The Witcher 3: - PCGAMER First Look

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PCGAMER brings you a first look at The Witcher 3. Enjoy there humorous first play style preview.
I know this is exactly what a brooding fantasy RPG anti-hero would want you to think, but Geralt really is misunderstood. At first glance, The Witcher’s reticent protagonist is a walking cliché. He has silver hair, a scar over one eye and two swords permanently fastened to his back. If you asked an artist to sketch a typical troubled, dark-fantasy badass the results would look suspiciously similar, but these aren’t frivolous artistic embellishments – they’re the marks of a man who has survived for decades in the gloomiest of dark fantasy worlds.

The Witcher 3 is the final entry in Geralt’s saga. Freed from the political obligations and baffling amnesia that bound him in The Witcher 2, he’s searching for lost loved ones in a world on the brink of a calamitous war. But for all his vagrant tendencies, Geralt has a knack for becoming embroiled in the squabbles of the rich and powerful. He’s responding to a summons from Jarl Crach, who needs help with a personal matter.

Whether developer CD Projekt RED can master the world-building techniques that make Skyrim such a fascinating place to explore remains uncertain, but from what I’ve seen here, their huge open world setting has done nothing to dilute the intrigue, ugliness and dark humour that make The Witcher games so strange and memorable.
More information.

Last edited:
Great article. Some choice quotes from the article that I particularly like.

This is a prescribed boss fight, but these behaviours are dynamic AI decisions. If you run across a giant in the wild, he’ll start looking for ways to use the environment against you
I wonder if it will pick up and hurl NPCs as well :p

Combat looks similar to the combo-heavy third-person brawls of The Witcher 2, but the developers insist that they’ve focused strongly on improving the heft and responsiveness of fights. You still combine quick and heavy strikes into killer combos, but each click is tied to a single blow to stop Geralt from windmilling wildly into the bushes. A selection of dainty pirouettes should put an end to the endless roll-dodging of the second game, and Geralt will case foes at a more measured pace before lashing out, adding some much needed structure to the flashy but sloppy duels of the second game.
Combat is a huge part of the game and I'm glad the devs are working hard on it.

Also I think spy a few new screenshots in the article.

I am ashamed to say I haven't finished Witcher 2.But that's only because I have limited time to play all the games I want to. I'm still in Flotsam because there's a lot of things to be done. I must say that the
bridge troll
side quest really got to me. I spent 30 minutes just looking for the quest item, I was that desperate to help the quest giver.

Well I can help you there if you want. At least it's not as weird as the feather quest later on.
The troll can be found beside the destroyed bridge, in the eastern part of the area. Before you go down to the river, you will come across a civilian attacked by Nekkers. Kill the monsters and talk with the man about the troll. You will mention the prize offered for the monster, however the man will try to convince you not to kill it and instead head to Chorab to talk with him about the troll. You have two possible paths.

If you decide to kill the troll, go down the rock ledges to the river – you will notice the monster sitting by the bridge. The creature will ask you for vodka – if you don’t have any, it won’t let you cross the bridge (which is destroyed anyway) and the fight will begin. It consists of two parts – around the moment when you take half of his life, he will ask you to stop. You have two options then

A. Listen to the troll.
B. Kill the troll.

If you decide to listen the troll out, you will learn why he’s drinking – someone has murdered his she-troll. You will decide to find the murderers and therefore convince the troll to quit drinking aside and repair the bridge.

If you’re wondering who might need a dead she-troll, you might consider asking a magician. The only one you’ve met is Sheala, who can be found in the room above the tavern. She will tell you that the head wouldn’t be useful as an alchemic ingredient, but would make a good trophy.

Notice! Sheala can be found in her room above the tavern after you finish Indecent Proposal.

Notice! The she troll’s head can be acquired only by winning in dice poker with Sendler, however before finishing Poker Face: Flotsam, as otherwise you won’t be able to get the head and receive the precious armor formula from the troll.

Notice! If you already finished Poker Face: Flotsam, you won’t be able to get the she-troll’s head and therefore the troll tongue needed for Melitele’s Heart. You will have to kill the troll to get the desired ingredient.

Go to the tavern, where you will find Zoltan. You will learn that a troll’s head would be a very good trophy, which someone might want to hang on the wall. It’s worth to start your search from Lobinden. You won’t have to search too far, as the head is inside Chorab’s house. When asked how he got it, he will tell that he had bought it from Dmitri. He doesn’t know where Dmitri himself is, however his people often reside in the tavern.

Go into meditation and rest till night. Afterwards head to the lower level of the tavern the stairs are right beside the entrance, on the right. Inside the fight room, you will find Dmitri’s subordinate – Dhun. Talk with him about the she-troll. The man won’t be eager to help, but intimidation or a fist fight (QTE) will help you in getting the needed information. You will learn that the bandit responsible for killing the she-troll can be found at the graveyard.

Both the cemetery and Dmitri can be found to the east of Lobinden. Once you get close enough, a cutscene will start and afterwards you will be immediately attacked. The fight shouldn’t be too hard. You can help yourself with Axii and temporarily take control over one of the thugs. Use Aard to stun enemies, while remembering about blocking and dodging. Don’t forget to search everyone afterwards. Dmitri has the bandit hideout key.

You can now return to the troll and tell him about the murderers’ death. You will receive a reward.

Notice! If you managed to get the she-troll’s head, you can give it back to the troll and in return receive Formula: Hunter’s Armor.

Also don’t forget to head to Chorab to get your prize. At first you will receive only 100 orens, but using intimidation or persuasion will give you the whole promised amount, double the previous reward. The mission will come to an end.

Last edited:
Thanks Couchpotato but I already completed the quest (on my own too :D)

I spent 30 minutes trying to find the she-troll's head by checking all the houses before I found it in Sendler's house. Your post mentions it being in Chorab's house?
You won’t have to search too far, as the head is inside Chorab’s house. When asked how he got it, he will tell that he had bought it from Dmitri

I just felt so damned sorry for the NPC :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom