Baldur's Gate 3 - Hotfix #1

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Someone said we need more Baldur's Gate news threads - here's one :)

Hotfix #1 - The Journey Begins!

Hello everyone,

We are so thrilled with how many of you are playing Baldur's Gate 3, and we're glad Steam was eventually able to accommodate you all. Our servers are keeping up, but just about! We never imagined such a huge influx of players in what we had envisioned being a relatively modest party of Early Access players. But we're up to the challenge, and we've been listening!

We're still working on the multiplayer issues that some of you are experiencing (and we're very close to solving several of them), but Hotfix 1 already fixes a number of issues and covers other things you reported.

As a general message, if you're having difficulty getting the game running, or are experiencing crashes, switch the game to DX11 mode (in the launcher, click the gear), and make sure you have the most up to date graphics drivers.

We also recommend in some cases disabling the Steam / Discord overlays, if you experience slowdowns while activated.

Patch Notes BG3 Hotfix #1 (version BG3 EA 4.1.83.3931)

• Fixed a crash related to using rush-type actions
  • Fixed a crash related to the target camera
  • Fixed a crash in character creation
  • Fixed a crash during dialogs
  • Fixed overlapping items inside the inventory views
  • Fixed "Pickup" and "Pickup And Add To Wares" inside containers
  • Fixed a player assignment issue when someone would leave from a full multiplayer party. The leftover character can now be assigned correctly.
  • Fixed an issue with summons showing up as regular companions
  • Fixed an issue where players could not ready up when other players joined the lobby
  • Fixed being able to move immovable objects

More information.

Last edited:
No you need a mega thread instead of multiple news-bits.:p

I debated a new thread for Hotfix 2 but guess I will add it here ;)

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your continued support. Playing the game, as well as your reports, is already helping to shape and improve it. We’ll share more information about this in an upcoming community update alongside our first patch, but for now we’ve fixed some of the most common issues reported to us.

Hotfix 2 solves the most frequent crashes and multiplayer issues, but we’re still working on a number of other reported errors in multiplayer. The good news is that the majority of issues reported to us are known, and a large percentage of those already have a fix in the works. Generally, for remaining multiplayer issues, reloading the game and loading the next available save will get you back up and running. Thank you to all who provide us the detail we need to get these fixes out into the wild.

We still recommend launching the game in DX11 mode if you’re experiencing crashes or framerate issues. However, those of you who were experiencing issues streaming with OBS while using the Vulkan API should find this fixed. (You may wish to re-install OBS).

Issues with 2FA (two-factor authentication) on Larian Accounts have been resolved, as well as your ability to create the optional Larian Account. Not to throw shade at anyone, but let’s just say some servers had some catching up to do.

On cross-save: we had previously announced that cross-save, though we have the infrastructure for it, will only be enabled and functioning once all our versions are in sync (across Steam, Mac, GOG, and Stadia). We don’t have an ETA for this yet.

We’ve been updating the support FAQ with the most relevant and up to date solutions or workarounds for reported issues. The FAQ is here: https://larian.com/support/baldur-s-gate-3

If you’re vehemently against save-scumming, do not read the following message. *whispers*: we suggest quicksaving frequently, as we add more autosave points in the game, and to prevent lost time if you experience a problem. All you need to do is hit F5. If you’re streaming, just create an overlay that hides when you save. Or pretend you cough. Nobody will notice, really.

Graphical quirks on Nvidia 3080 cards have also been fixed. Fun story: because the card was so wildly popular, we couldn’t source any to test with prior to launch. We still don’t have one. At this point, we’re pretty sure you guys made up the RTX 3080. Prove it exists by sending one to us.

We should be back soon with a bigger update and patch. In that update, we’ll go deeper into launch, and share with you some insights. Until then!

Patch Notes BG3 Hotfix #2 (version BG3 EA 4.1.83.5246)

Fixed multiplayer combat connectivity issues
Fixed a crash at the end of Early Access content while playing multiplayer
Fixed a crash when talking to Halsin in multiplayer
Fixed a crash when returning to main menu from a dialog
Fixed a crash when arriving in main menu related to corrupted savegames
Fixed a startup crash related to integrated graphics

"Graphical quirks on Nvidia 3080 cards have also been fixed. Fun story: because the card was so wildly popular, we couldn’t source any to test with prior to launch. We still don’t have one. At this point, we’re pretty sure you guys made up the RTX 3080. Prove it exists by sending one to us."

Lol, these guys are amazing.

Still not possible to launch the game, no reaction from Larian to a 6-page thread.

It's fine for me to participate to an EA and give feedback, do tests - as long as there is something positive for me in return, such as the ability to give feedback and being heard, a reduce price since I won't get the same pleasure from playing it. But in this occurrence there is neither, I haven't seen a reaction from them once in the forums, so it's hard to tell whether they have read about something or not, if that's a known issue or not.

Hard to go on in those conditions. If only there was a bugtracker, even in read-only, but no. They used to be responsive, but it seems success had finally got the better (or the worse) of them.

Still not possible to launch the game, no reaction from Larian to a 6-page thread.

It's fine for me to participate to an EA and give feedback, do tests - as long as there is something positive for me in return, such as the ability to give feedback and being heard, a reduce price since I won't get the same pleasure from playing it. But in this occurrence there is neither, I haven't seen a reaction from them once in the forums, so it's hard to tell whether they have read about something or not, if that's a known issue or not.

Hard to go on in those conditions. If only there was a bugtracker, even in read-only, but no. They used to be responsive, but it seems success had finally got the better (or the worse) of them.

I’d say already having 2 hot fixes is being pretty responsive. I’d rather they be spending time fixing stuff than spending time responding to every thread on thier forums.

It does suck that you can’t get it to run but that’s not totally unexpected with an EA game and you always have the option of getting a refund and waiting until launch. ( assuming you bought it on steam.)

I’ve unfortunately been too busy to give it a try but hopefully should have time today.

I’d say already having 2 hot fixes is being pretty responsive. I’d rather they be spending time fixing stuff than spending time responding to every thread on thier forums.

It does suck that you can’t get it to run but that’s not totally unexpected with an EA game and you always have the option of getting a refund and waiting until launch. ( assuming you bought it on steam.)

I’ve unfortunately been too busy to give it a try but hopefully should have time today.
This is not about my problem, and I think I wrote it's fine to deal with the state of early access (despite the full price...). It's about how they manage user's reporting.

The point is, if they don't give any feedback to what people are reporting, it's not very encouraging. It just doesn't seem worth taking the time to write the report, host images and add them (because their forum doesn't host images...), if that's just to realize it's ignored, or to see others report the same in other threads.

An EA or beta test needs organizing, I've already played this role in the past, and it can quickly get out of hand if it's left to chaos like it is now. And people sorting out the reports are not the same as those fixing bugs, so if they don't mark the different threads as reported, that's probably more work for one of their colleagues who'll go through them again. Wasted effort is a pity.

This is not about my problem, and I think I wrote it's fine to deal with the state of early access (despite the full price…). It's about how they manage user's reporting.

The point is, if they don't give any feedback to what people are reporting, it's not very encouraging. It just doesn't seem worth taking the time to write the report, host images and add them (because their forum doesn't host images…), if that's just to realize it's ignored, or to see others report the same in other threads.

An EA or beta test needs organizing, I've already played this role in the past, and it can quickly get out of hand if it's left to chaos like it is now. And people sorting out the reports are not the same as those fixing bugs, so if they don't mark the different threads as reported, that's probably more work for one of their colleagues who'll go through them again. Wasted effort is a pity.

Just because they don't respond doesn't mean they don't see it. The people doing the bug fixing would never be the ones responding anyway, so why do you care? Those people are working on fixing the bugs. Responding to people would in itself be a full time job. Submit bug reports because you want the game to be better, not because you want recognition. Simple at that.

Just because they don't respond doesn't mean they don't see it. The people doing the bug fixing would never be the ones responding anyway, so why do you care? Those people are working on fixing the bugs. Responding to people would in itself be a full time job. Submit bug reports because you want the game to be better, not because you want recognition. Simple at that.

I think you haven't read my post correctly.

I think you haven't read my post correctly.

How so? You want feedback, so you'll feel "encouraged". Why? The game improving is the encouragement you'll receive, not a forum pat on the back. Monitoring posts and replying to them takes time, time not devoted to doing the actual work of fixing bugs. Again, you have no reason to think that not replying to posts on a forum means those posts are being ignored. It's been three days since the game entered EA and there have been two hotfixes. You act like people have been posting the same problems for 6 months and nothing has changed.

This is not about my problem, and I think I wrote it's fine to deal with the state of early access (despite the full price…). It's about how they manage user's reporting.

The point is, if they don't give any feedback to what people are reporting, it's not very encouraging. It just doesn't seem worth taking the time to write the report, host images and add them (because their forum doesn't host images…), if that's just to realize it's ignored, or to see others report the same in other threads.

My point was releasing hot fixes and patches is feedback that they are fixing bugs. Not posting that they reported the bug is different than not reporting the bugs.

Just because they don’t post “ hey, RedGlyph we got your bug report and are working on it doesn’t mean they aren’t working on it.

I’d say be a bit patient . It’s EA and it’s only been a few days. Of course it’s your prerogative to not be patient if you wish.

Again, not what I said, I know they are working on it, all the more so because I've been there. I'll clarify, because not everyone has been in that process on both sides, and I think you interpret my posts like many people's complaints on how buggy EA is. I don't know if you saw a couple of words that made you jump to that conclusion, but it's not the case.

So how does it work? There are the users, the support, and the developers.

1) The users report problems in the forums, sometimes they do a search but it's not always easy. And when they do and see a similar report, they check whether it's been reported by the support or not.

2) The support scans the forums for new problems, reports them into a bug tracking system (if you are not familiar, search that term and you'll see examples). Ideally they tag the reported threads so that
- users know it's reported and they don't have to create another thread for it
- other members of the support know it's reported and they don't have to spend time checking the bug tracker and possibly report it.
(tag: some move the thread to a "known issue" sub-forum, most tag the title with "[reported]", you get the idea)

3) Developers check the bug tracking, prioritize and develop or fix.

From experience, that's how it's organized in pretty much any production-oriented company. Some have a QA department, and "users" are in the company until the product is released, typically in medical or otherwise regulated domains. Some use potential customers, in early / beta releases, typically S/W companies.

If, as it is the case here, the support gives zero feedback to the users - and to themselves, actually, it's getting inefficient. Users will sometimes see an older report of a problem, and think "it's not been seen by the devs, I'll report it again". Same for the support team.

For the users who take the time to help and report, while it's frankly not their job, it's also helpful to see what's known and what's not. That's the least the support can do and it takes 5 seconds to tag a thread, far less than what they have to do to check the bug tracker.

Ultimately, the end product will benefit or suffer from this, depending on how it's managed. Also, seeing a lot of people not able to even start the game, and nothing to guide them so they can send the proper logs to deter the problem, is wrong. That's why I care, not because I want "my bugs" to be fixed first, or because I'm looking for recognition (really? Where did you pick that up? I certainly hate to spend time on something if nobody is using it, but that has nothing to do with recognition, I assure you, I just don't like wasting time).

I hope you better see where I was coming from with those comments :)

Yeah see it's Larian and based off Original Sin and Original Sin 2 chances are Baldur's Gate 3 will have ton of bugs and patches. Heck the DLC will even have bugs.:p

How could games like these not have bug is a better question in my mind. Software these days is mind mindbogglingly complicated. It seems almost impossible for any large product to be bug free, let alone games like an RPG with so many features, options, and paths. Having done programming I find even the simplest stuff can have bugs creep in let along stuff on the scale and scope of big games like these.

This is all guessing but I feel modern games almost need to have some level of open testing by players to help track down bugs. There are so many configurations for systems .. I suppose that is a plus on the console side - they seem far more consistent then dealing with a PC. And the more systems the game can be played on just seems to add to it.

I am 15 hours into BG3 now. One crash when I tried to delete a profile that I hadn't fully switched out of at the menu. Some dialogue cut scenes are missing lip movement for the characters - partially or completely. One mob I killed last night had its robe distorted halfway across the screen - as if its mesh or physics got messed upon dying. Later a gnoll died and went into a major seizure - flopping and twisting around like crazy for about 20 seconds before finally stopping in a twisted knot. Some of the map markers show up very oddly for some quests.

Those have been the major issues I have seen so far.

Performance on my beast of a machine has been mixed. I was playing on Vulcan but couldn't take screenshots while in Vulcan so I switched to DX11 which lets me take shots.

I find after a bit of play there is a very light stuttering going on. A bit of slow down with the camera and stutters so sometimes it is hard to rotate - as often I over-shoot the rotation due to the stutter. Haven't figured out what might be causing that. Going to experiment a bit with settings and DX11 vs. Vulcan.

If anyone knows how to do a screenshot on Vulcan please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom