Windows XP / Morrowind & Dual OS setups

D

Deleted User

Hey all.

I am thinking about setting up a Windows XP partition on a hard drive in hopes that it increases the performance of Morrowind with mods. I have heard it does, so I'd like to try it.

Does anyone here have any experience with a modded Morrowind game on an XP partition? I'd like to know if it's going to be worth doing this. I think it will be since older games in general should work better on native XP, right?

Thanks!

Play the TW3 and forget about what you are talking about.:lol::lol::lol:

It's for my dad's ancient computer. He is a huge Morrowind fan and never has been a computer gamer much so I wanted to get him set up with a good modded version of Morrowind. It runs alright (better than the Xbox 360 runs it anyway), but I think with an XP partition it will run even better.

Edit - Guess I have to get a copy of Windows XP to test it. Hope it works.

Last edited:
I remember reading this before and wondered if you ever gave this a go?

If you have newer hardware, at least not really old hardware, I'd presume/suggest that Windows 7 would be better than XP.

Morrowind's main problem is how it renders things (even when it shouldn't) and being very CPU bound. Though with mods it can tax a GPU also, so newer hardware helps but also needs drivers for the operating system. So I wouldn't be surprised if XP is actually a bad choice since the game works fine on Windows 7.

That is correct, winXP needs to bite the dust, use win7 instead if older OS is necessary.
But I'd also suggest vmware instead of dual boot. Sooner or later we'll all use that or hyper-v anyway to avoid malware instead of sandboxie and freezone.

I didn't try it, Watchtower. Still thinking about the best solution. I was thinking of maybe getting a Steam Link for my old man so he can stream modded Morrowind from my PC, or maybe just get him his own Steam Machine. Something like the Alienware Steam Machine should be enough to run a solid modded Morrowind with upgraded visuals and not break the bank for a full-blown gaming PC.

about Morrowind

I am playing Morrowind right now. I was playing Skyrim, but I've been at it for literally years.

Am I that behind times. I have windows XP OS, and the reason I don't use it is Microsoft has quit updating it. If you have a problem, they will deny service to you. As they don't support it anymore. They quit doing that two or three years ago, maybe more its been a while.

I have the GOTY Morrowind. So expansions...the works. I do not go through steam, or at least I try not to. If I use steam, it's because I have to. I have two skyrim games and both will only run on Steam. Steam will install any patchs you need, and that's where it's value ends, in my opinion. On the back of every install disk is a little extension called compatibility, I use it always.

Back
Top Bottom