Demon's Souls - Play it on a PC

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamewatcher reports that with a PS3-emulator Demon's Souls can now be played on a PC:

Demon's Souls is playable on PC for the first time

Thanks to the work of this emulation team Demon's Souls, the PS3-only precursor to Dark Souls, can now be played on PC for the first time. You can see the results above, which is captured on a PC running a i7-6700 @ 4.0 ghz.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Keeps this plaque of awful button mashers away from RPGs!

Interesting. I wasn't even aware a PS3 emulator existed. I wonder how accurate it is.

*Edit* Ah ok.. they say the audio is quite buggy and it's prone to crashes.

I hope one day it gets the proper PC port that it deserves. Smaller in scale than dark souls with tightly designed gears, weapons, armor and crafting. Combat is almost identical to Dark Souls. Bosses are not that difficult but getting to them is challenging, and bonefires are far in between.

I completed it on PS3 and enjoyed it more than Dark Souls (which I completed 3 times!).

I have been hoping for a remaster release for this game for years. It is great.
Getting the emulator set up to play this sounds daunting but I might have to give it a try.

I have borrowed ps3 from my colleague, and bought this game together with the last of us. So i enjoyed both games, but the last of us remained in my memory much longer, great story. As for the Demon's Souls, i think Dark Souls is better game. Maybe it is because i begun with the latter..Anyway, it has archaic concepts for today's gaming

This was the final game I played on my playstation before it became a glorified dvd player. It was fun, but not a game I'd ever replay, on console or computer to be honest. It just wasn't that awesome.

Keeps this plaque of awful button mashers away from RPGs!

If you button mash whilst playing a Souls game, you're just going to get yourself killed. Period. Thus, one probably shouldn't characterise Demons Souls with such a negative and incorrect generality.

Given that I don't have a PS3, yet have several PS3 games on my shelf thanks to a friend who loaned me his console a few years ago, this is actually an interesting topic, thanks for the heads-up HiddenX/Farflame.

One of the games that I haven't played is Dragon's Dogma; so I'll keep an eye on this and hopefully the bugs/issues are gradually ironed out.

The fact that an emulator of the PS3 Cell hardware has come this far is very impressive. Having achieved this much, hopefully they'll be able to get it to the polished standard of something like Dolphin.

LOL you do realize that all of the souls gamed are very simple button mashers, right? That is all the depth there is to the games.

LOL you do realize that all of the souls gamed are very simple button mashers, right? That is all the depth there is to the games.

They're action-oriented, but they're definitely not just simple button mashers. It's obvious that you've never actually played them.

LOL you do realise you're a very simple button masher, right? That's all the depth there is to your skill.

Simple, absolutely yes, not button mashers though. But simple grinders.
The system is QTE2.0 - you have to time keypresses, only you don't see silly prompts what to "mash" but you need to watch trashmob moves. Oops. Mushroompresses. Or mushroommoves. Whatever.
You can't put a blindfold, click randomly and win - it's not like playing rightclick2win Akali in LoL.

I must disagree about the concept of "mashing" buttons for the Souls series. As stated by Pessimeister, repeatedly pressing buttons often meant I wouldn't make progress. The concept of the game is designed around observing enemy movements and reacting to them accordingly, as your character takes time perform an action and recover from it. Very different from, say, Devil May Cry or anything of that sort.

Simple, absolutely yes, not button mashers though. But simple grinders.
I know I've said this to you before, but grinding is an option if its too hard to progress further… Some people win without ever leveling up - let alone GRIND to level up. They're called onebros! I have won DS1 and 2 onebro styles, but not attempted 3 yet. Kinda over Dark Souls, to be honest. I'm ready for Fromsoftwares next game! I'm not even gonna bother trying this Demon Souls emulation, even though I've searched for it in the past.
The system is QTE2.0 - you have to time keypresses, only you don't see silly prompts what to "mash" but you need to watch trashmob moves. Oops. Mushroompresses. Or mushroommoves. Whatever.
What on earth are you talking about? Mushrooms, or… What?

I think they call them "telegraphed" moves. Sort of how real swordplay would function? You see them move and react. Beats Morrowind with its missed point blank melee swings from tohit chance.
You can't put a blindfold, click randomly and win - it's not like playing rightclick2win Akali in LoL.
You can win from buttonmashing just because its so unexpected. Example:

I wonder who would win PvP between this 3 year old and ramses01 :p

I know I've said this to you before, but grinding is an option if its too hard to progress further… Some people win without ever leveling up - let alone GRIND to level up. They're called onebros!
These people should have been called replaying the same shitgame for 100th time.

Everyone grinds in their first playthrough. It's not an option, it's a necessity. You just think it's an option in the first playthrough, it is not.
And that's the very reason why I'll keep calling that trash genre grinders.

Some call those games dodgers, but to be honest, it's still possible to make another same genre entry without dodging while keeping the same grindbased design.

Back
Top Bottom