Gothic 3 Computer won't restart after quitting Gothic 3

svencha

Watcher
Hi everyone,

After quitting G3 and returning to the desktop, the windows restart function doesn’t work so I have to reset the computer. The last time it happened, I reset manually and windows froze at the welcome screen, when I reset again it started normally though.. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Playing G3 patched
AMD 4400 X2
X1900XTX with 6.9 drivers
Direct X 9c
Microsoft Visual c++ 2005
1 GB
Windows XP SP2

That happened to me too until I applied the patch - now I can quit okay but I can’t restart the computer normally.

This was sometimes the case with previous installment of Gothic, too. Maybe tracing the problem in earlier topics (various places) might reveal some clues towards it's solution.

You can try to reinstall the patch.
I found sometimes that when I had lockups with G3 and then trying to start it again, reappling the patch seemed to help.
Though since it's windows also I would suggest trying to reinstall the Directx9c on the G3 disk.
Now if you can't get into windows you can try Safe mode.
Also consider reisntalling your Video drivers, check you monitor settings like refresh and make sure they are the same, i.e. 60 is not really good on your eyes though windows and some games like G3 try to automaticly select this, if you have ATI try downloading ATI Tray Tools, great utility.

Is it okay to install direct x 9c again over the top of the existing 9c? I don’t have to uninstall do I? If that doesn’t work III try the video drivers.

Yesterday when I was playing, after a while I couldn’t click on any dialogue replies or use any items in inventory! I could start a conversation with someone and could click on the replies, but it wasn’t responding, the game was okay besides that problem though...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Sure its fine to reload Dx9c again and no you don't have to uninstall first, as a matter of fact afaik you can't uninstall DX, also reinstalling the Patch is fine, I reboot after just out of habit and to make sure everything gets loaded.
Now the video drivers you will need to uninstall older version before installing new ones at least for all the major video card companies, iir atm.

Well, I tried all of the above and G3 is still doing the same thing...

Symptoms:

After some time playing I lose the ability to select items from inventory to use – I click nothing happens. But I can still click on items and people.

I can talk to anyone but then I can’t escape from the dialogue menu because when I click on the exit option nothing happens, then I have to crtl/alt/del back to the desktop

I can shut down windows but I can’t use the windows reset function

On the desktop after quitting Gothic, when I select a single desktop icon, it selects a few instead of just the one I want to start. It’s like the ctrl key is stuck on or something but it’s not.

After rebooting windows everything is back to normal.

I’ve reinstalled direct x9c, and the Ati 6.9 drivers

This is an annoying problem because I can’t find anyone else who’s having the same one!

Have you tried going back in after the Alt-Tab to the desktop? Same thing?
If so you need to reinstall the game, make sure you delete the game directory after the uninstall and reboot, since it doesn't remove all the files.
Make sure to backup your save folder, just incase.

I’ve finally gotten around to trying a complete re-install of g3 + patch and it still happens. Pressing alt/tab and back doesn’t solve the problem.

Why would clicking in some sections of the game work and not others? Could it be my mouse/keyboard? None of my other games have given me this trouble but it’s the only thing left I can think of.

Thanks again for your suggestions

I’ve finally gotten around to trying a complete re-install of g3 + patch and it still happens. Pressing alt/tab and back doesn’t solve the problem.

Why would clicking in some sections of the game work and not others? Could it be my mouse/keyboard? None of my other games have given me this trouble but it’s the only thing left I can think of.

Thanks again for your suggestions

While waiting for G3 to arrive in the stores, I've been playing G2....again and have noticed the same things you're experiencing. My computer won't boot normally, I have to use the reset button to start it. First thought, I had picked up a virus and ran Ad-Aware. Found nothing. While in-game, sometimes I can't choose anything in inventory, there's a character missing in a quest (Cor-Angor), or a bow will stop working. A friend suggested that I stop leaving the cd in the tray when I shut down......but I keep forgetting :) . I have G1 installed also, I plan to do the whole thing when 3 arrives! I just love the game.

Most of the time when I try to kill the Gothic3 task my computer hangs completely. I am glad I only max a day or two left in the game and hope NWN2 wont be as buggy. It's sad. But Gothic 3 have been one hell of a ride anyway.

These are very strange problems. I myself have had trouble shutting a system down before. I'd choose start and try to shut it down or restart it, but it wouldn't do anything. Most of the time for me, these problems simply went away with time, and were inexplicable.

Back
Top Bottom