Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced

Well I was going to wait for the final DLC but decided to play it now.

So any tips anyone?

Get violent for vegetables… oh wait, that was last game. This one is more about bacon (which I'm sure has NOTHING to do with the mascot in the 1st game).

The first few missions are plenty easy and make for a good tutorial. Once you need to attack their big line of defense, though, start saving right before you click on the map to start a mission. That will let you easily pop back and pick different people - like bringing more lancers if there are lots of tanks or swapping the mortars between anti-tank and anti-folks.

The AI is as dumb as a box of rocks but the game makes up for it by putting a lot of baddies out there.

Get Curtis knocked out then save him with a medic. His sister will show up afterward and join.

Normal soldiers can only get up to corporal rank. Once they hit that, you might want to swap him/her out and let somebody in that can use the xp. That helps get the character story missions, too.

The only place where you can really explore what characters can do is, for some weird reason, the equipment screen.

Well I was going to wait for the final DLC but decided to play it now.

So any tips anyone?
Sure, but wait…
Get violent for vegetables… oh wait, that was last game.
Someone played VC1 with silly dub. Turn it off and use original VO. There is no yelling "vegetables!".

Tips in that post are great, I'm adding a few additional tips of mine:

- Do not try to get A rank on a mission the first time you're playing it. Kill everything possible (so you grab special empirial weapons). Once you inspect the mission thoroughly, replay it to get A rank.

- When doing sidestories with 3 crewmembers make sure all 3 are corporals! A sidestory success if all are corporals adds them new traits or replaces bad ones for good ones. How to improve a soldier's rank? Select them to do something then end turn rince&repeat IIRC 40 times in skirmish, 20 times in a proper mission. Yea, grind. :)

- Always remove the default weapon from Grenadiers and put armor penetrating weapon instead. Always. Even when it looks like a bad idea. Just do it.

- Flamethrower is not useless. Use it to "burn" trashmobs hiding behind sandbags or in the grass.

- APC saves movement. Once you unlock it, drive three of your soldiers at any spot without them losing "stamina".

I received this as a Christmas gift, but haven't played it as of yet. I was actually thinking about replaying the other VC computer game before trying this one out, after I finish Tower of Time.

New post from SEGA: https://steamcommunity.com/app/790820/discussions/0/1741106440036813058/

First, the AWOL DLC is now present and accounted for.

Second, anyone who bought any of the four older DLC items gets the two overdue DLC for free!

Third, anyone who buys one of those four DLC in the future gets the two overdue DLC for free as well!!

Someone played VC1 with silly dub. Turn it off and use original VO. There is no yelling "vegetables!".
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....216/037DB6CAF3EFE5A5DB4D07BC13EE860C57CE2EC4/

- Do not try to get A rank on a mission the first time you're playing it. Kill everything possible (so you grab special empirial weapons). Once you inspect the mission thoroughly, replay it to get A rank.
You think? Most of those weapons seemed fairly pointless to me. Some weren't too bad though there's always a big trade-off somewhere, like much shorter range.

- When doing sidestories with 3 crewmembers make sure all 3 are corporals!
Definitely no need! One needs to be a corporal to get the story started but the rest get rewards just the same. I even had some characters that I never fielded once get one bad trait turned into a good one.

Always remove the default weapon from Grenadiers and put armor penetrating weapon instead. Always. Even when it looks like a bad idea. Just do it.
Errr, why? The anti-human… errr… anti-infantry ones have horrid aim but do pretty great. Anti-armor does OK against tanks (especially a CERTAIN tank) but won't always kill people that are crouching. Standard does enough armor to blow up turrets and kill off most people as long as you hit them over the head but is wasted against tanks.

- Flamethrower is not useless. Use it to "burn" trashmobs hiding behind sandbags or in the grass.
That's for sure! Flamethrowers show up once the infantry class gets to a certain level.

- APC saves movement. Once you unlock it, drive three of your soldiers at any spot without them losing "stamina".
I think it starts with 2 but it won't be long before you can upgrade to 3 and (eventually) 4 people. It will laugh off simple machine gun damage but heavier guns will cut it up. It's also great for busting up sandbags!

Oh, and speaking of free movement, VC4 has a new system where a leader can command two other soldiers to follow. You only get to do it once per turn but, if Claude is a scout, he can haul a lancer and a grenadier pretty far! About half way through the game, you'll get the ability to designate any one corporal as a leader so you might want to work those scouts until you get one at top rank. Engineers are good, too, and bring their own ammo.

There's also an assist system. If you shoot at an enemy while standing near another of your soldiers (other than a grenadier?), that soldier will shoot as well. Even the tank and APC will join in with some machine gun fire! Beware the snipers, though. They join in but they use their normal ammo to do it.

New post from SEGA: https://steamcommunity.com/app/790820/discussions/0/1741106440036813058/

First, the AWOL DLC is now present and accounted for.

Second, anyone who bought any of the four older DLC items gets the two overdue DLC for free!

Third, anyone who buys one of those four DLC in the future gets the two overdue DLC for free as well!!

Fourth, anyone who preordered the game, that includes me, got Advance Ops and United Front with Squad 7 for free.
:thumbup: Sega!

I think I mentioned yelling. Not subtitles.

So, assuming I understand this correctly, if you purchase one extra content package, you receive all of them? If so, that's great for the consumers, so I'm all behind it. Trying to think of the last time I cheered Sega on.....maybe when the Dreamcast was released.

I think your understanding is incorrect.

So, assuming I understand this correctly, if you purchase one extra content package, you receive all of them? If so, that's great for the consumers, so I'm all behind it. Trying to think of the last time I cheered Sega on…..maybe when the Dreamcast was released.

I finished the game and wrote up a Steam review. Basically, while there are tons of problems with the game, it's still worth getting just because the battles are so fun.

Nitpicker. :p
The game is as sweet as a bombon - not buying it is a sin.

About DLC note I'd suggest not buying anything before main mission 10. ;)

Bombs are not sweet, whether on or off! ;)

Most of the DLC can't be played until 10, can it? Except for the meeting with Squad 7, which can be played after, like, chapter 2 or some such. I played it at Ch. 15 or some such so it was a complete cake walk.

There was something I didn't understand in the very last mission…
Why have an engineer put a ladder on the big tank? I tried it, ran up there… and wasn't able to do a thing. Even when the radiators were out, throwing a grenade at one did dink. You can't stay up there because the tank keeps going under water every turn. Plus you're likely to get hit by your own mortars.

still never got through 3. Game is good though, but a bit too easy with the save during battle feature. You can easily savescum in every fight.

So... don't? Or do if you have more fun that way.

So… don't? Or do if you have more fun that way.

The way it's built kind of encourages it, though. For example, fights can have several stages, each one taking quite a bit of time. These phases could also kill you if you make one wrong move or aren't sure what to do immediately. I'd rather tighter battles that are a bit shorter but can't be savescummed. I dunno, just a minor quirk I had with the game. Otherwise I enjoyed it quite a bit. Liked the story, characters and the tactical nature of the game and combat.

Back
Top Bottom