Pillars of Eternity II - Patch 1.2

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Patch 1.2 for Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire is here, with the following highlights.

• Inventory and Store Features
    • Your stash is now searchable!
    • Holding shift while selling things from your stash will now add items without prompting the player about stack sizes.
  • Companions and Relationships
    • Reputation screen now displays the dialogue nodes that affected change with companion relationships.
    • Added UI to recommend which companions to bring on quests relevant to those companions.
  • Mod Manager UI
    • User interface added that lets you track which mods you've added or turned on or off.
  • Crew Injuries
    • An Injured Crew HUD is now available.
  • Balance Changes
    • All 2H melee weapons now receive +1 Penetration to put them in line with the other melee weapons.
    • Several under-performing Cipher spells have been buffed while Charm has been re-tuned to break if the character takes damage from the charming party.
    • Tricksters have gotten new spells, lower penalties, and cheaper high level abilities, while Wizards have lower out of school penalties, higher power levels with specialized schools, and spell buffs. Additionally, low-level Priest spells have been buffed.
    • We wanted consumables to be valuable tools to solve problems, not be a singular factor in combat or be a crutch that players could reach for too easily and without any need for decision-making. As they were, they were too-often the only deciding factor in combat. We've re-tuned consumables to scale exclusively from skill ranks and power level bonuses and figurines will no longer have unlimited uses.
  • Major Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where party members who were knocked out during a save state would be dead but still be in the party upon loading a save
    • Players no longer spiritshift (and lose equipment) when drinking from the pool at Outcast's Respite.
    • Player health in character sheet now displays properly.
    • Active animal companion abilities now properly display on the Ranger and animal companion ability bars.
    • Fixed problems with the ability bar detecting the active/queued state of modal abilities in no modal group.
What's Next?

The developers are still hard at work to bring continuous improvements, features, and content to the Deadfire - stay tuned in July for new challenge modes, a new free merchant-ship DLC, and our first expansive DLC, the "Beast of Winter". More news on them in the coming weeks!​
More information.

Wow, some of those sound like pretty serious balance changes.

Obsidian has been awesome with the post-release support

I'll finish my White March playthrough tonight. Seems to be a good time to start Deadfire tomorrow. :)

Wow, some of those sound like pretty serious balance changes.

Yeah, this one in particular:
and figurines will no longer have unlimited uses.

Would have made things a fair bit more challenging for me. I abused the hell out of those things and collected all of the ones I could find. Whenever I encountered a group that looked like it might even try to put up a fight, I'd have my entire party use all their summon figurines and then just let things descend into chaos as the enemies were overwhelmed. And since there were no limitations on resting, I'd just rest after I was out of combat and get all my uses of them back. It quickly trivialized combat after I had a few of them, and then when all of my party members had 2-3 figurines each, well…

Obsidian has been awesome with the post-release support

It starts out that way, then in 9 months you have to post on their forums telling them to stop screwing around with character stats in the name of "balance"!

It starts out that way, then in 9 months you have to post on their forums telling them to stop screwing around with character stats in the name of "balance"!
Balance is everything my young Padawan.

Yet Josh loves to Butcher the game classes/stats.

and-so-it-begins-gif-6.gif

Did they mess with my beloved Street Fighter Marauder?

I wonder how many people that didn't buy it do actually want the game, but are waiting until they've finished screwing around with it.

The ongoing support is great in one way, but I think they might have shot themselves in the foot by training people to wait.

People holding off for balance purposes alone would be in a tiny, tiny minority - I'd expect.

Not that there's a way to establish such a thing, one way or the other.

If you don't like balance changes from release and the game works fine - then just don't patch it.

If you don't like balance changes from release and the game works fine - then just don't patch it.
Yeah but then you cant play the DLC or eventual expansions, but I get your point.

Yeah but then you cant play the DLC or eventual expansions, but I get your point.

I personally think most people who're eager to play don't care that much about upcoming changes.

That said, I do think a significant amount of players are holding off for patches and so forth - but that's more about fixing the game and getting it cheaper.

That would be my theory, anyway.

I'm waiting for all the DLC & Expansions to be released before I play it.

pillars-of-eternity-2-dlcs.jpg

I can't really come up with a great argument supporting getting games at release.

I'm just a bit stupid in that way, personally.

I think there's a very good argument for buying games at release, even if you don't play them - to support the kind of games you want to see made.

I just wonder if they've planted the idea in many customers' minds that it's better to wait until these games are actually complete, and then pick them up at discount.

As a backer for both games, it did make me question this time around how best to approach playing Deadfire given the staggered manner that the White March expansions were released.

I really enjoyed Path of the Damned last time, so it makes sense to me to wait until everything is out and in the meantime, play on veteran to simply experience and get an initial feel for the game.

However, one significant negative point detracting from this backing experience has been the ongoing delay for physical rewards shipping. I emailed Obsidian support and the latest seems to be that packages will be going out mid-July. For me, it's another reason to delay any kind of serious play-through of the game as it's always nice to have any extra atmospheric enhancers in front of you beforehand.

This game was fun enough after patch 1.1 that I didn't mind doing a full playthrough before they finished supporting it. I'll probably even play each DLC as they're released.

Last edited:
I just wonder if they've planted the idea in many customers' minds that it's better to wait until these games are actually complete, and then pick them up at discount.

Waiting to buy games so they are cheaper and packed in "complete edition" with all released content is not a new thing. I was doing it back in the 90s and early 2000s with boxed games (aka bargain bin games). My copy of BG1 is a "complete edition", it included the expac and the soundtrack for $30 (new game release back then were $60 for me, expac where $30/40). Same for Morrowind, I bought the base game, but waited for the GOTY version with both expact, on sales, to get those. I never owned TOB until I bought BG2:EE too…

With time I realized that I rarely finish all that extra content, so these days I buy games that interest me on release and outside of super discount on "complete editions" or wanting to encourage the developer, I tend to not even bother with them.

It's certainly planted deep in my brain. I've been playing more games near release recently because I've backed them but normally I wait months for a game.

As for supporting developers - if I ever decide to do that, I'll just write them a check. That way it all goes to them.

Back
Top Bottom