The TV Series discussion thread

I notice that season 2 of Altered Carbon is due to drop today. Has anyone heard anything about it yet? I found season 1 a mixed bag, but I enjoyed it overall having never read the book.

The first season is something I wouldn't recommend even to my worst enemy. So bad.
The second season apparently is a new story with new cast and characters. Won't be watching unless someone who hated the first season like me says the second one is good.

I notice that season 2 of Altered Carbon is due to drop today. Has anyone heard anything about it yet? I found season 1 a mixed bag, but I enjoyed it overall having never read the book.

I've heard its animated as it wouldn't make sense to the books to have the same actors. I think its a different time period in the future. Haven't read the books. First one was over the top - its like Netflix wants to be HBO.

Better Call Saul is back and extremely worth watching. For me, this show is eclipsing Breaking Bad in quality and sheer enjoyment.

I'm really concerned

how is Gene going to fix it himself

I'm a guy who watched Saul before Breaking Bad. I really, really enjoy Saul but it drags on at times. A five season prequel is unnecessary - it could have been done in four or less. I wanted to see it end and have them continue with Gene.

After watching BB, BCS suffers from what all prequels do in fundamentally changing the story and characters like Mike. That one of Mike's first encounters with Jimmy, he calls him "Saul". I feel like Mike would never deign to ever call Jimmy "Saul" except sarcastically. And since both characters are new at that point in BB their motivations are wildly different from what they became.

Mike is a psychopath at that point who threatened to bury Saul. Saul spends the rest of the series afraid of Mike for his life. Mike stops being a psychopath after that and Saul's downward spiral makes less sense knowing Jimmy's moodiness and his history. The man dealt with being the cause of his brother's death and got over it.

Also, with their history with each other they know each other quite well at that point. Again, this is the kind of problems with prequels.

I just found out that the line in BB, "did Lalo send you?" Lalo is the character added to BCS. LOL.

I'm expecting great things from Lalo. We've only barely heard the name in the past, now we're seeing the man, the myth, perhaps the legend!

As for Gene....I find it hard to believe that he'd risk everything by taking it into his own hands, but who knows. I'm quite curious to see just how he resolves the situation, I'm expecting something clever.

Looking forward to it. The tv show cleared up a couple of confusing parts in the book for me. (Never quite got the murder hotel in the book).

OTOH, the second book is vastly different than the first book. The first book is basically a detective story whereas the second book is a war story. And I'm pretty sure the protagonist has a different body in the second book. But it might be the third book, they kinda blurred with time.

The one thing these type of shows/movies/books have never satisfied for me regarding the mind lives forever regardless of what new body it is placed in. . . does the mind really live forever or is it just a copy that moves on thinking it is the original? So you die but your copy which proceeds with the next moment and holds all the memories thinks it is the original. So you don't really live forever, just the idea that is you carries on.

They kinda broach the subject in the Altered Carbon book, but not really. Probably the best answer to the question was in an Outer Limits episode where these futuristic dinosaur scientists invented a teleporter. The problem however was that in the end it was revealed it really wasn't a teleporter just a copier. And when the copy was completed on the other end, the original was destroyed. Our protagonist saw the whole deal and of course she had to die in the end. I guess the writers felt the dinosaurs needed some karma against humans because of the extinction meteor?

You're overthinking it.
According to the first season of series your mind is stored in a nonorganic gadget = it's not alive per itself.
The gadget can be placed in any body where the gadget uses that body = in that case the mind+body is alive.
Bodies don't live forever. Minds were turned into parasytes forever.

Oddly for the show, bodies used are from other people as if cloning technology doesn't exist. In the end it doesn't matter, season 1 tried to point on decadence in a society that would possess such technology where people's mind can be preserved and it failed miserably. The show is a horrible scifi and pos.

Dunno nothing about dinosaurs. There is a Star Trek book, forgot the title, where characters discuss teleporter and raise a question - when it practically kills then resurrects a person somewhere else, what about the soul? Assuming the soul exists in the first place, how does it know where's new body or once teleported a person loses the soul?

They do grow bodies in the TV show. There are storage spaces the rich and famous have and use to store their bodies that are all identical. They don't re-use bodies from others. That is something for the less rich.

True I forgot there are exceptions to the rule in the show.

But that changes nothing really - the show assumes any mind can go into any body as if everyone's brain is the same which in reality can't be so (dyslexia in one language, not in another to name just one). Then there is rhythm or pitch sense which is not "mind" based, but the mind reacts to it - if and when it can. What about already known issue with person's tastes. Upon transplatation of an organ one can suddenly adore food they never liked before (but the donor did). The show also completely ignores cases where a child remembers their previous life (which are most probably not actual incarnations but collective consciousness at work). Etc etc, I could go on and on why the show is an utter pos.

Back in the day people thought earth is flat. Some still do. But Pratchett made a fantasy comedy from myths. Not sci fi based on… Nothing?
Even with that nothing and the base idea it could go brainstorming Plato vs Aristotle state. Or reasons to have children at all. Or evolutionary traits that appear and disapper as result of mutations now stopped or maybe fastened due to tech.
But it didn't.

Someone said to someone else in this thread that they are overthinking it :)

Good point but not really, no. I'm just trying to explain why it sux. It's first season to be precise. Dunno what the second season is about.

Shht. I liked season 1 of altered carbon well enough. Let me enjoy season 2.

Season 1 started a bit shaky, but I liked where and how it ended the last few episodes. As far as I understand season 2 will be a separate story though. Just the setting is a huge plus for me.

Sometimes, I have such a limited imagination.

I mean, after watching Star Trek Discovery - I couldn't perceive a sci-fi show that was less Trek and less good.

Then came Star Trek Picard…..

Wow.

Anyway, I've been digging The Outsider quite a bit. It's really quite intriguing.

Last edited:
Yup, best thing I can say about any Star Trek since the Enterprise show is, avoid them at all cost. They are simply beyond horrid. And that's being kind.

Speak for yourselves. Picard is awsome and it's main score almost precisely fits into Voyger intro. Won't upload it on yt though so try to combine yourself.

I conceive the next Star Trek series should be a complete wipeout of the Alpha Quadrant by the Borg (thanks Capt. Janeway!) and the survivors have to make their escape to the Beta quadrant and have the Prophets close the wormhole behind them.

The new Enterprise will be a carrier loaded with Runabouts and (Delta) Flyers and the center of a renegade Flotilla trying to hide in the Beta quadrant, dealing with Changelings and other locals (and themselves) while trying to regroup in an effort to give it back to the Borg.

Someone needs to accidentally run over Kurtzman with a truck - and we might stand a chance of decent Trek.

But, nah, it's all over.

I mean, Patrick Stewart wanted this show - and that tells us all we need to know about his understanding of Trek and his character.

As in, it's zero.

Trek was always about a brighter future and a better version of ourselves.

I conceive the next Star Trek series should be a complete wipeout of the Alpha Quadrant by the Borg (thanks Capt. Janeway!) and the survivors have to make their escape to the Beta quadrant and have the Prophets close the wormhole behind them.

The new Enterprise will be a carrier loaded with Runabouts and (Delta) Flyers and the center of a renegade Flotilla trying to hide in the Beta quadrant, dealing with Changelings and other locals (and themselves) while trying to regroup in an effort to give it back to the Borg.
The first thing can't happen because species 8742 after one lost fight didn't go suddenly dormant till the end of the universe(s).

There is no more than one delta flyer and because of the stuff revealed through Picard show, it's nearly impossible to see another ever again.
I mean, Patrick Stewart wanted this show - and that tells us all we need to know about his understanding of Trek and his character.
Patrick Stewart of old said: "where in our contract says we're here to have fun?".
The new Patrick Stewart knows better.

Not precise quote is in this video, can't find the vid where Marina Sirtis corrects it into the one I wrote:

My understanding is the Picard show is in a conveniently alternate universe

My concept would have involved Species 8742 with the events involving the My Favorite Martian guy being a catalyst for what happened and what was happening next.

Also the Harogin or however they're spelt. Concept would probably end up something like Babylon 5 with all the separate species in the Flotilla causing problem and what not - not that I've seen more than 1 episode of that.

Back
Top Bottom