Owlcat Starfinder?

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Let's throw a bit of rumour ;)

That's the tweet Owlcat Games just posted:

image.png

As a reminder, end of July 2020, someone had spotted a job offer in Russian on Twitter, that roughly translates to "Owlcat Games (creators of Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous) are looking for Lead / Senior 3d Environment Artist for a new unannounced project (turn-based CRPG in a sci-fi setting) - a leading 3d environment artist," which has led to some speculation since Starfinder is the other Paizo's product, the sci-fi counterpart to Pathfinder.

This looks like a confirmation of what's cooking next, hopefully they'll elaborate soon.

If that's true, I find it quite exciting. Even though the Pathfinder lore and setting is very interesting and I wouldn't mind a 3rd game there, this change would be refreshing. On the other hand, that may not please everyone, and there is the concern that it could imply a lot of extra development due to the new setting.

The prospect of a game that would be designed as turn-based from the ground up is probably what's most exciting about this prospect for me.

Me and a few people I know would be up for a well done Starfinder game, definitely.

Pff…posted this rumor already last year. Glad to see some more news at least.

Anyway back then I claimed it would be Starfinder due to the rule-set being close to Pathfinder, and that's it's another IP owned by paizo. They are also pleased with OwlCat.

The fact it's turn-cased doesn't bother me either as I love Sc-Fi RPGs.

Last edited:
Nice find I wonder why they officially haven't announced anything yet? Maybe Wrath of the Righteous took longer to finish then they thought? Well we'll see as the saying goes.

That Pathfinder theory does make sense as there is an area in the setting called Numeria were a spaceship crashed. It has warlords, barbarians, and advanced tech.

Uh oh. But it's quite an old picture, like the job ad someone found long ago. Whatever they were for, this must have been something else.

We should try and make them talk :p

I've been trying but they are tight-lipped!

Starfinder is the theory I thought holds the most merit. After the epicness of Wrath with its mythic levels I'd guess every other adventure path would feel like a downgrade, but I don't know anything of the tabletop other than a few snippets I picked up along the way. Starfinder would mean a change of pace.

Other than that, Rise of the Runelords (target level 17) and Return of the Runelords (target level 20) seemed to be fairly popular adventure paths for Pathfinder.

Starfinder is the theory I thought holds the most merit. After the epicness of Wrath with its mythic levels I'd guess every other adventure path would feel like a downgrade, but I don't know anything of the tabletop other than a few snippets I picked up along the way. Starfinder would mean a change of pace.

Other than that, Rise of the Runelords (target level 17) and Return of the Runelords (target level 20) seemed to be fairly popular adventure paths for Pathfinder.

I would love to see this too, although I know that Purple and others would rather see another fantasy setting.

Wrath of the Righteous was epic, but I don't believe it should eclipse any further attempt to make Pathfinder AP-based games. It had one major issue, or at least that's what I feel from the gameplay and from others' comments: it's an epic crusade vs evil. This puts a lot of pressure on the style of gameplay, and it's not easy to play evil, or to play casual even if some mythic paths are fun-oriented. I love it but it doesn't please everyone (but then, it never does).

So I believe there's room for another fantasy AP with a completely different atmosphere, I'm confident Owlcat can make it as great as WotR and improve it even further.

They have to release the DLCs first anyway, we'll see. :)

Damnit, now the picture also seem to be gone!

Ah well. I have a feeling their next game indeed would be Starfinder. Bummer for me but lets see if they can convince me over eventually ;)

Damnit, now the picture also seem to be gone!

Ah well. I have a feeling their next game indeed would be Starfinder. Bummer for me but lets see if they can convince me over eventually ;)
Before Mass Effect I couldn't imagine to like RPGs in a SciFi setting. It taught me otherwise.

I mean if they do a Starfinder game with the same focus on story, companions, character customization etc. it could still be a game for you?

However I'd also like another Pathfinder game with traditional fantasy better. Perhaps it'll be in Numeria after all.

Also I'm already mixing up Starfield and Star Citizen. I can't handle a Starfinder now. ;)

Before Mass Effect I couldn't imagine to like RPGs in a SciFi setting. It taught me otherwise.

I mean if they do a Starfinder game with the same focus on story, companions, character customization etc. it could still be a game for you?

However I'd also like another Pathfinder game with traditional fantasy better. Perhaps it'll be in Numeria after all.

I also liked Mass Effect (the only sci fi setting game I liked so far) so it is possible that I might end up liking a Starfinder game from Owlcats.

In saying that tho, I know I'd still prefer traditional fantasy setting more :X

I just like Tolkien like outfits more than spacesuits lol

Back
Top Bottom