Arx Fatalis - French Collector's Edition

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Of minor direct interest because it will only be available in France (at first, anyway) but Arkane has announced a special Collector's Edition of Arx Fatalis to celebrate it's fifth anniversary:
Arx Fatalis Collector Edition
Elektrogames and Arkane Studios proudly present ARX FATALIS – COLLECTOR EDITION.
To celebrate the fifth anniversary of the game, the new version of this worldwide acclaimed Action-RPG will provide the following new features:
- An updated version of the game, compatible with the latest hardware configurations
- The Arx Fatalis « making-of »
- The Strategy Guide
- The Art Of Arx Fatalis
Don’t miss this incredible edition on the 20th of October (in France only in the beginning).
More information.

Great claustrophobic experience! Why no one makes dungeon crawlers like this anymore? :'(

This is the part that interest me.
"- An updated version of the game, compatible with the latest hardware configurations"
Wonder if they activated the Console finally, even though I really like AF, it was such a huge drawback not to be able to get yourself unstuck in bad situations or to get around bugs.

Is it my imgination or does It seem EU or Eastern game devs often leave the console functions out, imo, this makes it far worst if their games get shipped out early and buggy?

Is it my imgination or does It seem EU or Eastern game devs often leave the console functions out, imo, this makes it far worst if their games get shipped out early and buggy?

Probably because consoles are not mandatory in a 3D engine. ;)
The 3D engine of Arx was developed solely for the game ( and from the ground up) . I'm not sure, but maybe there's no console in the "Arx engine" :
When I visited Arkane, back in 2001, Raf' (Raphael Colantonio ) showed me a small gameplay session. I remember a bug : the hero's helmet were passing in front of the camera. And when I asked about the FOV, Raf' changed it with function keys !

That said, it would have been cooler if they would ship this collector edition with the level editor ( or better : with a SDK, or even better : with the sources ! ).
Back when Arx was released, they couldn't afford to distribute the level editor because it was developed by another dev. company ( Etranges Libellules ).

lanael
Probably because consoles are not mandatory in a 3D engine.
Interesting, seems it would make trouble shooting extremely difficult, I can't recall ever seeing an engine released before without a console or at least Dev Keys as you mention.

I think your suggestions are very good as well, how neat would that be if they released an Editor or Source, talk about stirring up some interest in your game, that would certainly do it. :)

According to Arkane's Raf Colantonio (by way of the taffers at TTLG):

Fix list V1.18 (also available in a free patch to be released soon):

- Fixed D3D texture creation that triggered white textured objects /
Characters on recent hardware configurations.
- Fixed a crash on TNL Bump Mapping management.
- Fixed several memory leaks.
- Fixed the text font not being displayed on recent hardware configurations.
- Fixed a specific crash on spells use.
- Tweaked the Fireball spell damage rule, to make it less powerful & more
balanced.
- Fixed a bug where the game would quit if the ESC key was pressed during
the New Game fade to black.

Art book:
A few exclusive stuff that were never shown before.

A walkthrough is provided with it.

a video making of

US availability:
still working on it. Unsure.

Well crumbs and bother. Where's the love for the good ol' USofA?

At least there will be a new patch.

Back
Top Bottom