Top sellers for 2018 on Steam

D

Darth Tagnan

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2018_so_far_top_sellers/

Interesting. I'm still amazed at the con that is Warframe.

On the other hand, I'm extremely pleased with the success of Kingdom Come Deliverance. I would never have guessed, to be honest.

If there are enough people interested in that kind of quirky but bold vision, then there's hope yet! :)

Of course, most of the other top sellers are essentially sad clones of each other - but you can't have everything.

Actually, the root URL is here: https://store.steampowered.com/best_of_2018/

What actually surprised me most is just how dead the old gaming schedule is. Back in the day, all the big names and even many of the fairly big names would aim for late October and November. A few would run behind schedule and end up in January. It was incredible to see BioShock show up in late August, for instance.

Now, look at the "Top New Releases" list, which shows popular games by month. It's still a bit weak around June/July but games are showing up pretty much all the year `round!

I guess that reflects gamers' ages? Not only are we no longer reliant on our Christmas wish lists to get the games we want - the industry has actually noticed and adjusted.

How is Warframe a scam but Star Citizen isn't?

I've played a crap load of Warframe for free.

It came out on Unreal 3 Engine, after success they made their own engine and from there every game system has been overhauled. Then when there was nothing to fix they started adding expansions more like new games. Archwings, Open worlds, flying your ship around, etc.

It's one of the best examples of free2play done right.

The thing about a successful con is that some people are actually conned ;)

Don't feel bad, though. I played 100+ hours of Warframe before I woke up and realised what I was doing.

Seeing as how you enjoy timewasting grinds like MHW - it's not a surprise you're not awake yet.

It cons you into thinking you play a game, while you actually unlock the mystic puzzles of an alien space ship for a secret agency of the US government.

Isn't it obvious?

The list says 2 things :

- What a gaming platform Steam is. Some genres are totally absent, and some really died out.

- Into what kinds of players people playing through steam have evolved. It's "action over everything else", the only exception is Civ, maybe. I really have no idea why people are so much frowning upon non-action games these days.

I really have no idea why people are so much frowning upon non-action games these days.
These days?? In the mid 90's, how many people were playing Doom vs. playing Master of Orion?

P.S. Steam seems to be choking this weekend - especially when I wake up, which would be mid-afternoon in Europe.

I know I'm quite often playing games that don't really appeal to the masses, but that's fine by me. I'm a lot more concerned about what brings me enjoyment, and what works for one usually doesn't work for all, be it books, films, or video games. And that's just fine, keeps all of us from devolving into lemmings.

The big suprise on that list to me is Subnautica. For an indie game with no multiplayer to reach Gold status is incredibly impressive. Which reminds me I really need to get around to playing it.

The other one that surprises me is Vermintide II reaching Platinum. I played the first game and thought it was complete shit.

On a side note: How the hell can a Free to Play game be a top seller?

No surprise online games are at teh top but surprised to see monster hunter there, that game sold millions on pc in a few months lol, dont understand why as its nothing special.

And gj for geralt, still holding its ground.

These days?? In the mid 90's, how many people were playing Doom vs. playing Master of Orion?

No, something has really changed within the last 10 years. Didn't you see it ?

Beside the fact than all around more powerful hardware have made more widespread action oriented games even on phones? Consoles have always been about action games, and PC have followed when everyone got a 3d card in there. Even for a crowd like ours you will find many to say than turn by turn games are too 'slow' or the Witcher 3 is not enough bloody button smashing oriented and has too much cinematic so elsewhere...

- Into what kinds of players people playing through steam have evolved. It's "action over everything else", the only exception is Civ, maybe. I really have no idea why people are so much frowning upon non-action games these days.

Without associating numbers of sales to that each categories, it means little.
The bronze level must not represent that many sales over a year since PoE2, deemed a poor seller, is listed.

Which means that there could be a lot more varieties, selling close numbers but not listed because they did not hit the target.

If bronze is 100 000 copies over a year, there could be lots of products that sold like 80 000 per year and very different genres.

Which means that quite a lot of older titles keep hitting those meaningless bronze, silver, gold platinum levels.

The vision is thus distorted: GTA V is, after all those years, still at platinum levels and players these days buy to use it as an acting platform. They want to join a server, be given a part and do an acting performance. It has little to do with action.

Jurassic park is platinum, and a management game.

' or the Witcher 3 is not enough bloody button smashing oriented

Who that is. There are people out there who think a product that allow the player to smash buttons without ever looking at the screen is not enough bloody button smashing oriented. How to improve on that.

Over the past 10? I guess not. Things changed big from the 90's through the early naughties because the audience changed from people willing to deal with highmem-vs-extendedmem to the more general population but the past 10 doesn't seem to have changed all that much to me.

Well, our genre seems to be going well overall.

Elder Scrolls Online and Farcry 5 and AC: Odyssey are all platinum, so that's gotta be good in some ways. No "pure" crpg in the top 12 though.

Witcher 3, KCD, Path of Exile, DOS II are all Gold and that's cool too. It's amazing how ESO and Witcher 3 really have staying power. Super glad that KCD hit this level, even though it isn't my cuppa.

I'm a little surprised that Fallout 4 is still silver and amazed that ancient Skyrim is bronze. This doesn't give me a lot of hope that Bethesda will change their ways anytime soon. They're still making too much money :( I'm bummed that Fallout 76 is no longer tracked by Steam sales. I wonder how it's doing. I noticed that during Xmas break there were several times that my server wasn't full of peeps.

Looks like Elex didn't do anything. No staying power at all. PB needs to change if they want to grow. However, they have a niche if they don't mind staying small.

Count the revenue due to microtransactions?

(but yeah, they probably don't.)

They sell "Prime Access" packs - which count as any other sale.

Part of their "incredibly generous" F2P model is that you either grind for an enternity to find and craft basic roles and weapons - or you pay for it.

Oh, I believe the reason people excuse this model is that you can spend your life trading on the market - in order to gain access to attractive items and frames.

Of course, you still have to wait days to craft items - unless you pay to speed it up.

Again, it's one of the most successful cons in gaming history. At least, from my point of view.

Of course, if you value money more than time - then it might not be a big problem.

I actually agree with that. Although, I think it's just as much of an underhanded tactic when the game is not F2P.

The only thing that F2P adds to the con is the misnomer.

I actually agree with that. Although, I think it's just as much of an underhanded tactic when the game is not F2P.

The only thing that F2P adds to the con is the misnomer.

Well, it's sort of a complicated concept. If you turn it into a principle ala joxer - you're not doing it justice.

A lot of F2P games are reasonably "fair" - in that you can enjoy most of the content without paying or grinding that much.

Such games tend to prosper by appealing to "enough" people who have the money to spend - and who don't mind paying for superfluous things.

To me, the only thing that matters is that I feel like I'm having fun and that I'm not spending time on "not having fun".

Warframe is particularly insidious - because it took me 100+ hours to fully understand my problem with it.

Once it dawned on me, though - my distaste for it grew very fast.

It's a very interesting thing, though - because it has a TON of dedicated fans and they all perpetuate this myth of a "fair" pricing model, which is just ludicruous.

For instance, I spent literally 60-70 hours grinding before I gained access to the Frame I wanted to play. When I say grind, I mean grind. There was NO way to gain access to that Frame except to redo the exact same kind of mission over and over - hundreds of times. It's 100% RNG.

The irony is that this Frame (called Ivara) is a stealth Frame. Meaning, she's very good at Stealth missions.

Guess what you have to grind to get her?

At the point I finally grinded all her parts - and I'd spent the requisite amount of days crafting her - I was so sick of Spy missions that I never actually bothered to use her, for that purpose.

Now, with that said - you can actually play the market in Warframe and you can grind certain Mods or Parts and sell them. Of course, this in itself will require many hours of practice and grinding - but it's doable.

But, to me, that's anything but fun and the last reason I play games. I'm not trying to became a stock broker - I'm trying to play a game.

Even if you DO earn money by playing the market - you still have to wait literally days to craft anything of value. All this crafting can be "sped up" by paying more money.

It's just absurdly greedy.

If you look at negative Steam reviews - it's full of disgruntled players who "finally" got sick of the grind. We're talking 500-1000 hours before they realised their addiction and the hollow nature of the content.

But I guess it works :)

Beside the fact than all around more powerful hardware have made more widespread action oriented games even on phones? Consoles have always been about action games, and PC have followed when everyone got a 3d card in there. Even for a crowd like ours you will find many to say than turn by turn games are too 'slow' or the Witcher 3 is not enough bloody button smashing oriented and has too much cinematic so elsewhere…

There is an archive of covers of the German game magazine "PC Games". http://www.pcgames.de/PC-Games-Brands-19921/Specials/PC-Games-Cover-Archiv-694662/
As you can see, the cover very much shows how much PC gaming has changed …

I just found an interesting article about difficulty in games, the disparity between PC, handhelds, Consoles and the three castes : Hardcore gamers, Casuals - and the "man-in-the-middle".
http://www.pcgames.de/Spiele-Thema-239104/Specials/Reportage-Schwierigkeitsgrad-in-Spielen-1271631/
It's in German language, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom