Borderlands - Review @ Games On Net

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Games On Net has a two-reviewer format for their critique of Borderlands, with both scoring a modest 3.5/5 (although one says 4.5/5 on the X360). Here's part of the criticism:
So far as the underlying mechanics go, I have two main criticisms. The first is something I mentioned to you while were playing: the fact that pretty much every upgrade in all character classes is some form of stat increase. Along with the thrill of finding rare loot discussed above, a big part of what makes games like Diablo and WoW so satisfyingly addictive is the wide selection of powers available for each class. When you hit level 20 as a Necromancer in Diablo II, you get to summon a fire golem. When you hit level 20 in Borderlands, you get to make one of your guns fire a bit faster. Gee. Awesome.

This leads to my second criticism: most of the skills are just flat out dull. Again, take Lilith as an example: there is so much Gearbox could've done with her Phasewalking ability - teleportation, enemy possession etc. - but as it is, it's just utterly unexciting. And broken too! Let's not forget that.
More information.

The guy doesn't understand the difference between fantasy and sci-fi.

I agree with those criticisms. Nice to see someone point them out.

Guenthar, the point is not that they didn't include fantasy-based skills, but that they the skill upgrades are dull and unimaginative. The examples they use are just to illustrate what an interesting skill upgrade might be. Instead, here we get 3% greater bullet damage, 5% reduced recoil, etc. I normally enjoy upgrading my character, but it's pretty much a yawner in Borderlands.

Well, it's almost completely a gun-focused game, so it makes a certain amount of sense. The upgrades are useful. They are not imaginative, though. It's hard not to see the wasted potential.

Back
Top Bottom