Windows 10 Creators Update

Lucky Day

Daywatch
Discovering I was in bad need of an update in Windows 10 I pull the trigger then waited 4.5 hours for it to finish. I then waited another 1.5 hours for it to finish restarting.

The results are this

• Removed the Control Panel from the start link to try to get users to use settings more (I got Control Panel back from This Computer and pinned it to my taskbar)
  • I am hearing they removed a few links from the control panel too
  • Added some People link to my taskebar
  • Added a ton of bloatware
  • Pops up a Windows Defender shield in my system tray that yells at me I've turned the Windows (Defender) Firewall off even after telling Windows to not give me notifications of it. So now, I've had to removed the shield from notifications, even though it could be a useful feature.
  • A ton of broken links on mini-metro appeared for applications I removed a year ago.
  • Oh, it also adds a night light display which turns off blue light at 9pm. Default is off ;)

how to uninstall the bloat
https://errorfixer.co/uninstall-bloatware-apps-windows-10-creators-update/

I normally am not a big fan of updates but some of this tends to happen with any update from them and I just remove the unwanted links and adjust things, not a big deal.

This was actually a very welcome patch by many folks as it included the fix to the 4GB Dx9 memory limit that was imposed with win10. That limit has been removed with this patch.

Been using it at home and at work since it came out without any real issues beyond the expected. Have had more issues with some of the more recent patches they did that broke VPN at work.

As for bloatware and the like that seems to be an ongoing tradition with windows for the most part.

Windows has changed into something quite different since Windows 7, which was a fine OS. When you are assigned an "advertising ID" during installation, you have a clue what you are dealing with. In the words of Lord Vadar:

C7OqN56V0AAPKci.jpg

• Removed the Control Panel from the start link to try to get users to use settings more (I got Control Panel back from This Computer and pinned it to my taskbar)
  • I am hearing they removed a few links from the control panel too

It is really annoying how they just keep doing stupid crap like this again and again. I mean why can't they just let me have my control panel. So annoying that I have to take extra steps to get a very basic function of my windows back.

Last edited:
About advertising - I can't remember seeing any advertisements in Windows 10. Not saying they aren't there. If so: where can I find them? Don't remember the advertising ID either, which maybe says more about me. Then again, I don''t log on using my online MS account either.

As for the Control Panel - didn't disappear for me, probably because I use Start10 from Stardock, which give me more control.

pibbur who is either very MS friendly, or approaching dementia, but admits it's annoying when they remove or hide nice things from software.

I'm more and more seriously planning to switch over to an different OS ... Maybe even console from the start.

Apart from that - companies collect data about us - when do we begin collecting data about them ?

While I occasionally feel the urge to become a full time linux user, I'm afraid I have to remain as a grumpy windows user. Microsoft office is just what I need daily basis due to my work related reasons. Alternatives such as Libre office aren't really a serious option. Furthermore games are still very much windows releases, so no point switching to alternative OS.

Depending on your taste in games, you'll find that many of the popular indie RPGs run happily on Linux, without the need for the console. My approach is that I use my (quite old) Thinkpad as my main PC, running linux. It connects up to my monitor and keyboard with a docking station.

Then I have a desktop PC beside it, which is purely for gaming, and I don't browse or have anything personal on that one. The most MS could learn about me from that PC is my games library, and I don't care too much about that. To me, that Windows PC is just sort of my glorified console, and the old laptop is more than adequate for everyday personal work on linux. MS Office runs fine in WINE, when needed.

EDIT: I'm not quite ready to recommend jumping to linux for everyone, as it still has some problems that could frustrate new users, but it's evolving rapidly, and I don't think it will be too long before it's a good option for many people.

Most simple games will run fine under wine but heavy gpu game (aaa) require a native port or windows. Unfortunately there are quite a few such as witcher 3 and kingdom kome as well as d:eek:s-2.

For Internet use, Linux might be okay. The old windows system must then not be allowed to get access to the internet, then ...

For Internet use, Linux might be okay. The old windows system must then not be allowed to get access to the internet, then …

I'd say that apart from games, and some professional-level software that is Windows only, Linux can serve most people's daily computing needs very nicely. I've set up some elderly relatives with Linux PCs, and they have very few problems. They also don't end up with weird spyware apps all over the place, and dodgy search bars in their browser.

My Windows gaming PC I do allow to access the internet for Steam, GoG, etc. I just don't keep any personal files on there, and don't use it for browsing or email. As I said, if MS wants to spy on my games library, I don't care too much about that.

EDIT: The other thing I like about the two system setup is that I'm always tinkering around with the gaming system, and rebuild it from time to time when it gets messy. Then I keep the Linux system clean and simple, and it just works.

Last edited:
Yeah, they've been saying Linux is evolving rapidly and will soon be user friendly enough for non-engineers to use since I installed it along side OS/2 Warp on my first IBM clone. I'll stay skeptical on that one.

I've been pushing off the fall Creator's Update, myself. Normally I dive into these things but this one causes problems with 3D Vision if you've got a monitor that goes over 120Hz. Currently, if I switch on 3D Vision the monitor turns off G-Sync and sits at 120Hz automatically (which is the fastest 3D Vision can go). That breaks with the Windows 10 update. No idea if NVIDIA was using something to do that they shouldn't have been using, or if Microsoft broke something, or even if there's some sort of monitor driver that needs to get updated but I'm pushing the update away for as long as I can in hopes that somebody will figure it out.

Yeah, they've been saying Linux is evolving rapidly and will soon be user friendly enough for non-engineers to use since I installed it along side OS/2 Warp on my first IBM clone. I'll stay skeptical on that one.

Fair enough, but I'd say that since your first IBM clone Linux probably has evolved quite rapidly, and is easy enough for non-engineers to use, as evidenced by all the non-engineers using it.

There are? I sure haven't seen any.

(Though I must say it was very fun designing my own screen resolution. When I was done, I felt like I had just constructed my own light saber and was now a true Jedi!)

That's not very surprising, as the desktop linux market is still less than 2% - but that's still millions of people, including large companies, government departments, etc. Gendbuntu is one example.

With regard to display issues, I had far more pain dicking around with custom timings in Rivatuner, trying to get a Windows PC to output to my first HDTV, than I've ever had with Linux.

I'm really rooting that Linux or some other alternative operating system arrives with a version that is very user friendly and adopted by a high percentage of people, and so games and drivers and all that are no longer a problem...so sick of Microsoft's crap. I don't want to move to Apple because they do shenanigans too, and they are so expensive and not nearly as game friendly as Windows.

I was looking at Linux Mint and Ubuntu on youtube and they do seem to making some good progress, but obviously not there yet. They also said that Linux Mint is the version most closely resembling Windows, at least so far.

...I've been pushing off the fall Creator's Update, myself. Normally I dive into these things but this one causes problems with 3D Vision if you've got a monitor that goes over 120Hz. Currently, if I switch on 3D Vision the monitor turns off G-Sync and sits at 120Hz automatically (which is the fastest 3D Vision can go). That breaks with the Windows 10 update. No idea if NVIDIA was using something to do that they shouldn't have been using, or if Microsoft broke something, or even if there's some sort of monitor driver that needs to get updated but I'm pushing the update away for as long as I can in hopes that somebody will figure it out.

I don't have this problem (but I see that many have it). Monitor (24" Benq)supports 144Hz, but I run it in 120Hz. No G-sync. Two gtx980's in SLI-mode, graphics driver is 390.65.

For the record, in case the problem depends on what game you play, I use 3dvison only for LOTRO, currently not playing any other game supporting 3dvison.

pibbur who doesn't know if this helps. And who wouldn't risk updating if he knew this.

For Internet use, Linux might be okay.
No.
Buy some cheap android tablet with outdated resolution (768p). With some luck you'll pay for one mere 50€.

Back
Top Bottom