Dragon Age: Inquisition - Discover the Dragon Age Video @ The Bioware Blog

aries100

SasqWatch
Cameron Lee has updated the Bioware Blog with a new video called Discover the Dragon Age. He also talks about what the video highlights:

Our new "Discover the Dragon Age" video highlights only some of the locations you can choose to visit during your adventure. Each area in the video has its own realistic ecosystem with predators, prey, factions, and opportunities to expand your Inquisition. The world's population is based on an emergent system that adjusts what you'll encounter based on how your actions tip the balance in the area. You'll see towns attacked by bandits, deer fleeing from wolves, giants feeding on bears, and countless other scenarios.
Bioware's David Hulegaard mentions it here on the Bioware DA: Inquisition forum.

There's further discussion about this new video and the blog update from Cameron Lee in this thread started by LPPrince at the Bioware DA: Inquisition forum.

More information.

Is that a new style fade.The graphics look very good.

Fantastic graphics and great variation in terms of scenery, though it seems there might be a bit too many locations that are barren for my taste. If it's going to be barren, I prefer deserts or plains instead of grey, desolate areas.

Anyway, I very much doubt graphics or locations will be an issue in DA3. What we've seen so far should be more than enough to impress most RPG players. Now we just need to know more about.. well, pretty much everything else.

To me there's something not quite right about the graphics they've been showing us. I can't quite put my finger on it, although it seems mostly related to the vegetation and the outdoor scenes. The interiors look fine.

In several parts, in particular outdoors, the style has significantly shifted over the last 12 months. It looks like they have been looking at witcher & skyrim vids!

To me there's something not quite right about the graphics they've been showing us. I can't quite put my finger on it, although it seems mostly related to the vegetation and the outdoor scenes. The interiors look fine.

I think it might be the distance haze. In some shots the effect is too strong, so that you can see the haze effect from the front to the back of a single tree. That makes it look unnatural.

Looks good.

Witcher 3 looks good.

And then there's the steaming pile that is ESO.

Aside from Bethesda dropping the ball and going stupid, it should be a heck of a year for RPGs.

In several parts, in particular outdoors, the style has significantly shifted over the last 12 months. It looks like they have been looking at witcher & skyrim vids!

The style haven't changed, it's different areas.

One of the place shown in the trailer is the same is the same as this old pic from the GI reveal of last year (just way more foggy in the trailer).

Wow now this is impressive - love those graphics. Little doubt this game will be eating up a lot of my time come fall.

At least visually is looking good, hope they really manage to clean the bad impression leaved by Dragon Age II...

Ok they got the graphics better , congrats.
If they get a +18 rating in Europe i may get interested.
The first one wasn't already 18+?

I think this serves as a good argument for why an RPG developer under the umbrella of a larger publisher might do well to consider leveraging engine technologies created under that umbrella - at least when its workable. There are a lot of things in those visuals to like, especially those shots of the fade. I hope that the attention they have paid to these sorts of things will also mean that asset reuse won't be quite as painfully obvious this time around. Nothing wrong with smartly reusing assets mind you, it just should take far more than a cursory glance to tell when its being done.

I do agree though that some of the foliage - particularly the leafy green plants and the evergreens - looks oddly worse than the other elements. That's probably something that could still be improved, given the almost plug and play nature of 3rd party foliage generating tools. At this stage in development though, it might have to wait for mods but at least ESO games have shown us there are a lot of modders out there who are ready and able to beef up the look of crummy plant assets.

After looking at this and Kingdom Come: Deliverance I wonder if Bethesda might need to take a harder look at the current/next iteration of idtech engine or maybe nudge Zenimax to consider regarding Crytek with a hungry eye. That is at least if they want the next Fallout or TES game to be able to compete on visuals at least. I know carmack had said that Idtech 5 was poorly suited to dense open wolrd games (dense with buildings, npcs, or greenery even) so that would probably depend on whether idtech 6 was going to be any more suitable. Though maybe a more open-world suitable adaptation of the things that idtech does well is what the whole Void Engine is all about?
Zenimax does also have two studios currently developing for the latest Crytek engine though, so maybe BGS can be talked into licensing an engine too.

I also like how impressive CDProjekt RED's latest implementations of their Red Engine look. It's even more impressive that it was developed internally and did not require acquisition of/co-ownership of an existing engine development house to pull off. I wonder if what they've done with their purpose built Red Engine 3 is something that other developers could really hope to emulate or if it is fated to be a relatively solitary accomplishment made possible by some unique combination of talented engineers on their staff. Obviously a purpose built or extremely modified engine, when done well, has huge advantages over something more off-the-shelf but it can't be particularly easy.

Last edited:
Those are some state of the art graphics right there, some mouth watering beauty!

In B4 DA2 hate posts ;)
If you'll look carefully you'll notice that the texture used for several of the trees is the same. They're re-using textures AGAIN! BURN YOU EA/BIOWARE HYBRID!! ;)

The graphics are looking great. We'll have to wait and see how the game goes.

P.S. The graphics may have gotten better because they've had time to digest what the new consoles can do and upgrade accordingly.

Is this the in-game graphic? If it is in-game graphic... my PC may need huge upgrade before I can run this game (aw, hell). Graphics look really impressive (reminds me of a spring of Skyrim), but no info on story or gameplay... still will have to wait and see. By the way, the green beam from sky really reminded me of the ending of ME3, which got me rather worried (not the blue, green, red ending again, please!). I know, it's probably meant to be a tear in the veil, but yeah...

Hmm.. I wish I could say that I'm as impressed as others seem to be. To me, it looks good from a technical perspective, but the art direction just seems...generic?

Looks good.

Witcher 3 looks good.

And then there's the steaming pile that is ESO.

Aside from Bethesda dropping the ball and going stupid, it should be a heck of a year for RPGs.

:S I don't even like Bethesda or the ES series but even I think its a bit unnecessary to attack the visuals of an MMO when compared against a regular singleplayer game.

Is this the in-game graphic? If it is in-game graphic… my PC may need huge upgrade before I can run this game (aw, hell).
Yeah, new PC planned for this fall, with DA3 and TW3 waiting...

Hmm.. I wish I could say that I'm as impressed as others seem to be. To me, it looks good from a technical perspective, but the art direction just seems…generic?

Yeah I do not find the art direction particularly stelar but I think its ok and the game definitely looks good overall. (I only need that GTX870 and I am set for this and TW3 ;) )

But graphics will only get you so far. So my main questions for this game would be:

1) Is the gameplay more close to DA:O (things seem to indicate that it may be so hopefully that aspect will pass muster)?

2) Is the writing palatable? On a gameplay presentation I've seen a couple of months ago, it comes off as a bit pompous and contrived (and of questionable quality) and that is something that I get a lot from Bioware's output for the last few years (lots of teenage angst feeling relationshipy stuff and OT epicness. Just not my thing too I guess). I have to say I was OK with DA:O though. I didn't think it stellar but it was definitely not detracting from the overall game either and some of the characters were interesting and made sense so I guess if this one feels like DA:O I will be more than Ok.

3) World design and openness. This trailer makes it seem that there is a sizable, well made world to explore and they did say that their maps are quite a bit bigger now iirc. So if they have taken some steps to make exploration a thing here I am definitely more interested.

All in all more than willing to keep an open mind (and eye) for this one. DA:O came out of nowhere after I'd long given up on them and I enjoyed it very much at the time, so a repeat performance seems feasible (and would be very welcome ;)).

Definitely waiting for the Watch's verdict first though ;)

Back
Top Bottom