Fallout 4 - Fails at the Hands of Witcher 3

While The Witcher 3 was a great game, it ultimately failed in the shadow of Fallout 4. Games are nothing like movies therefore I wanted to make my own character, forge out and kind of make my own way in the world. While fallout let me do that the witcher 3 kept funneling me down geralts story.

Can someone please explain this to me, as I see no different in making your own character and playing one. I see no different in how the story unfolds in a single party game anyways.

I also see not much difference in party based games, sure you can be a wizard or fighter etc, but how does the story change for people that it distracts from the game by not being able to make some character that 100000 of other people can make as well?

I find this is an point so many bring up about games, that I just don't get after 30 years of gaming.

Can someone please explain this to me, as I see no different in making your own character and playing one. I see no different in how the story unfolds in a single party game anyways.

I also see not much difference in party based games, sure you can be a wizard or fighter etc, but how does the story change for people that it distracts from the game by not being able to make some character that 100000 of other people can make as well?

I find this is an point so many bring up about games, that I just don't get after 30 years of gaming.

My point was that it's a dumb article you cherry pick something 1 game does well and say the other game fails. I was just showing it can be done either way.

If you can't see the difference between playing Geralt and making your own character in fallout or skyrim then I doubt I can help you understand.

Geralt has a personality that doesn't mesh with me at all and therefore I don't really like playing as him. I still enjoy the witcher games but despite Geralt not because of him.

When I make my own character. I'm more invested and I imagine them to have the background and personality I want them to have.

As for party based vs single player? well thats all about options and strategy and has nothing to do with story. for me anyway. Story isn't the only reason I play games.

It's basically this...

video-undefined-25618B9300000578-969_636x358.jpg

This way everyone gets to be Mr. Wilson!

My point was that it's a dumb article you cherry pick something 1 game does well and say the other game fails. I was just showing it can be done either way.

If you can't see the difference between playing Geralt and making your own character in fallout or skyrim then I doubt I can help you understand.

Geralt has a personality that doesn't mesh with me at all and therefore I don't really like playing as him. I still enjoy the witcher games but despite Geralt not because of him.

When I make my own character. I'm more invested and I imagine them to have the background and personality I want them to have.

As for party based vs single player? well thats all about options and strategy and has nothing to do with story. for me anyway. Story isn't the only reason I play games.

No really!

If I take what you are saying is if you make a character it has more personality. Though when making a game where you get to make your character it is very generic as it has to be to fall into all the story of the game and all the other characters that someone else will make as well.

Companies are not making a game just for you or me they have to make it for everyone. So when you break it down it is just a very generic icon going along with the story.

When you play a game like the witcher you have a very defined character that some make not like the personality of the character but is defined. So it still comes down to the story you are playing in.

Unless I am way off base here, as I have played a lot of games and never noticed that a character I have made is much different in any way then any other character I have made when replaying a game.

I can make them look different, grow their skills different but still very generic and when replaying a game with a different character I don't notice their personality changes in anyway to make the game better.

Though I could be way off base here.

I think you're misinterpreting this, sakichop…Name of the article is obvious click baiting, but the intent is how through it's main story, quests and dialogue Witcher achieved better characterization of it's world than Fallout, that too many times boils down to "kill everything that moves and then loot it".

How about this.

Did CDPRed, do a great job in the way they finished the Witcher trilogy VS did fallout 4 do anything to continue the series as it was known before?

*FALLOUT 4 SPOILER*

So, I just now got to the point in Fallout 4 where you are forced to not only pick a faction, but go and slaughter the other factions for very little substantial reason. The story has completely fallen apart for me, and has become one of the silliest RPGs I've ever played. Good thing because I was starting to get bored after 200 hours of side questing/settlement-building.

The Witcher 3 beats the shit out of this game, in nearly every category but guns.
Spoiler:

Nah you can beat the game with 3/4 of the factions loving you and sill very much alive. Even so, dicking around and exploring the wasteland for ever richer sources of aluminum cans and coffee cups was still more fun.

Not more personality. The personality and back story I want to give it.

Don't get me wrong I can play both but I enjoy 1 more than the other.

Think of it this way. Do you want to spend the next 40 hours with someone of you choice or someone I choose whether you like them or not.

In skyrim for instance. I used start another life mod. it starts you in various different situations and you go from there. I would play permadeath and just go off making my own story not touching any of the main quest. Obviously it's not for everyone but I find it enjoyable. I have several short adventures. some would end in death in 15 minutes 1 lasted almost a month.

I got 400 hours of enjoyment playing skyrim like that and messing with mods. I never did get more than a few quests in to the main story. just barely got past the monks on the mountain.

I think you're misinterpreting this, sakichop…Name of the article is obvious click baiting, but the intent is how through it's main story, quests and dialogue Witcher achieved better characterization of it's world than Fallout, that too many times boils down to "kill everything that moves and then loot it".

I could be guilty of that I am a compulsive skimmer so I may have missed his point.

Not more personality. The personality and back story I want to give it.

Don't get me wrong I can play both but I enjoy 1 more than the other.

Think of it this way. Do you want to spend the next 40 hours with someone of you choice or someone I choose whether you like them or not.

In skyrim for instance. I used start another life mod. it starts you in various different situations and you go from there. I would play permadeath and just go off making my own story not touching any of the main quest. Obviously it's not for everyone but I find it enjoyable. I have several short adventures. some would end in death in 15 minutes 1 lasted almost a month.

I got 400 hours of enjoyment playing skyrim like that and messing with mods. I never did get more than a few quests in to the main story. just barely got past the monks on the mountain.

On topic please!

How making a character makes a game better, as in how would TW games been better if you could make your own character. Better yet lets take a classic like Ultima's. Would the Ultima games have been better if you could choice your own character.

The only fact I see is people don't like the story line of the Witcher games and say it would be a better game if you could choice your own character. Though it wouldn't be the same game at all. More to the point it most likely would be a worst game.

Gotta laugh at people saying that you can create your own personal character in Fallout 4, when the backstory and goal are already decided from the get go. You're a married person on a quest to save his/her child. I don't know anyone else, but I felt I could mold Geralt more to be *my* Geralt than I could mold the Vault Survivor to be *my* vault survivor. That I could give the vault survivor a name doesn't change anything.

In the Witcher 3 I get a say on everything, who lives and who dies, who goes to jail and who gets crowned a king or a queen. Entire nations and their landscape pend on my judgement and my actions. In Fallout 4 I only get to choose the tools which I'll use to meaninglessly splatter blood all over the wasteland, and what weapon I'll be carrying while salvaging ten million coffee cups to make more generators in more pointless and dull settlements. Luckily enough, the coffee cups and supermutants keep respawning at set intervals, so you never run out of blood to splatter and coffee cups to salvage. A true sandbox experience.

Honestly, I don't have anything against people who like Fallout 4. I thought it was a decent game for a while, and I enjoyed it for what it was. But don't you come here to insult anyone's intelligence by saying that you get a lot more character choice in Fallout 4 than you do in cinematic games like The Witcher 3 or Mass Effect, because choosing a talent tree is something you do in League of Legends too. We're talking about RP here, and at that, Fallout is a disgrace and should be ashamed of ever selling itself as a *RPG*.

On topic please!

How making a character makes a game better, as in how would TW games been better if you could make your own character. Better yet lets take a classic like Ultima's. Would the Ultima games have been better if you could choice your own character.

The only fact I see is people don't like the story line of the Witcher games and say it would be a better game if you could choice your own character. Though it wouldn't be the same game at all. More to the point it most likely would be a worst game.

What is the topic then. You didn't mention anything about only talking about the witcher in your original post. as a matter of fact you didn't mention witcher at all you said GAMES and even then introduced party based games in to the equation.

your original post:

You then tell me to stay on topic and tell you how it would make the witcher games specifically better. Then you changed it to ultima's.

So I have games, party based games , the witcher and the ultima's. Sorry Celtic but your all over the place and i'm tired and don't have the time.

Your asking me to get you to believe in something you don't. An impossible task. I tried to just give you my point of view but you poo pooed it.

Maybe someone else can explain it better I gave it my best shot.

Gotta laugh at people saying that you can create your own personal character in Fallout 4, when the backstory and goal are already decided from the get go. You're a married person on a quest to save his/her child. I don't know anyone else, but I felt I could mold Geralt more to be *my* Geralt than I could mold the Vault Survivor to be *my* vault survivor. That I could give the vault survivor a name doesn't change anything.

In the Witcher 3 I get a say on everything, who lives and who dies, who goes to jail and who gets crowned a king or a queen. Entire nations and their landscape pend on my judgement and my actions. In Fallout 4 I only get to choose the tools which I'll use to meaninglessly splatter blood all over the wasteland, and what weapon I'll be carrying while salvaging ten million coffee cups to make more generators in more pointless and dull settlements. Luckily enough, the coffee cups and supermutants keep respawning at set intervals, so you never run out of blood to splatter and coffee cups to salvage. A true sandbox experience.

Honestly, I don't have anything against people who like Fallout 4. I thought it was a decent game for a while, and I enjoyed it for what it was. But don't you come here to insult anyone's intelligence by saying that you get a lot more character choice in Fallout 4 than you do in cinematic games like The Witcher 3 or Mass Effect, because choosing a talent tree is something you do in League of Legends too. We're talking about RP here, and at that, Fallout is a disgrace and should be ashamed of ever selling itself as a *RPG*.

I might agree with you if I didn't already have 2 witcher games telling me who Geralt is. Also if you look at my post with the Skyrim example I play these games quite differently than most.

I only put 40 hours in to FO4 so as I don't like post-apoc as much as fantasy but I haven"t advance the main story very far. Other than the old lady in the first settlement I had forgot I was looking for my son. I will go back to it when I can mod the crap out of it and much like skyrim will probably do very little of the main story.

Btw, I'm not insulting any one by telling why and how I enjoy games. You obviously don't need to agree.

I played both games probably for the same amount of time...will likely go back to both...didn't beat either...oh well.

In other news, pancakes totally fail at the hands of steaks.

Sorry, but comparing two games will never work, simply because one of the main things is personal taste. Unless you have more or less the same priorities in games, every comparison you make can feel stupid for someone else. For example, my ex was really into character modification (looks, etc.), so the witcher wouldn't fly for her, but Fallout 4 would, since she spent hours just to play around with the face in the other Bethesda games. Priorities.

Personally, I still have to play the Witcher 2 before I'll tackle 3 (somehow never got over the starting minutes of 2), but for that I'll want to re-play 1 first, so it'll take a while ;-)

What I find funny is the fact that you do not need to kill the robots in that race example, which the author discusses. If you don't attack them and don't go into their way (literally) they stay friendly and you only need to care about the raiders.

I believe this is funny because the author complains to be forced into violence against everything and gives an example where this is exactly not the case.

When he choose to detonate the robots, he deliberately choose to use violence against friendly entities.

With respect to the overall question I tend to the position that both games are fun in a very different way and it is really like the question whether steaks are better than pancakes as somebody already said.

Besides that the Whitcher 3 is RPG of the year for me.

The Open-world RPG genre has evolved, Bethesda hasn't. Is the result not expected?

This is the first game from Bethesda that has me falling asleep literally when playing it. The padded "features" of scavenging and settlement building/defending are obnoxious and hypnotizing that they may have just left them out for the better.

The old engine built upon Gamebryo since the days of Oblivion must have been really endearing to the developers as they refuse to step forward. Just look how far the Witcher franchise has gone in just three installments...it's been several revolutions. And Beth just...sigh

Fallout 4 is a trash RPG and trash Fallout game, but as a shooter Fallout spin-off, it is decent 7 out of 10 game. But the article is completely right - all the amazing things Black Isle and Obsidian did in previous Fallout games, Bethesda chucked right out the window in favour or insane meaningless violence and moronic fetchkill quests.

Witcher 3 annihilates it, writing and design-wise. Fallout 4 could not elicit emotion within me even with a fucking CANCER OF MY OWN CHILD. That is how badly it is written.

However I am glad Fallout 4 is the lowest rated Bethesda game since 2002 and isn't a GOTY anymore. Hopefully it will force Bethesda to hire some actually good writers and designers, because they have great worldbuilders and it is a shame to see such talent go to waste on such vapid game.

Fallout has been my favourite franchise since 1997, I love the world..I want to see it get better treatment. If Bethesda cannot improve…then I wish at least Obsidian would get another chance with it.

What I find funny is the fact that you do not need to kill the robots in that race example, which the author discusses. If you don't attack them and don't go into their way (literally) they stay friendly and you only need to care about the raiders.

I believe this is funny because the author complains to be forced into violence against everything and gives an example where this is exactly not the case.

When he choose to detonate the robots, he deliberately choose to use violence against friendly entities.

With respect to the overall question I tend to the position that both games are fun in a very different way and it is really like the question whether steaks are better than pancakes as somebody already said.

Besides that the Whitcher 3 is RPG of the year for me.

That is weid. I went there, raiders attacked me without provocation, and the robots did too afterwards.

But even if they didn't, his point stands. Total waste of interesting location in favour of more meaningless violence.

Back
Top Bottom