UFO: Extraterrestrials - Review @ GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The first of the big reviews is in for UFO: ET and it isn't pretty, with GameSpot handing down a score of only 5.2/10 and saying the game is only for "desperate diehards":
Nobody has yet recreated the magic of MicroProse's X-COM, but it hasn't been for want of trying. It seems like every six months or so, someone has been releasing a fresh take on this early 90s strategy masterwork about shooting down flying saucers and sending soldiers to hunt down the survivors, and each attempt has only sent disappointed diehards back to the original. UFO: Extraterrestrials adds another chapter to that unhappy saga. This effort by development studio Chaos Concept is dissatisfying both as a rip-off of a legend and as a game in its own right because of odd design decisions, bugs, and bottom-drawer graphics and sound. The best that can be said about the game is that its sci-fi atmosphere and smart artificial intelligence make it a somewhat acceptable way for the desperate to whittle away a couple of dozen hours waiting for someone to finally do a proper remake of X-COM.http://au.gamespot.com/pages/gamesp...=6170517&part=rss&tag=gs_reviews&subj=6170517
More information.

Well, perhaps in my book they tried to recreate the game to my liking. Hm, the things included is what i have been sought after.

The deal with the aliens seeing further then you. Me recently replayed XCOM (the original) and - the fact is that the aliens even there saw further then you. Perhaps they should? Who on earth says that we have equal eyesight. They are freaking aliens! :)

And, yes, there is limited amount of maps. According to the official site. There is 255 of them. And yes, they aren't random, but i really didn't know about that limit.

And slow paced. Ofcourse. They are faithfully trying to recreate XCOM. And yes, some people don't like some aspects of it. But this part they got really well i think.

I love the way they are modelling the personal stuff, and really. My men can't die? Well, then make sure they don't get hurt. I dare you. And, if you know how to play well...

Too bad that UFO got so bad rep from that site. But it wasn't a SEGA game involving Ninjas so. Who really thought differently.

Every point they have against UFO was something that i think is in favour of the same game. My taste is different.

The only point we concurr, me and the reviewer. is at the graphic level. The animation could have been smoother.

- and i also love POR2 - have I mentioned that! :)

Man, that score seems real harsh.

I've checked out the official forums and most people claim that this iteration of the X-Com series is the most faithful to the original. Major complaints are directed at certain game design choices and minor bugs. The graphics don't really seem to be a sore point.

Maybe the Gamespot reviewers are just graphic whores :p

Last edited:
Well, I have to admit that the graphics are the main factor that keeps me from buying this title. I wouldn't care if the graphics were not up to date or old-fashioned, but I think they are just damn ugly... can't help it. Heck, imo X-Com looks better... but I guess that's a personal taste thing.

I'm waiting for the physical version, but this review seems overly harsh based on what I've heard. Many of the supposed problems are very consistent with the original XCom, just as mute points out. You can't revere the original and then complain when a new game does the same thing.

I'm a little curious how the undying soldiers thing will play out, though.

Wow, now that review seems over the top. If the graphics were improved, he would have awarded the game a perfect score?

Guess it's a love-it-or-hate-it type of game...

sounds are fine. the music gets repetitive. its got good atmosphere though..the idea of air raid sirens. one person in a thread complained that women have the same voice as men. the problem with that comment is there is one thing said, "Argh!" when you are dying. I guess none of these guys are married to anyone that can use a microphone as I'm sure they know how to use a "if" statement to check gender.

I'm a little curious how the undying soldiers thing will play out, though.

Soldiers do die if the mission fails completely. It can take up to 50 ingame days to recover a dead marine from a successful mission (almost as bad as being completely dead I think).

The undying thing is nothing i think about. When i get hit ingame and my men get knocked out for the reminder of the mission, i have problem on two plans.

1) I usually only take the amount of men required. It means four or five people.

2) If one man gets down and i have alot of injured it will take time healing, which means that i have to rethinkini and re-prioritize missions coming in.

It also means that the missions are *alot* more intense then the once from XCOM, since then you could really use people as cannonfodder, altough you did have some special ones you cared for, you could rush through a mission, but here i use cover fire religously. And also, medkit play a big role reducing your men times in the hospital.

I think the undying plays out well, cause, there isn't really any problem with it! :)

Back
Top Bottom