Chaos Chronicles - Sound Design #2: Attentive Music

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In the second part of the sound design article of Chaos Chronciles they talk about how music can influence a game.
You know, the first real cRPGs had their focus not on the graphics. Graphics weren’t as good as these days of course. That wasn’t possible due to the hardware-limitations. People had to use the music, they had to use sound effects to create atmosphere. Nowadays you use some super hyper graphics, put in some epic music and think “well, that’s atmosphere!”. And in this case you couldn’t be more wrong.
Music is a very subliminal way to manipulate the mood of the player. Especially in videogames it can affect the mood in so many ways. And that’s why we not only have a look at the graphics but also on the music (and on the sound effects, as you already know). We’ve given and we will give a lot of attention to the creation of the music for Chaos Chronicles.
Currently we are working on the different combat themes. You’re eyes aren’t foolin’ you: To achieve a deep atmosphere here we decided to not only have one, but several themes. We had the feeling that the players feeling should differ if he (or she) is fighting against different types of opponents. So we made the decision to go for unique themes for each type of enemy
More information.

This is HUGE! I've been waiting so long for this kind of musical treatment. Finally they get it! I can't wait to see the final results.

I can't wait to see the final results.
To "hear", damn it! ;-)

However I can tell you that the Sound Designer is doing a great job. Once you'll come into a canalization and notice the different footstep-sounds... amazing. He definitely is a audio-nerd in so many ways. But that's a positive attitude actually.

This upcoming RPG has win written all over it.For me its up there with Wasteland2 and Project Eternity.:biggrin:

This popped up on the radar last week, and it has peeked my interest big time. I hope they can deliver all they say.

This is totally at the top of my list, each news item is just better and better, I hope it'll not be a disappointment. I just hope the story and setting will match up to the rest!

I still remember Diablo I sound design.
From the amazing town and dungeon songs to the dialogues and inventory sounds, I fondly recall it all.
What an amazing feeling was the simple act of dropping loot and those sounds when money or books were dropped. It was so impressive many games after it just copied those sounds.
That's what I feel many games lack nowadays and I can see chaos chronicles is trying to recapture the vibe.
It gets better and better =D

[geek out] Sort of like the Klingons. Since Star Trek the Motion Picture they have had their own music. [/geek out]

I still remember Diablo I sound design.
From the amazing town and dungeon songs to the dialogues and inventory sounds, I fondly recall it all.
What an amazing feeling was the simple act of dropping loot and those sounds when money or books were dropped. It was so impressive many games after it just copied those sounds.
That's what I feel many games lack nowadays and I can see chaos chronicles is trying to recapture the vibe.
It gets better and better =D

althought it's not fair to compare yet because of the lack of development time, I'm looking forward to Chaos more than Project Infinity. Finally, a game thats a straight forward, dare I say "old school" RPG thats doing everything right. All I really want is a modern Baldurs Gate/ Temple of Elemental Evil, D&D type of game!

I only wish Chaos went with a six character party, rather than five…

althought it's not fair to compare yet because of the lack of development time, I'm looking forward to Chaos more than Project Infinity. Finally, a game thats a straight forward, dare I say "old school" RPG thats doing everything right. All I really want is a modern Baldurs Gate/ Temple of Elemental Evil, D&D type of game!

I only wish Chaos went with a six character party, rather than five…

Amen to that!

Back
Top Bottom