Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Review @ Game Rant

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Rant checked out Baldur's Gate 3:

Baldur's Gate 3 (Early Access) Review

Baldur's Gate 3 may be in early access, but there's plenty to be excited about even in the first iteration of this DnD-based RPG sequel.

After twenty years, the sequel that Baldur's Gate fans have been waiting for has finally launched, if only in its partial early access version. Baldur's Gate 3 is ready for players, and the game deserves the huge numbers that it has already drawn in. The question of whether fans should "buy" it, however, depends entirely on how many glitches they can tolerate.

The Dungeons & Dragons-based game isn't complete. Only about the first 20 hours of Baldur's Gate 3 are available to play, leaving a good chunk of it a mystery still, and those 20 hours are riddled with bugs and other issues. However, those 20 hours will also leave players wanting more, packed with fun, intriguing, and promising content that stands to blow away both new fans and old when complete.

[...]
More information.

So anyone want to take a guess on how many articles and videos we will be posted from now till the game is complete, and out of Early Access? I'll say a thousand.:lol:

Last edited:
I guess at least 3.

I guess at least 3.
Wrong I shared at least 40 links by now on various threads.:lol:

Anyway probably at least a year or two till it's complete, and that's not counting after it releases. At the rate it's going now looks like 100 videos and articles a week.

Half of those are Play-through videos on YouTube.

Nice try but wrong again.:p

Well you can always read another Genshin Impact article as well.:cool:

Edit: Gamers/Reviewers are obsessed with that game right now as well.

Last edited:
Oh look I found another Interview this week.:biggrin:

Baldur’s Gate III Interview - Early Access and RNG
Larian Studios landed the monumental task of picking up the long-dormant Baldur's Gate series, a project that tasks the team known for its own recent fantasy RPG series success Divinity Original Sin with both reviving a decade-dormant franchise and working the mechanics of the TTRPG Dungeons & Dragons into a game for modern audiences.

With the game now a week into its Early Access cycle, Larian Studios lead systems designer Nick Pechenin sat down with Gamasutra to discuss how the early days of that open development process has gone and offer a D&D-driven dive into how something as core to the tabletop experience as rolling a twenty-sided die becomes ever more complicated in the context of a video game's narrative, combat, and more.

Oh I will don't worry about that.:cool:

It's how I roll.:rotfl:

Edit: Five posts and counting already in this thread.:celebrate:

Last edited:
Oh by the way the correct answer is 12 this month so far.;)

One of the writers did a live-stream and answered questions as well.

Reddit has a good summary so you don't have to watch the video.

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/jd1qsq/highlights_from_kevin_vanords_stream/
Last night one of the writers, Kevin VanOrd (the writer for Lae'zel and Wyll, and he also wrote Kagha, Dror Ragzlin, and all of the myconids), streamed himself playing the game and was answering a lot of questions about it, so I figured I'd put down some of what he said here. Thanks to u/Loimographia for sharing the stream yesterday, otherwise I wouldn't have known about it!

BTW, in case anyone missed it, Couch figures there will be lots of articles and videos about BG 3 EA (but he's reluctant to share that with us). :lol:

BTW, in case anyone missed it, Couch figures there will be lots of articles and videos about BG 3 EA (but he's reluctant to share that with us). :lol:
Oh I have about twenty more videos and five articles, but embedding links in text is a pain on this forum. To much copy-pasting and the available method is a mess.

Still if you want to watch clips of the stream here you go.

Link - https://www.twitch.tv/kevinvanord/clips?filter=clips&range=30d

The above is the easy way and as you see it's not embedded in text.:p

(Pstt…JDR that makes eight posts now.)

On a serious side though, as someone who never plays EA games and doesn't want to know too much about them, it does take a bit of work to avoid seeing/reading too much information (though not as bad as avoiding sports scores until you can watch the recording of the actual game!) ... but I guess it's nice to have the option for those who want to follow the development as closely as possible.

I agree it's going to be very hard to navigate all the possible spoilers online.

On a serious side though, as someone who never plays EA games and doesn't want to know too much about them, it does take a bit of work to avoid seeing/reading too much information (though not as bad as avoiding sports scores until you can watch the recording of the actual game!) … but I guess it's nice to have the option for those who want to follow the development as closely as possible.

I've found that most articles with spoilers so far have been good enough to include a spoiler warning at the top, but yeah, I know what you mean. At least it's not as bad as The Last of Us 2 was after the story leak.

That game was ruined for me at least story-wise because of people talking about it with no warnings. I should have been smart enough to avoid any threads about it but alas. :-/

To protect people from spoilers: do we really need all these early access reviews in the news feed? Everybody (except believers) seem to like the game. That's what people who do not want to spoil the experience need to know IMO.

PS. I don't think trying the EA is spoiling the game because I would play it through many times anyways. It helps me to develop the character I want to use in my first real playthrough when the game gets complete. Watching the videos and different outcomes from your choises would spoil things for me, however. There are elements of a masterpiece in there. The game is astonishingly reactive to your choices and I want to experience these reactions on my own. It may well become one of the best RPGs ever made.

To protect people from spoilers: do we really need all these early access reviews in the news feed? Everybody (except believers) seem to like the game. That's what people who do not want to spoil the experience need to know IMO.

PS. I don't think trying the EA is spoiling the game because I would play it through many times anyways. It helps me to develop the character I want to use in my first real playthrough when the game gets complete. Watching the videos and different outcomes from your choises would spoil things for me, however. There are elements of a masterpiece in there. The game is astonishingly reactive to your choices and I want to experience these reactions on my own. It may well become one of the best RPGs ever made.

I'd prefer they post all the news. If people want to avoid spoilers they're smart enough not to read these threads.

Anyone heard if they are going to continue to add to the EA until it's ready for release? For instance act 2 when it's ready. Like blackguards did?

Back
Top Bottom