Omega Syndrome - Download the Demo

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
Somehow this little gem has flown under our Radar for far too long. Think the original Fallout with Spiderweb level graphics and you'd be close. There's a FREE Demo available for a quick download and with the paucity of Turn Based RPG's on the market, this one is well worth the effort.
Thanks Narpet.
More information.

I think the graphics are comparable or better than the FO's, minus the computer character animation heads. The new version is nice, adding in comic style cut scenes. I liked the old version, but the new version is fantastic.

Amusingly enough, it's just been patched to update NPC follower interaction a bit.

That said, it's definitely better than Spiderweb's animations. Roughly Baldur's Gate level, I'd say. Not as "rich canvas"-ie as Fallout or PS:T.

The demo is a bit off-putting. Basically a combat slugfest. The game gets better, tho'

I think the word SLUG was aptly used!! :)

I actually posted this on an Indie Roundup back in the day but I guess we've been remiss adding it as a full database entry.

I've seen him post from time to time at RPG Codex or NMA but I wish some of these indies would send out a little more PR, such as these code updates, just to keep their name in front of people.

Well, in David's case I get the impression Omega Syndrome was more of a test run. He got the SPECIAL p&p system up and running, modified it, made a 2D world with a combination of free sprites and his own sprites, and put a game together. Then he kept upgrading it to perfect the engine and game.

So kind of a practice run. It took him longer to make the engine than the game itself, so expect more of a direct, finished product from the next one he's doing (he's been talking about doing another game for a while now, he's started on it, expect to hear from it at some point in the near future)

Yes, the word FREE is famous for attracting more attention than any other word except SEX!! :biggrin:

I gave the demo a try, and it's pretty coolio. A lot like fallout character creation-wise, I love the setting, and I like the Ironman option (apparently, in earlier builds it was the only way to go). Fighting the slug worm things got a little old, thoough, and it didn't seem like there was much of a way around them.

That's about all there appears to be in the demo. Apparently it gets better later!!

Anyone who played this can say how long the game is? its 30 dollars canadian and if its all like the slug level, I cannot bring myself to spend it.

It's not all like the first part... there is much more. I've not completed the game, but I am having fun and I do consider it worth the money I paid for it. Not a perfect game by any measure... but a lot more fun than many big-name games.

It's been updated again, this time include an interesting optional rule that allows you to gain 0 HP every time you level up. Challenging mode of play

At my age, I don't need that sort of challenge!! :)

Back
Top Bottom