Witcher 3 Stopped playing TW3

The Witcher 3
Thanks for the awesome posts guys :) very interesting read and got some great tips too.

A lot of it might simply have to do with what kind of mood you're in lately. That can greatly affect how much I enjoy a certain kind of game at any given time. It might just not be the right type of game for you right now.

You've never struck me as the open-world type though, and I don't recall ever seeing you talk about these kinds of games before.

I'd be cautious about other people's opinions on TW3 though, as they often seem to be extreme in one way or another. My advice would be to just play it on your own and not worry about what someone else thought about it.

It's also a very long game, so I don't advise trying to force your way through if you're not feeling it. That'll only make the experience even worse if you're not enjoying it. Instead, just move on to something else and perhaps give TW3 another try at some point in the future. :)

Excellent tip, thanks JDR!

Yes, true, might be my mood as well. I couldn't understand why people find NWN charming until I decided to give HotU a spin again years later.

No, I don't think I'm open world type. I usually find it either overwhelming or empty and boring.

I don't find TW3 a terrible game nor I hate it. I just found it... disappointingly disengaging at this point. Especially after all the hype with people calling it 10/10 masterpiece.

I definitely agree with weaknesses pointed out in this thread. That and I found there are too many quests. They are all written, but so much that (ironically) it distracts me from the main quest. Maybe next time I play, I will forget all the bounties and side quests and concentrate on main story only.

For now though... Might give myself a break and move on to something else...

I hated it, thoroughly lol.
Basically you're saying this to me:

- you hated optional gimmicks like horse races
- you hated hairworks
- you hated ability to save anywhere in openworld game
- you hated voiceovers
- you hated offered choices
- you hated sunflower fields
- you hated music
- you hated lack of MMO
- you hated it being DRMfree
- you hated <insert anything that's not insisting on mushrooms gameplay rubbish>

Man… Look at my eyes.
I do not believe you.

Yes, true, might be my mood as well. I couldn't understand why people find NWN charming until I decided to give HotU a spin again years later.
I still can't understand. As usual when it comes to NWN I say, uninstall.

Basically you're saying this to me:

- you hated optional gimmicks like horse races
- you hated hairworks
- you hated ability to save anywhere in openworld game
- you hated voiceovers
- you hated offered choices
- you hated sunflower fields
- you hated music
- you hated lack of MMO
- you hated it being DRMfree
- you hated <insert anything that's not insisting on mushrooms gameplay rubbish>

Man… Look at my eyes.
I do not believe you.

I still can't understand. As usual when it comes to NWN I say, uninstall or go find and marry Tomi Undergallows type of person, he's so fun.

Pretty much all that is fluff. Good gameplay, exciting/engaging quests, choice & concequence, better main story. That's what I wanted more of, and I wanted it delivered at a better pace too.

Read my 1st post in the thread for a more complete breakdown of why I didn't enjoy it.

I thought it was a massive step backward from TW2, and the genuine C&C options that had, especially how the 2nd chapter played out.

Fluff? Core game design decisions are fluff? Then go on TW forums and tell them to f. off with spending $ on voiceovers for example instead of sucking up to console audience's mushrooms obsession.

Till you do that, my next comments are:
Whatever.

Fluff? Core game design decisions are fluff?
Whatever you say. I mean…. If I listed some horse armor DLC up there, I could understand calling that stuff - fluff.

Yep, to me it's fluff.

- Horse races are boring side-filler which slow the game down
- Hairworks are PURE fluff, and don't add anything to the game
- Save anywhere? Doesn't matter to me at all. Certainly doesn't affect enjoyment
- Voiceovers - doesn't matter one bit, in fact a lot of them I skipped because they dragged if I'm being honest. I can easily play BG2 and not miss voiceovers. Fluff.
- Offered choices? I'd say there were fairly few, and that TW2 had far more poigniant ones. For me the C&C element felt very watered down.
- Sunflower fields, again aesthetic fluff.
- Music usually makes a big difference to me, but I actually hated TW3's music and played with it turned off.
- Lack of MMO? Mate, the whole game was riddled with MMO style elements IMO.
- DRM means little to me. I played on PS4 GOTY edition.

Most of the above has little to do with gameplay or story quality. Which matter far more to me.

Don't get me wrong it's got good elements.

- Truly amazing graphics.
- Well written dialogue.
- Some interesting characters
- Some good quests

But when you take the whole package, I spent far more time thinking "Christ this feels like such a slog", than I did thinking "This is mint!"

If I had a gun to my head to play it again, I'd play Bloody Baron, Carnal Sins, Gold Pig quest, The Possesion Quest, The Skellige quests tied to the Crown, and Master of the Arena. I can barely remember any others.

That section was quality, but I reckon that's around 15-20 hours of around 80-90 which I played. That's far too little an amount for me.

I think you're in the minority regarding some of those things, but whatever. You've definitely made your opinion clear, and you're basically just repeating yourself at this point. joxer tends to cause that. ;)

I doubt purpleblob made this thread with the intention of creating another pointless debate though, so if you guys want to continue, perhaps you should start a new thread.

I had a similar experience with the game but persevered and finished the game. To me the side quest were superb but he rest of the game was lacking. So I could totally understand enjoying watching it more than playing it.

The only way I got through it was to go from quest to quest and focus on that and forget about the mediocre combat, exploration and terrible loot system.

I too agree with this assessment.

I finished it as well and I loved the story and all the side quest. I loved all the characters in the game. They were all written very well and there are plenty of memorable NPCs. This even applies to the side quest. The voice acting was also great. Its top notch story.

I could live the combat, it wasn't great but it wasn't diminishing my enjoyment of the game.

However I hated the exploration and loot system. These two works off each other. The gear system was boring, there is nothing to look forward to and most of the gear you find were pretty useless. This means you are not really interested in exploring since why bother?

This is why I have not played the expansion yet even though I own them. But one day when I am in the mood for story, I will give it go.

@purpleblob; if you like a good story, then I recommend set the difficulty to easy and play the game. Just stick to the main quest and the side quest. Don't go off exploring and all that! You will enjoy it more that way.

Yeah, I'm planning to play through TW3 and expansions focusing exclusively on quests - and forgetting all about the gameplay.

I really want the complete story.

Wonder when I'll have the time for that.

I'm ashamed to say that I still haven't played Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine. :)

I wanted to do a complete replay with the expansions, but then I started thinking about how long it's been since I've played TW1 and that it might be neat to replay the entire trilogy from the beginning. There are just too many other games I need to catch up on though…

I'm ashamed to say that I still haven't played Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine. :)
image.php

@purpleblob; if you like a good story, then I recommend set the difficulty to easy and play the game. Just stick to the main quest and the side quest. Don't go off exploring and all that! You will enjoy it more that way.

Thanks for the good tip! I do enjoy good story, so I will go back to TW3 at some point. It was the story telling that drew me to TW3 in first place :)
@JDR13; and @NewDArt; : I recommend you guys give expansions a go, story telling is extraordinary. I mainly watched hubby playing Hearts of Stone - I got so into it, I forgot about my own game and watched him play for hours each time.

I quit after the Baron quests. I loved those, but (IIRC) I had went to Skellige? early and the game just assumed that I had done a bunch of the Ciri stuff and I hadn't. I think they patched this out. Basically, when I played, you could skip almost all of Ciri's quests if you went straight to the place where you finally meet her if you follow the quest linearly.

Back
Top Bottom