* award-winning strategy title XCOM: Enemy Unknown, will be available in North America on November 12, 2013 and internationally on November 15, 2013 for Windows PC, Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Mac® (distributed by Feral Interactive).

XCOM: Enemy Within, the expanded experience of the award-winning strategy title XCOM: Enemy Unknown, will be available in North America on November 12, 2013 and internationally on November 15, 2013 for PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and Mac.

XCOM: Enemy Within takes the incredible experience from XCOM: Enemy Unknown and adds an array of new abilities, upgrades, and weapons to combat new enemy threats. The expansion also provides players with all-new maps, tactical and strategic gameplay, and multiplayer content. There is no better way to experience XCOM than with the massive amount of new content added in XCOM: Enemy Within. Fans will experience an additional three to four playthroughs on average before encountering all of the new material included in XCOM: Enemy Within, providing nearly limitless replayability.

“The incredible critical and consumer response to XCOM: Enemy Unknown inspired us to offer new content that would deepen the strong bond that has been created for our XCOM brand,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Firaxis Games is renowned for delivering massive, highly immersive PC expansions in the Civilization series, and XCOM: Enemy Within builds on that lineage and expands the experience for console gamers as well.”

“We promised gamers that we would deliver the same Enemy Unknown experience on both PC and console last fall, and we’re doing it again with Enemy Within,” said Ananda Gupta, lead designer at Firaxis Games. “The Commander Edition of XCOM: Enemy Within expands the already amazing XCOM experience for our console fans who are looking forward to even more of the game they love. It’s also a great point of entry for new fans just joining the XCOM fight.”

XCOM: Enemy Within vastly improves upon the experience of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with an incredible amount of new content. On PC** and Mac**, XCOM: Enemy Within features additional content that can be enjoyed with previously purchased copies of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. XCOM: Enemy Within will also be available on Xbox 360 and PS3™ system as the XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition** - a standalone pack that expands the XCOM: Enemy Unknown experience featuring the new XCOM: Enemy Within content and the add-on content that was previously released for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including the Elite Soldier Pack and Slingshot Content Pack.
Here is the trailer to go with it.

More information.

There's no new campaign?! What? And they aren't even reworking the horrible last mission? This is just content that should be have been in the base game...why should I pay $30 just so I don't have to see maps repeat constantly? I guess I just expected more...like, you know, what expansions used to be.

I guess I just expected more…like, you know, what expansions used to be.

Well modern DLC has almost put a rest to that.:biggrin: At least the game has added content though I don't know how much.

One of my biggest problems with XCOM:EU is that the flow and "story" are so linear and repetitive. Hopefully they're mixing that up some. The gameplay itself is pretty good.

XCOM: Enemy Within takes the incredible experience from XCOM: Enemy Unknown and adds an array of new abilities, upgrades, and weapons to combat new enemy threats. The expansion also provides players with all-new maps, tactical and strategic gameplay, and multiplayer content.

I'm confused as to what this is exactly. It sounds like it's just a re-release of the original game with added features. I'm not sure how they can refer to this as an "expansion".

I'm not playing through the same linear campaign again. And I'm sure as hell won't pay 30 bucks for it. Loved the game, but I didn't find a lot of replayability there, and this just adds some more stuff for the same campaign(and not that much either)

I had a feeling it would be an expansion.

I don't like what I'm hearing about adding only 50% more maps - because the original had a severe lack of variety there.

They don't seem to have expanded the maps either - and I fear it will retain the silly enemy pop-up mechanic.

They should have implemented random maps and made them bigger for the PC version, at least.

That said, I liked the game well enough to warrant purchasing this expansion.

But the original was better in almost every way - except for the cool Soldier talent trees.

What a horrendous news release, one of the worst I've seen. Their PR should be ashamed.

Haven't finished the game yet but I'm not sure it would be worth it to wait for this at $30.

I'll have to see exactly what the extra content provides.

Here's hoping that within my lifetime games companies will cease to arbitrarily delay game releases for Europe, Australia and everywhere else outside North America.

I'm confused as to what this is exactly. It sounds like it's just a re-release of the original game with added features. I'm not sure how they can refer to this as an "expansion".

I agree! I'm really glad we all seem to be of the same mind on this one. This is a glorified map pack or a XCOM:EU 2.0. This is a "director's cut" type product, so I say a BIG shame on 2K Games for continuing to mislead and milk customers.

The problem is I can think of numerous proper expansions that do much more than "add diversity". Think Shivering Isles, Undead Nightmare, the Dawn of War ones, and so on.

Anyway, such a pity…

A short gameplay demonstration of roughly 8 ? minutes is shown on the Games Com.

I was able to watch it, because so late (10 minutes before closing) only a few people lined up for that.

I didn't play the full game, so I can't comment much on it. The most "striking" (pun intended) feature are ... what are these things called ß I call them "power suits", these proto-mech like suits people wear.

The enemies ... have a similar thing, too.

But most striking (no pun indended) was to me the look of one particiular "shootist"-like alien enemy : To me, it looked like an Lawyer ... ;)

It's more like expansions pack to Civilization, in which they add a lot of stuff to the base game. Hell, the last thing this game needs are stand-alone questlines or scenarios like the slingshot DLC. I much prefer this approach in which they beef up the base game. And while the endgame might be the same, I'm pretty sure there will be a questline for the expansion mixed up in the main game.

It's more like expansions pack to Civilization, in which they add a lot of stuff to the base game. Hell, the last thing this game needs are stand-alone questlines...

Except the Civ expansions also include multiple scenarios that provide 50+ hours to complete. So not only do Civ expansions include major gameplay additions, but they feature entirely new separate "story" scenarios. Civ IV Warlords and Beyond the Sword and Civ V's two expansions both feature numerous scenarios and quite critical new gameplay elements that vastly change how you play.

This pack adds a few little things but the gameplay is 90% the same. And ironically, they've stated that they are adding some one-off missions just like Slingshot DLC. So the worst of all worlds really. Cash grab bad.

I recently saw a Civ pack (with scenarios ?) called "Brave New World".

Uh-oh - did they mean the famous book by Aldous Huxley ???

Back
Top Bottom