Dark Souls - Being Remastered

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamespot Dark Souls is getting remastered for Switch and all other major platforms.

Nintendo has a reputation for strong first-party games but limited third-party support. But with Nintendo Switch, the company is looking to turn that reputation around. And with today's surprise announcement of Dark Souls Remastered, the hybrid console is looking like an even friendlier platform for hardcore gaming experiences.

Nintendo ended today's Direct Mini presentation with a very short trailer and a May 25 release for Dark Souls Remastered. Dark Souls' previous re-release on PC was dubbed the Prepare to Die edition, which makes it sound a separate version of the game. However, in a press release following the Direct, Nintendo clarified that Remastered "includes the Artorias of the Abyss DLC, as well as improved framerate and resolution from the original." A remastered version of Dark Souls is also coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

[...]
More information.

We can hope but history suggest not.

That’s not necessarily true. 1 was a mess but 2 and 3 were playable out of the box. That includes proper M&K support.

Having said that though I don’t expect much more than some texture upgrades.

They will get the mouse and keyboard sorted, they have had a lot of practice since.

I think that the textures are already well done (and can be further enhanced with mods).

What I think that they 'should' really do is bring Demon Souls to PC, otherwise this gem will be lost forever (I prefer it to Dark Souls 1).

Dark Souls was unfinished in some areas. Especially Lost Izalith was rushed, and like most people, Miyazaki is neither a fan of the Bed of Chaos. Maybe this is hoping too much, but if they could finish whatever they had to cut short and replace the BoC with Miyazaki's preferred design, that would be absolutely amazing. Would sell a kidney to see that. Almost.

Interesting news for sure. Obviously most of us have already been playing with DSFix and its associated mods to enable keyboard and mouse support, but if From really get their act together on this, I'd definitely be lining up to play again. I never did beat DS1 with a pure mauler type build...(Played and finished with a cleric, rogue and pure sorcerer...)

I must admit, that when I first read this news I envisaged a remake via the DS3 engine. To be honest, I hope this doesn't happen simply because I much prefer the more plodding nature of the original game.

Another factor to consider will be cost to the fans - will there be a discount I wonder to those who have bought and supported the game previously?

Interesting news for sure. Obviously most of us have already been playing with DSFix and its associated mods to enable keyboard and mouse support, but if From really get their act together on this, I'd definitely be lining up to play again. I never did beat DS1 with a pure mauler type build…(Played and finished with a cleric, rogue and pure sorcerer…)

I must admit, that when I first read this news I envisaged a remake via the DS3 engine. To be honest, I hope this doesn't happen simply because I much prefer the more plodding nature of the original game.

Another factor to consider will be cost to the fans - will there be a discount I wonder to those who have bought and supported the game previously?

If this is true,

It will use DS3 engine.

It will have new content.

It will be 1/2 price for steam owners.

And I will be buying it.

If this is true.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/dark-souls-remastered-steam-50-discount

EDIT- seems I was too excited for my own good. This “ new content” just seems to be the dlc content. Disingenuous marketing. I’ll still grab the game at a discount though.

Last edited:
New content? Definite buy from me if that's true.

New content? Definite buy from me if that's true.

It will not be new content. Mostly just a port for Nintendo Switch.

I think they can import all the old maps into the latest Dark Souls game engine that runs at 60fps and fix up Blight Town FPS issues with some LOD or fog or something flog it to the rabid PC fanbase again for easy profit.

I'm sure I'll buy it anyway just to be part of the Dark Souls 1 PvP revival. What I want to know is how will invading be handled? Each game has it's own iteration and we can all agree that SL1 invaders with upgraded weapons wasn't fair, but that is all part of the Dark Souls 1 experience.

They will get the mouse and keyboard sorted, they have had a lot of practice since.

I think that the textures are already well done (and can be further enhanced with mods).

What I think that they 'should' really do is bring Demon Souls to PC, otherwise this gem will be lost forever (I prefer it to Dark Souls 1).

Yes, Demon's Souls would be a great addition if you're into the franchise.

It's the only Souls game I bothered to play much, but - then again - the genre isn't really my style.

...the genre isn't really my style.
Well, your perspective on it seems to be changing, over the years. I mean, what was it you were saying back when the PC port first hit? It's pretty much just a Diablo clone? Now its worthy of its own genre! You're just one step away from appreciating that genre.

Fallout 4 Survival
Skyrim modded
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Divinity Original Sin 2
The Division
Diablo 3
Witcher 2
Mass Effect
Dragon Age: Origins
Risen
You know these? I've played all these games.

You like 3D games with a scenic view, have a good GPU. Prefer first person, but don't mind 3rd person. Risen and Witcher2 combat in 3rd person is fine. Division, Diablo3 suggest you like multiplayer and don't have to spend half the gametime reading/listening to the story to enjoy yourself.

So, where does Dark Souls fail? Sure, 1 is a flawed gem that can be difficult to get in to, 2 has playstation3 graphics, but 3 is a quality AAA production. Go play Dark Souls 3 co-op with your brother or something. It's way better than Division. Way better than Risen! There's really just not enough good RPGs around to boycott the Souls series.

Well, your perspective on it seems to be changing, over the years. I mean, what was it you were saying back when the PC port first hit? It's pretty much just a Diablo clone? Now its worthy of its own genre! You're just one step away from appreciating that genre.

I never said it was a Diablo clone in a literal sense - I said it was essentially the same formula with a different perspective and the emphasis on action combat.

I like Diablo clones for the most part, because they don't waste my time deliberately.

Even so, there are crappy Diablo clones too. A genre isn't good in and of itself - it's all about execution and implentation of features.

So, where does Dark Souls fail? Sure, 1 is a flawed gem that can be difficult to get in to, 2 has playstation3 graphics, but 3 is a quality AAA production. Go play Dark Souls 3 co-op with your brother or something. It's way better than Division. Way better than Risen! There's really just not enough good RPGs around to boycott the Souls series.

Same as always, the game doesn't reward the effort you're expected to put into it.

All you do is learn patterns to avoid wasting your time through lost progress against endless respawns and I find exploration bland and repetitive. The story is obscure and not at all compelling in its presentation.

Combat is more or less melee-centric and archery/stealth aspects are minimal and crappy.

I find the stat-obsessive progresion dull as dishwater (Wow! 1 more in strength - how fun) - and the crafting/loot system is limited.

I think I might have appreciated it a lot more if the cooperative mode wasn't such a pathetic joke.

Even dreary and repetitive games like Souls can be fun when shared.

I don't boycott games, though. I just don't play crappy ones.

If the next Souls game is better, I'll be more than happy to give it a go.

I think dark souls is a love or hate formula. I love it but I can definitely understand people not liking it.

I can’t See any correlation between diablo and dark souls though.

Diablo has random loot system, DS is hand place. Diablo is very stat driven, dark souls much more skill driven, Diablo combat is simple clicking then waiting for skills to cool down on your tool bar against hordes of enemies, DS is more about fighting a few or 1 on 1 battles, learning patterns and perfecting move sets. Diablo revolves around completing quests to advance dark souls doesn’t.

I could keep listing diffences but I’m struggling to find any similarities.

I like Diablo clones for the most part, because they don't waste my time deliberately.
The distance the carrot is held from the donkey?
All you do is learn patterns to avoid wasting your time through lost progress against endless respawns and I find exploration bland and repetitive.
Your simplistic view of mastering the combat system does no service to the game or yourself! Patterns are everything and everywhere in all games; games made of numbers. If a combat system needs to be so easy that nothing needs to be learned then you're pretty much just into skinner box gambling mechanics and their cheap dopamine hit. I don't get bored of games while I'm still learning them. That comes later when I can beat everyone and get bored and move on to the next engaging learning phase. Studying a monsters behavior and AI and appreciating the intricacy of the attack patterns, observing how they'll purposefully and thoughtfully throw you off by accustoming you one timing then throwing in a crazy off-time attack is immensely enjoyable to me and I think about the developer who designed it while I experience it. Once you've mastered the AI try some PVP and your item knowledge will be tested and you'll no doubt learn some new tricks and want the weapon they're using which you never found. +1 STR is very exciting when that's all you need to wield your new weapon and the sacrifice you made in other areas let you use it at a powerful time.

If the next Souls game is better, I'll be more than happy to give it a go.
Well, if that means becoming proficient at the game will merely require a large number of mouse clicks over a game-length period of time and no time-wasting learning of adversaries abilities or exploration then lets hope not!

The distance the carrot is held from the donkey?

No, the lack of a carrot.

Your simplistic view of mastering the combat system does no service to the game or yourself! Patterns are everything and everywhere in all games; games made of numbers. If a combat system needs to be so easy that nothing needs to be learned then you're pretty much just into skinner box gambling mechanics and their cheap dopamine hit. I don't get bored of games while I'm still learning them. That comes later when I can beat everyone and get bored and move on to the next engaging learning phase. Studying a monsters behavior and AI and appreciating the intricacy of the attack patterns, observing how they'll purposefully and thoughtfully throw you off by accustoming you one timing then throwing in a crazy off-time attack is immensely enjoyable to me and I think about the developer who designed it while I experience it. Once you've mastered the AI try some PVP and your item knowledge will be tested and you'll no doubt learn some new tricks and want the weapon they're using which you never found. +1 STR is very exciting when that's all you need to wield your new weapon and the sacrifice you made in other areas let you use it at a powerful time.

I wish I cared enough about mastering combat systems in crappy games, but I'm afraid I don't.

It's not the combat system or the fact that it's not easy to master that's the problem - it's that mastering it gives you nothing, because the game is not worth it. Once again, all the content I find compelling is missing. Interesting exploration, interesting stories, interesting characters, interesting progression and so forth.

Being able to use new weapons by increasing my stats is fine - but since I'm still stuck with melee combat when I really want to be a stealth archer isn't going to change much. It's a nice feature - but very far from enough to entertain me.

Some people think mastering Tetris is worth it - for whatever reason. I'm sure that's very hard and challenging. But I see no reward in that game, either. So, I don't bother mastering it.

Also, my ego isn't affected by mastering computer games. It's of no value to me in itself. I want to be rewarded if I'm going to invest in something. I learned that the hard way, I'm afraid.

I don't need a boring game to feel good about mastering something. I would much rather master a game that's rewarding - or, even better, something that might actually make a difference outside of the game itself.

To each his own, though.

Well, if that means becoming proficient at the game will merely require a large number of mouse clicks over a game-length period of time and no time-wasting learning of adversaries abilities or exploration then lets hope not!

It means not being boring in all the ways I mentioned.

It's not that complicated.

You're still stuck with an overwhelming ego. You still can't go beyond yourself and appreciate that your opinion about the game is not my opinion about the game.

I don't mind you loving it - but you mind me not loving it. That's why you keep going in circles and yet you keep failing to listen.

That's not really worth our time, is it? :)

but since I'm still stuck with melee combat when I really want to be a stealth archer
The playstyle of a coward! Not even a visible archer or a wizard getting the advantage with a first-strike. You want to completely avoid fighting by remaining hidden after you attack; picking them off one by one while they look around for you and you laugh at them from the top of a wall and feel clever because they can't get up there anyway. I can see how Dark Souls isn't accommodating in this respect. That said, I always have a Composite Bow on me in any Dark Souls and think archery is actually quite well implemented without being overpowered. I'm no stranger to using stealth (literally by walking - not some invisibility magic toggle or turning into a shrubbery) and sneaking up on an unsuspecting foe for a backstab. Same as in Skyrim only not 50x damage or whatever.
You're still stuck with an overwhelming ego. You still can't go beyond yourself and appreciate that your opinion about the game is not my opinion about the game.

I don't mind you loving it - but you mind me not loving it. That's why you keep going in circles and yet you keep failing to listen.
I am of the belief that your opinion is slowly changing.

You say ego but what you should be saying is bravery.

You don't mind that I'm brave but I mind that you're not brave. Why? Because I understand what it is like to let fear stop you from doing something awesome (and Fallout4 was certainly not the best game of the last decade)

I just have more faith in you than you do. You think you need to hide in the shadows and I think you can handle a bit of melee if you man up a bit. Everything else you say about no interesting this and that comes from your initial impression of Demon Souls. The series has come a long way and so has your general acceptance of it as being one of the best ARPG around for some people but you keep going in circles and missing not-crappy game after game because you sucked at Demon Souls and blamed the game. Now you're afraid if the games are not broken then you have to face up to being bad at them. Where SirJames bravely succeeds you complain you can't hide in the game and hide from the game. I'll bet you even own a real bow.

If you want to break the loop take off your hood, step out of the shadows and into the light! You'll get your easy game with a sunbro at your side! Bravery is the first step! The monsters are not as scary as they look! \[T]/

edxxw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom