The TV Series discussion thread

After rinsing my eyes out thoroughly after attempting to watch Discard, I re-watched Orville with some friends and regained my sanity/composure. If you want to watch decent sci-fi, I suggest Orville or Expanse!!

Not sure why but I kinda don't have time for that one among other shows I'm overburden with. What's it about anyway? Two girls want to kill each other but fall in love with each other? Seen something like that already recently, but with two males.

One is a psychopathic assassin being hunted by MI5. The other works for British intelligence as a paper pusher, but has a previously unrecognized knack for solving mysteries. They become strangely obsessed with each other during the hunt.

One is a psychopathic assassin being hunted by MI5. The other works for British intelligence as a paper pusher, but has a previously unrecognized knack for solving mysteries. They become strangely obsessed with each other during the hunt.

And being written by Phoebe Waller-Bridge from Fleabag, it has a great sense of style and interplay to the dialog.

Finished His Dark Materials . . . . meh

Visually spectacular
Story plodded
acting was so so at best

Basically they stretched out the book to 8 episodes and it totally felt like it. They should have added 4 episodes and told the story of all three books. Don't know if I can come back for the next season with the smiling giggly lead girl. Remember how Dakota Fanning was screaming through out war of the worlds??? Well the lead in this series is damn near smiling through out.

Tried out the first two episodes of Lock and Key. It was okay, but I am distracted and thinking about heading over to the Amazon Prime series Hunter.

Thanks guys. One less on the "maybe worth risking" list.

We watched the first episode of Indebted starring Fran Drescher (the Nanny) and Steven Weber (Wings).

Basic plot: financially irresponsible parents who managed to get by without every managing money, have retired and are suddenly broke because their answer to everything involved spending too much money. So they come to see / live with their favorite child, their older son.

This show is ATROCIOUS. I mean, not ‘so bad it is good’, just one of the worst sitcoms I have ever watched … poorly written, awful characters, bad acting, and just overall not funny or engaging in any way.

Have there been any decent sitcoms of late? Modern family was funny during first seasons, but then I lost intrest. Later seasons seemed so forced and less genuine.

Atleast classic shows such as frasier, friends, seinfield, office and blackadder made me laugh. These new ones seem to be lacking something… On the other hand I really haven't been following this genre much.

Have there been any decent sitcoms of late?

Ones we have found ok:
- Good Girls
- Grace & Frankie
- Letterkenny
- Superstore is ok as ‘filler’

I know there were a couple more, but can’t recall.

I've both read 11/22/63 and seen the series. Both are worth checking out, my preference would be for the book form.

Yeah. I agree. I like James Franko but his character was so selfish sometimes. There is a different kind of main character in the book

Have there been any decent sitcoms of late?

Community
Curb Your Enthusiasm (by and with Larry David, Seinfeld's creator and writter)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

PS: none of these show has pre-recorded laugh tracks, by the grace of god...

Community
Curb Your Enthusiasm (by and with Larry David, Seinfeld's creator and writter)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

PS: none of these show has pre-recorded laugh tracks, by the grace of god…

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is nice one. Thanks

I very rarely watch anything on regular TV, but I have started watching Netflix and Amazon Prime since my wife already pays for that stuff. I really enjoyed Witcher, Lost in Space and the first season of Jack Ryan. I couldn't get into the 2nd season of it at all though. Need to check out other sci-fi stuff or fantasy. I've never seen any Game of Thrones stuff cheap yet, so that may be a few years off.

Other sf&f on Netflix… A word of warning of a sort.
We've mentioned before in this thread the german gem Dark.
Avoid it for the time being! Wait till it gets completed with the upcoming final (3rd) season in a few months.
Why? Because this show is highly challenging for our longterm memory.

The show won't be removed from Netflix as it's their production so there is another reason not to rush on it.

. . .and the first season of Jack Ryan. I couldn't get into the 2nd season of it at all though. . . ..

Yup, I really liked the first season of Jack Ryan, in particular because they finished the story line instead of dragging it out. The theme of the first season could have easily been stretched out for 2 or 3 seasons. But thank goodness they told the story they needed to tell and then got out. Sorry to hear about season two, but if they handle the overall plot like they did in season one, there still might be hope.

Yeah. I agree. I like James Franko but his character was so selfish sometimes. There is a different kind of main character in the book

OMG, I too kinda like Franko the actor, but sorry to hear they reinterpreted the main character from the book (11/22/63). OTOH, that reinterpretation should give the ending a more poignant moment. But I'm not sure it was needed.

Back
Top Bottom