Daggerdale - Trailer @ IGN

I have the feeling that game will kill all future DnD games...

It look like a really low budget horror movies. You know, the one that are more fun to laugh at then watch.

I have the feeling that game will kill all future DnD games…

It look like a really low budget horror movies. You know, the one that are more fun to laugh at then watch.

I just don't understand it. Atari has a golden opportunity in the D&D license, so why aren't they spending the time and resources to develope an epic 40+ hour party based D&D game? SO many fans are waiting for the next Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale type of game...

It's simply baffling that Atari would want to even attempt to make an "accessible" action-RPG out of Dn'D. There is absolutely no market for a watered down Dn'D experience; the only fans of Dn'D want the complexity that is central to the system. Also, the license has proven to be successful even in the modern era (2006, Neverwinter Nights 2), so long as a competent developer is given a proper budget to make it graphically appealing and such. NWN 2 was a financial success, correct? I would even consider NWN2 to be a mediocre game, but it seems like it still sold quite well, and part of the reason for that was the implementation of the Dn'D system with all of its inherent complexity.

I just don't understand it. Atari has a golden opportunity in the D&D license, so why aren't they spending the time and resources to develope an epic 40+ hour party based D&D game? SO many fans are waiting for the next Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale type of game…

They're doing Neverwinter, hoping to appeal to that crowd (and more). By making it online only they pretty much wrote me off though.

The mainstream crowd has NO CLUE about D&D, there not going to bite at Daggerdale . Pluse the graphics arent top notch, another reason they wont notice.

Well lets not forget it is also atari doing this....

Beyond the pair of OGL'sih ones to come(Incursion and KotC 2), I continue to lose faith in the notion of a proper mainline D&D game being realized given ATARI's baffling track record.

At this point, I feel it the "safer" bet to reckon that eventually, via some other Eastern or Western developer, that perhaps a proper Pathfinder RPG stands a chance at seeing the light of day.

It's simply baffling that Atari would want to even attempt to make an "accessible" action-RPG out of Dn'D. There is absolutely no market for a watered down Dn'D experience; the only fans of Dn'D want the complexity that is central to the system. Also, the license has proven to be successful even in the modern era (2006, Neverwinter Nights 2), so long as a competent developer is given a proper budget to make it graphically appealing and such. NWN 2 was a financial success, correct? I would even consider NWN2 to be a mediocre game, but it seems like it still sold quite well, and part of the reason for that was the implementation of the Dn'D system with all of its inherent complexity.

Yeah, I don't get it either. First they publish NWN2 and two Addons. And then they do a whole lot of nothing until announcing two DnD lite games (and one of those is sadly online focused if I'm not mistaken).

I was getting ready to say you were exaggerating - but… It does look pretty shitty doesn't it.

This is actually an old trailer, nothing new really. And I think I saw the game on Amazon.com pre-orderable for $15… I'm not sure why they're even bothering with this game honestly - it looks very half-assed. Maybe they bought out some indie developer's project to make a quick buck???

And that Neverwinter Online "OMG" (as they call it) is being devloped by Cryptic, so I sorta lost interest on day one.

Yep its all about the money. Love and care aint important it seems.

Like my theory of "games" becoming rather "wares" aka "tools for maximize profits"

I never really thought of it that way. Are we a dying breed?

Probably - in the eyes of suits which look at th whole world as a potential market.

Plus, small target groups aren't enough for them anymore - which I think is a result of vastly increased development costs combined by Corporate Greed (CG).

Like my theory of "games" becoming rather "wares" aka "tools for maximize profits"

Much simpler to say that the Gaming industry have turned into the Music Industry.

But when you spend $30 000 000 to make something, you do want your money back (that's EA average cost to make a AAA game).

Much simpler to say that the Gaming industry have turned into the Music Industry.

It's not only that.

We had a food scandal here in German a few months ago (in January ?) - most people came to believe that the "food industry" is now the same.

Back
Top Bottom